18% of people don't know Ted Cruz's name!

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Did the people know Jimmy Carter before he became president?

the people in Georgia did :idunno:

and these guys

Mr_peanut.png

logo.jpg

republicanchick

I
I don't hate Cruz. I just wouldn't vote for him. I wouldn't vote for Hillary either.

See: Coda.

we're supposed to believe this?

ha ha... You count on that partition being there @ voting time.. But i know darn good and well you libs will vote for the lib every time

despite the corruption, the lies, the deceptions, the ineptitude

Moron City
+

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
we're supposed to believe this?
Sure. I've proven I don't test the wind before making a point.

ha ha... You count on that partition being there @ voting time.. But i know darn good and well you libs will vote for the lib every time despite the corruption, the lies, the deceptions, the ineptitude

Moron City
I don't know if you're stupid, but when you write something like that you might as well be.

I think you sound stupid when you write something like that. I don't think you are stupid, but when you write something like that you might as well be. (coda)

I don't hate Cruz. I just wouldn't vote for him. I wouldn't vote for Hillary either.
What in particular about Cruz disqualifies him for your vote? I'm not saying I would vote for anybody at the moment.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What in particular about Cruz disqualifies him for your vote? I'm not saying I would vote for anybody at the moment.
He, like his good friend Scalia are textualists. They believe in reading a law or Amendment as literally and narrowly as possible, rejecting contextual and even the stated intent of the authors. That's a consistent position, but I think it's fundamentally mistaken and its too important an issue to have engaged with the power of the White House. Among the victims of that approach? Your right to privacy, which is nowhere literally set out in the Constitution.

He, like his good friend Scalia are textualists. They believe in reading a law or Amendment as literally and narrowly as possible, rejecting contextual and even the stated intent of the authors. That's a consistent position, but I think it's fundamentally mistaken and its too important an issue to have engaged with the power of the White House. Among the victims of that approach? Your right to privacy, which is nowhere literally set out in the Constitution.
Do you hold that same view when reading the Bible, that is, not taking it literally?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you hold that same view when reading the Bible, that is, not taking it literally?
Not really a parallel and I'm not sure why you're veering from a fairly straight forward answer and one particularly serious consequence of it in opposition.

The Bible is filled with both the literal and the figurative. Unless you believe trees can clap non existent hands and mountains shout you believe that too. And understanding the author's intent is important.

"For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12

Not really a parallel and I'm not sure why you're veering from a fairly straight forward answer and one particularly serious consequence of it in opposition.

The Bible is filled with both the literal and the figurative. Unless you believe trees can clap non existent hands and mountains shout you believe that too. And understanding the author's intent is important.

"For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12

The framework that the US Constitution hangs on is the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers, Articles of Federation and various correspondance written by the Founders. I believe we know without a doubt what the Constitution means. It's tragic that the South were adament about keeping the institution of slavery intact.

You bring up the right of privacy. If the Founders had the foresight to know what technology could do, there might have been another Amendment to the original 10 in the Bill of Rights. But when you have activist justices, you are taking away from the balance of the three branches of government. So I don't have a problem with Cruz in that respect. I may have in others, but it's too soon to know. I have a much more liberal view on immigration for example.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The framework that the US Constitution hangs on is the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers, Articles of Federation and various correspondance written by the Founders.
Not if you accept Scalia and Cruz by the limitations they impose. It's context free, forget the footnotes or intent. What does it say and what doesn't it say. That's it.

I believe we know without a doubt what the Constitution means.
I think everyone feels that way.

It's tragic that the South were adament about keeping the institution of slavery intact.
It's tragic the North agreed and took profit by it for generations. Tragedy all around. Not sure what that has to do with Cruz either though. :think:

You bring up the right of privacy.
Yeah. It's important. Its protections are fairly meaningful for the average citizen in exercise.

If the Founders had the foresight to know what technology could do, there might have been another Amendment to the original 10 in the Bill of Rights.
Probably so, but it wasn't necessary and there's nothing in the original framer's writings to indicate they were textualists and much in their writing to indicate they were anything but.

But when you have activist justices, you are taking away from the balance of the three branches of government. So I don't have a problem with Cruz in that respect.
The struggle between branches will never end, but any review of law and execution of it is absolutely necessary to actually maintain a rough balance of powers. If we reduce the Court to yes men for the legislature, we take a step away from the intent of a republic in the first place and a step closer to mob rule, however formalized.

Our founders wouldn't have cared for that notion either.

I may have in others, but it's too soon to know. I have a much more liberal view on immigration for example.
I suspect most Americans do too.

SaulToPaul 2

wow,

this was said on Fox News earlier

well, I think we have confirmation that there are far more low info voters than high info. I mean, GEEZ, they didn't even know who Ted Cruz is?

and then there are those who have heard his name, know who he is, but... still low info... Are we in big trouble (again)?

but this 18%.. is almost like NO info voters... well, No info people, I mean.. not sure whether Fox meant those 18%ers were voters or not... definitely hope not

sigh

+

After Top Gun, I thought everyone knew his name.

Not if you accept Scalia and Cruz by the limitations they impose. It's context free, forget the footnotes or intent. What does it say and what doesn't it say. That's it.
You can't unlearn something once it is learned -- at least it's hard for me. I guarantee you they've read the documents I quoted.

It's tragic the North agreed and took profit by it for generations. Tragedy all around. Not sure what that has to do with Cruz either though. :think:
Only in the sense that the Founders always thought the US Constitution would be and needed to be amended over time. For some reason, I thought that was important to state.

Probably so, but it wasn't necessary and there's nothing in the original framer's writings to indicate they were textualists and much in their writing to indicate they were anything but.
I disagree with you here. Justices still use the Federalist Papers in their interpretations.

The struggle between branches will never end, but any review of law and execution of it is absolutely necessary to actually maintain a rough balance of powers. If we reduce the Court to yes men for the legislature, we take a step away from the intent of a republic in the first place and a step closer to mob rule, however formalized.
On the contrary, the Justices frequently say no when the legislature or appeals court oversteps its authority.