ECT Why Were Only Some of the Jewish Believers Baptized Into the Body of Christ?

Jerry Shugart

There are many people on this forum who insist that only some of the Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ. Here Paul makes it plain that Jewish believers were indeed baptized into the Body of Christ in the first century:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"
(1 Cor.12:13).​

I need some evidence from the Scriptures which support the idea that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body and not all of them were.

So I am asking those who assert that only some of them were so baptized to give passages from the Scriptures to back up their claim.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I need some evidence from the Scriptures which support the idea that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body and not all of them were.

So I am asking those who assert that only some of them were so baptized to give passages from the Scriptures to back up their claim.

Not all Jews believed Jesus is the Christ.

"So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets from morning till evening. And some were persuaded by the things which were spoken and some disbelieved." (Acts 28:23-24)

glorydaz

There are many people on this forum who insist that only some of the Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ. Here Paul makes it plain that Jewish believers were indeed baptized into the Body of Christ in the first century:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"

As you know, Jerry, I have no idea, but wonder if maybe those like Apollos (before he was taken aside) might be who you're talking about.

Acts 18:24-26 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. 26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.​

turbosixx

I would suggest to you that at the cross, the separation of Jew and Gentile ceased. After the DBR when the bible refers to Jew or Gentile, it's referring to their former state. Those who choose to remain in their former state are non-Christians and those in Christ are Christians. I hope we can agree there is no separation in Christ.

Paul says the church was purchase with Jesus's blood(cross).
Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jesus made both groups one by his blood and tore down the dividing wall.
Eph. 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

The dividing wall was the law and it was removed at the cross. I suggest to you that that is why the veil was torn by God at Jesus's death. He was showing that no longer were we to approach him trough the physical temple.
Eph. 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
Col. 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Jerry Shugart

As you know, Jerry, I have no idea, but wonder if maybe those like Apollos (before he was taken aside) might be who you're talking about.

If you have no idea then why in the world do you think that only some of them were baptized into the Body? How can you argue over and over that some of the first century Jewish believers were not in the Body since you have no reason for thinking that?

I don't think Apollos helps you in anyway because Paul said this about him:

"Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one" (1 Cor.3:5-8).​

Of course Apollos became a Christian before he even heard Paul's gospel but despite that Peter said that he and Apollos are one.

Do you deny that Apollos was a member of the Body of Christ?

Jerry Shugart

I would suggest to you that at the cross, the separation of Jew and Gentile ceased.

I would suggest that you are wrong. It is obvious that the children of Israel remained the LORD's special people after the Cross, as witnessed by Peter's words to them here:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began" (Acts 3:19-21).​

Anyone who knows anything about the teaching for the Body of Christ knows that what Peter said there is not addressed to those in the Body of Christ. His words were addressed to the nation of Israel so it is clear that at that time that nation had not been cast aside yet.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Anyone who knows anything about the teaching for the Body of Christ knows that what Peter said there is not addressed to those in the Body of Christ. His words were addressed to the nation of Israel so it is clear that at that time that nation had not been cast aside yet.

God gave forty years for Judah's conversion.

Peter's speech didn't reach the nations of Israel until centuries later.

Danoh

I am asking why some say that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ.

Because some somewhat RIGHTLY divide those thing that DIFFER in Scripture WITHIN God's TWO-Fold Purpose: Prophecy (The Israel of God) AND Mystery (The Body of Christ).

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

Jerry Shugart

Because some somewhat RIGHTLY divide those thing that DIFFER in Scripture WITHIN God's TWO-Fold Purpose: Prophecy (The Israel of God) AND Mystery (The Body of Christ).

You did not provide any evidence from the Scriptures which shows that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ and some of them were not.

I say that all of them were and the Scriptures will be searched in vain for any evidence that demomstrates only some of them were.

Where are the Scriptures which you think proves that only some of them were baptized into the Body of Christ?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Yes indeed some where not baptised. These verses paint a pretty haphazard start to the early church. I think this type of confusion and many others have existed in the church right up until today. Moments of greater clarity were noticeably when Constantine tried to get the church to organise itself and when Martin Luther/the printing press tried to bring better understand of the scriptures to the masses. Then the KJB. The internet and now finally we are waiting for Elijah to prepare us with correct theology for Jesus' return. To name but a few.

Acts 19
1While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5O hearing this, they were baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7There were about twelve men in all.

Danoh

You did not provide any evidence from the Scriptures which shows that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ and some of them were not.

I say that all of them were and the Scriptures will be searched in vain for any evidence that demomstrates only some of them were.

Where are the Scriptures which you think proves that only some of them were baptized into the Body of Christ?

You have consistently proven that until you go back to The Basic Question, there will be no point addressing your errors much beyond a sound byte.

Sound bytes don't take up much time.

Which dealing with you requires (given how married you often prove you are to your errors).

The Basic Question being "why Paul?"

There were already the Twelve, so why another Apostle?

And why the Body - for there was already the Israel of God.

Clearly, you haven't a clue that God's is a TWO-Fold Purpose: (Prophecy) AND Mystery.

You're asserting a hybrid (mix) of both...as one.

Time you Google the following five words, towards re-reading the following...

pdf things that differ stam

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

DAN P

Hi Jerry and there were ONLY 2 groups of people that Paul preached too, Gentiles and Jews !!

As way as I can see , these are the group that are in the B O C and I know that I missed some , but these are the MAIN PEOPLE !!

#1 Paul , Acts 9:6

#2 , Barnabas , Acts 13:12

#3 , Timothy in 1 Tim 1-4

#4, Simeon Acts 13:7

#5, Lucius Acts 13:1-7

#6 Manaen Acts 13:1-7

#7, Serguis , proconeul Acts

#8 Apollos , Acts 18:26 and 27

#9, Silas , Acts 18:5

#10 Mark Acts 12:25

And in Acts 21:19 many GENTILES / ENTHOS that were saved under Paul's ministry , Acts 21:19

dan p

DAN P

Hi Jerry and had to come back and quote 2 Cor 3:13-15 and verse 14 says " FOR UNTIL THIS DAY , during Paul's earthly ministry and the reading of the Old Covenant , the same covering REMAINS , easy to see why NOT MANY Jews where saved !!

Only God KNOWS !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

The Basic Question being "why Paul?"

What about Paul? Did he have something to do with your idea that only some of the the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ? Is there some evidence that demonstrates that only those who heard Paul's gospel were baptized into the Body?

And why the Body - for there was already the Israel of God.

Yes, and there are those who Paul described as the remnant out of Israel (Ro.11:5). Were they banned from being in the Body for some reason? If so, what evidence from the Scriptures can you give that proves that?

Were there two remnants, one belonging to the Body and another not? If so, let's see your evidence.

In the following passage Paul speaks of both the Jews and the Gentiles being in the Body and I do not see any evidence that would limit any Jews from being in the Body:

"But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby" (Eph.2:13-16).​

I see no evidence that Paul was only speaking of only some of the Jewish being in the Body. He says that the middle wall of partition between the Jews and the Gentiles has been broken down but if your ideas are right then there still remains a partial wall between the Gentiles and some of the Jews. Is that what you believe? Scriptures?

Anyway, I have presented several options for you to defend your ideas and if you agree with any of them all you have to do is to provide the Scriptures. You no longer have to talk in generalities but can focus on actual evidence from the Scriptures.

And if you do not agree with any of them you can make up your own. Have at it.

Jerry Shugart

Hi Jerry and there were ONLY 2 groups of people that Paul preached too, Gentiles and Jews !!

As way as I can see , these are the group that are in the B O C and I know that I missed some , but these are the MAIN PEOPLE !!

Yes, he preached to both Gentiles and Jews. So what is your point?

DAN P

Yes, he preached to both Gentiles and Jews. So what is your point?

Hi Jerry , and 2 Cor 3:13-15 , Jews had a VAIL that covered their heart , until , Paul says in Paul's ministry to Israel !

Get glasses SIR !!

And verse 16 says , that VAIL will only be taken always when that Jew should turn to the Lord !!

What is your PROBLEM , Jerry to believe 2 Cor 3:13-16 ??

This why Jews are not NOT being saved , like in Acts 2:41 !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Get glasses SIR !!

The subject of this thread is about Jewish believers. And the teaching of many on this forum is that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ and others were not.

So give the Scriptures which you think demonstrates that only some were baptized into the Body and not all of those believers. We are not talking about any Jews who did not believe but instead those who did believe. Why were some of them baptized into the Body and others were not?

Please provide any evidence which you have that is found in the Scriptures.

turbosixx

Of course it's addressed to Israel, the gospel is for them FIRST.
Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Acts 13:46 And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.

Where do you see the gospel spoken to the Jews first?

Last edited: