ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
For starters ALL Roman Catholic members of my own family.
Also my Roman Catholic friends.
They all want to talk about the rosary, or Mary, or the Pope (now permitting Islamic prayers for the first in the Vatican --- http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...slamic-prayers-to-be-held-at-the-Vatican.html), etc.

When I start telling them that it is Jesus Christ and what He did exclusively, they all simply don't want to talk about Him.

That's my experience.

Maybe they are trying to dispell your misunderstanding about those elements of the Catholic Church? It's your family, ask them, but don't base the opinions of the other one billion members of the Catholic Church due to conversations with your family.

Maybe an open minded visit to a course offering an introduction to the Catholic faith would be more benefical (such as I am attending at present, it's full of protestants asking every question possible). There should be something like that in your local parish. Mine's tonight for a couple of hours (runs once a week for 6 weeks with 2 week break in the middle), a chance to really see what the church teaches...I have been pleasantly surprised.

As for your comment about Muslim prayers in the Vatican, you forgot to mention it was set up during a meeting of the Israeli and Palestinian Premier's visits to encourage peaceful dialogue between all parties. Nothing wrong with that.

lifeisgood

Maybe they are trying to dispell your misunderstanding about those elements of the Catholic Church? It's your family, ask them, but don't base the opinions of the other one billion members of the Catholic Church due to conversations with your family.

Maybe an open minded visit to a course offering an introduction to the Catholic faith would be more benefical (such as I am attending at present, it's full of protestants asking every question possible). There should be something like that in your local parish. Mine's tonight for a couple of hours (runs once a week for 6 weeks with 2 week break in the middle), a chance to really see what the church teaches...I have been pleasantly surprised.

So, now all the other members of my family are NOT Roman Catholics and they have made up their own religion. Got it.

As for your comment about Muslim prayers in the Vatican, you forgot to mention it was set up during a meeting of the Israeli and Palestinian Premier's visits to encourage peaceful dialogue between all parties. Nothing wrong with that.

So, you're OK with it. Got it.

You're OK to participate with another religion that negates the Father and the Son. Got it.

You do realize that Islam has no father, right?
You do realize that Islam, therefore, has no son, right?

You do realize what the Roman Catholic Bible says about that, right? No Father, No Son, No eternal life, right?

And you're OK with that, right?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
So, now all the other members of my family are NOT Roman Catholics and they have made up their own religion. Got it.

So, you're OK with it. Got it.

You're OK to participate with another religion that negates the Father and the Son. Got it.

You do realize that Islam has no father, right?
You do realize that Islam, therefore, has no son, right?u

You do realize what the Roman Catholic Bible says about that, right? No Father, No Son, No eternal life, right?

And you're OK with that, right?

No, you haven't 'Got it', as you say, far from it indeed.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
With all respect to you, you need to think a little deeper on this one.

Thankfully, the Church already has. Let's see what they say about it:

The Church's relationship with the Muslims.
'The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day'

The Church's bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:
All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city...(331 NA 1.)

The Catholic Church recognises in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as 'a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life'.

Catechism of the Catholic Church 841-843 (please excuse any typos, typing from phone).

So, like I said earlier, nothing wrong with it that I can see. I'm glad the Israeli and Palestinian Premiers met at the Vatican, I don't mind Muslim prayers were allowed, I don't mind at all that the parties tried to resolve their differences to stop the bloodshed.

lifeisgood

I don't have any reason to believe that you did
and
I do have reason to believe you will not accept what any catholic on this forum says

I accept what any Roman Catholic says, for that matter, I accept what every Muslim says, however, when I do the research about what was said to me, what is said does not go with the evidence.

I accept that Roman Catholics say that they do not worship Mary, for example, however, when I see the last Pope's John Paul II's apostolic motto slogan was “Totus Tuus” for his total consecration to Mary instead of the late Pope's total consecration to Jesus, then I do not believe that Mary is not worshiped by Roman Catholics.

The late Pope's John Paul II expressed his total personal Consecration to Mary based on the spiritual approach of Saint Louis de Montfort and the Mariology in his works (Pope John Paul II's Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae)

The late Pope's cross was the Marian Cross not Jesus' Cross. You can see it on his coat of arms which he was buried with.

lifeisgood

'The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day'

The Church's bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:
All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city...(331 NA 1.)

The Catholic Church recognises in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as 'a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life'.

Catechism of the Catholic Church 841-843 (please excuse any typos, typing from phone).

So, like I said earlier, nothing wrong with it that I can see. I'm glad the Israeli and Palestinian Premiers met at the Vatican, I don't mind Muslim prayers were allowed, I don't mind at all that the parties tried to resolve their differences to stop the bloodshed.

Like I said, you need to think a little deeper about this one. Have you researched to see what Hamas said WHILE this was going on in the Vatican? You should.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
I accept what any Roman Catholic says, for that matter, I accept what every Muslim says, however, when I do the research about what was said to me, what is said does not go with the evidence.

I accept that Roman Catholics say that they do not worship Mary, for example, however, when I see the last Pope's John Paul II's apostolic motto slogan was “Totus Tuus” for his total consecration to Mary instead of the late Pope's total consecration to Jesus, then I do not believe that Mary is not worshiped by Roman Catholics.

The late Pope's John Paul II expressed his total personal Consecration to Mary based on the spiritual approach of Saint Louis de Montfort and the Mariology in his works (Pope John Paul II's Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae)

The late Pope's cross was the Marian Cross not Jesus' Cross. You can see it on his coat of arms which he was buried with.

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's nice and sunny up here, you should come out for a while.
Any other reasons why I shouldn't join the Church apart from Muslim prayers allowed at Vatican during peace talks between Jews and Muslims, and a Pope's coat of arms?

lifeisgood

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's nice and sunny up here, you should come out for a while.
Any other reasons why I shouldn't join the Church apart from Muslim prayers allowed at Vatican during peace talks between Jews and Muslims, and a Pope's coat of arms?

I have already asked you to come out of the closet and it has nothing to do with homosexuality.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned

Lifeisgood, I see you have nothing to add to the above points apart from 'Have I researched what Hamas says about it.' I am actually embarrassed for you, especially so since you raised the matter in the first place and now make yourself look totally ignorant.

lifeisgood

Lifeisgood, I see you have nothing to add to the above points apart from 'Have I researched what Hamas says about it.' I am actually embarrassed for you, especially so since you raised the matter in the first place and now make yourself look totally ignorant.

Oh, I get it. I ask you to do the research and I look 'totally ignorant'. Thank you for letting me know what your definition of 'research' is.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Lifeisgood, I'll stick with this I posted earlier in response. You're welcome.

God's Truth

The body represents the soul of the Saint in heaven. (If you had bothered to read the sources provided earlier, you wouldn't have needed to ask this question, or most others that might occur to a non-Catholic.)

Catholics believe and teach that the decayed body itself is where healing and intercession come.