ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Cruciform

You cannot hide behind the Catholic Pope anymore.
Straw Man Fallacy.

We have the Bible and can read for ourselves.
Catholics "read the Bible for themselves" every bit as much as non-Catholics (Protestants) do.

Please listen to me. We can see plainly, what God says in His written Word.

Your assumption here is directly contradicted by the 50,000+ man-made non-Catholic sects in existence to date, with more being invented every week. Thus, the Protestant phenomenon itself refutes the non-Catholic notion of the perspicuity of Scripture.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

All who do not speak according to the written word are false teachers.
Amen. Yet we must ask: "All who do not speak according to the written word" as authoritatively and bindingly interpreted by whom--- [1] Christ's one historic Church (Magisterium), or [2] you?

Note also that nothing you have said here in any way negates or disproves my statements in Post #573 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

God's Truth

Amen. Yet we must ask: "All who do not speak according to the written word" as authoritatively and bindingly interpreted by whom--- [1] Christ's one historic Church (Magisterium), or [2] you?

The Church is true worshipers who worship in spirit and in truth. That is neither you nor the Catholic church.

Note also that nothing you have said here in any way negates or disproves my statements in Post #573 above
What you say is rebuked by the Lord in His written Word.
You do not speak according to the scriptures. You go against God's Truth.

God's Truth

Straw Man Fallacy.

Catholics "read the Bible for themselves" every bit as much as non-Catholics (Protestants) do.

Your assumption here is directly contradicted by the 50,000+ man-made non-Catholic sects in existence to date, with more being invented every week. Thus, the Protestant phenomenon itself refutes the non-Catholic notion of the perspicuity of Scripture.

Call no man 'father', we are brothers.
Only one mediator between God and man, and it is not Mary.
Do not bow to the works of your hands.
Do not take the seat of most importance.
The Catholic's pope takes the seat of most importance.
Nowhere does the scriptures say to do a sign of the cross, and mix water and salt and make "holy water". Nowhere does God say to pray to anyone besides Jesus.

How many things are okay for you to do that God says not to do?

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
The Catholic denomination teaches falseness that should have never been taught, as is evidence in the unction of a dying person.

A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.
Therefore, I encourage you to research a little harder.

God's Truth

I am as it came to light during our discussion here.

Please do not start with the "I have not admitted I am male or female" or "it is no one's business". The matter is settled unless you want to finally go on record versus just adopting the "It's Pat" mien.

AMR

I have no idea what you are saying. I was just wondering who the busybody was here.
AMR has concerned himself with things that have nothing to do with God, just like his Calvinistic doctrines.

editing to add: You lie about my saying which gender I am.

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Eternal life...if he or she lives it out.
Salvation comes solely through the confession of Jesus Christ as Lord and savior.

Not only are you stupid, Trad, you lead people to hell.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Nilhilo, the Catechism has changed a lot from the time my dad was born in 1918.

God's Truth does not change.

The Catholic denomination teaches falseness that should have never been taught, as is evidence in the unction of a dying person.
You're protestant. We've seen what just five centuries of relatively unhindered, truly Christian Protestantism leads to; it leads right back to the Catholic Church (read the OP). Best case. Otherwise this headless body leads to unitarianism, and ultimately it seems to lead to a mix between universalism on one side and atheism on the other. Protestantism is a college Bible study replacing Church, writ large.

Apostolic succession has preserved in a truly amazing and remarkable way, the teachings of the original Apostles, who taught exactly what the Lord Jesus Christ, the Creator as a man, taught them & commanded them to teach.

The Apostles were the first bishops. You're not a bishop, which is an officer of the Church, mentioned by name in the New Testament. You have no teaching authority.

But this isn't demeaning but relieving, because the only way in which any bishop can teach with any authority, is to teach in perfect accordance with what the bishop of Rome teaches. And that means that there is literally only one human being at a time who is encumbered with such a great responsibility, the power to rewrite history, the charism of infallibility, the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.

And St. Peter (Peter's successor is Peter in the sense that his power of infallibility protects him as it did Peter from dogmatically pronouncing an error) has changed precisely nothing of any import since assuming this great power. Every apparent change was merely a sculptor's removal of some rock from his masterpiece, the masterpiece has always been precisely what the sculptor has always envisioned in his mind. The masterpiece looks different at different stages of being created, but it is the same masterpiece.

The sculptor of course is Jesus -- not Peter. Peter is a pawn.

That is God's truth.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Hi Traditio,
Thanks for posting. Haven't got a rosary yet, will look into it :)

If you are interested, I highly recommend reading the Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Marie de Montfort.

The devotion of reciting the rosary and contemplating its mysteries has been recommended again and again by popes (even in encyclicals), saints and doctors of the Church. Legend has it that the Blessed Mother herself gave the rosary to St. Dominic, and it is due to the intercession of Our Lady, won through praying the rosary, that the Albigensian heresy was overcome. It is also a pious belief that the victory of the battle of Lepanto was obtained by means of the Rosary.

The benefits, blessings and promises associated with it are manifold.

And the Blessed Mother herself at Fatima asked us to pray it.

For you as a convert I especially cite the first benefit of praying the rosary:

"1. It gradually gives us a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ."

And again, here is the third promise made by Our Lady for those who pray the rosary:

"3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies."

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This is a long thread so I apologize if this is covered ground but...

The more I researched the origin of the bible and the history of my faith, the more I discovered the Catholic Church.
Can you go into more detail here? What have you found in your research?

I am taking steps towards joining the Catholic Church and my question is this....'Why shouldn't I?'

I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.
I tend to think that joining or not joining should primarily hinge on the Pope and the succession of authority starting at Jesus. What do you think of Peter being the rock and the authority passing down through the ages?

God's Truth

You're protestant.
I go against Protestants. Do you know what Jesus says about a house divided against itself?
We've seen what just five centuries of relatively unhindered, truly Christian Protestantism leads to; it leads right back to the Catholic Church (read the OP). Best case. Otherwise this headless body leads to unitarianism, and ultimately it seems to lead to a mix between universalism on one side and atheism on the other. Protestantism is a college Bible study replacing Church, writ large.
God’s Truth is found by getting Jesus’ teachings and obeying them.
The Catholics do not have God’s Truth because they go against His teachings.
Apostolic succession has preserved in a truly amazing and remarkable way, the teachings of the original Apostles, who taught exactly what the Lord Jesus Christ, the Creator as a man, taught them & commanded them to teach.
There is no such thing as “Apostolic Succession”.
Catholics teach that their Popes are that of “Apostolic Succession.” Apostolic Succession is the unbroken line of succession beginning with the apostles to that of the Pope. There is no such command in the Bible as “Apostolic Succession.” There is no such command, none. That is a manufactured belief. Catholics claim Apostolic Succession from apostle Peter. However, the word of God tells us of no such thing; God’s word forbids us to have favoritism over the apostles.

1 Corinthians 1:11-12 My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 3:1Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? 4For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?

5What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

1 Corinthians 3:18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a “fool” so that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness“; 20and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.” 21So then, no more boasting about men! All things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

1 Corinthians 4:6 Now brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not take pride in one man over against another.
The Apostles were the first bishops. You're not a bishop, which is an officer of the Church, mentioned by name in the New Testament. You have no teaching authority.
You believe men who gave themselves the authority.
You cannot hide behind your denomination.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
You're protestant. We've seen what just five centuries of relatively unhindered, truly Christian Protestantism leads to; it leads right back to the Catholic Church (read the OP). Best case. Otherwise this headless body leads to unitarianism, and ultimately it seems to lead to a mix between universalism on one side and atheism on the other. Protestantism is a college Bible study replacing Church, writ large.

But this isn't demeaning but relieving, because the only way in which any bishop can teach with any authority, is to teach in perfect accordance with what the bishop of Rome teaches. And that means that there is literally only one human being at a time who is encumbered with such a great responsibility, the power to rewrite history, the charism of infallibility, the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.

And St. Peter (Peter's successor is Peter in the sense that his power of infallibility protects him as it did Peter from dogmatically pronouncing an error) has changed precisely nothing of any import since assuming this great power. Every apparent change was merely a sculptor's removal of some rock from his masterpiece, the masterpiece has always been precisely what the sculptor has always envisioned in his mind. The masterpiece looks different at different stages of being created, but it is the same masterpiece.

The sculptor of course is Jesus -- not Peter. Peter is a pawn.

That is God's truth.

I enjoyed reading that :)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
If you have Jesus, why would you pray to Mary?

When you contemplate the mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary, you contemplate both Jesus and Mary together. Each time one prays a Hail Mary, he honors Mary ("Blessed art thou among women!") and sings a song of praise to Jesus ("Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus!"). Through the Hail Mary, Mary became the mother of God. Through the Hail Mary, God became a man, was born in a manger, etc. All of the miracles of grace have been won for us through the Hail Mary.

Remember: it was the angel Gabriel who first prayed a Hail Mary, and St. Elizabeth, inspired by the Holy Ghost Himself, was the second.

I repeat my previous answer: you cannot have Jesus without Mary. If you will have Jesus, then you must have Him through Mary. And Mary, in turn, points us to Jesus. In having one, you must have both.