Why Homosexuality Must NOT Be Criminalized

glassjester

They didn't have a word for it. Note the difference.

Both heterosexual activity and homosexual activity were considered normal. There was no concept of a homosexual or heterosexual orientation. No one was thought to be capable of attraction only toward a single gender.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Wrong. Heterosexuality was the norm The Athenians viewed homosexuality as normal, natural and had no particular stigma attached to it.
Kenneth Dover. Greek Homosexuality. 1989
Bruce Thornton. Eros: The Myth of Ancient Greek Sexuality. 1997
David Halperin. One Hundred Years of Homosexuality: And Other Essays on Greek Love. 1990

Your wrong, they were BOTH the norm as already shown.

glassjester

How about you start with yourself? Are you attracted to the opposite gender, the same or both?

:think:

We're all attracted (in a nonsexual way) to both genders.
Most of these attractions guide us toward friendships.

Many, if not most, of the same factors that prompt us to pursue a mate, prompt us to pursue a friend: common interests, admiration of a particular skill, or intellect, or status. Many people even pursue friends based on looks.

Yet from this pool of people we admire, our morals, culture, and prior experiences may lead to pursuit of sexual activity as well.

A faithful husband will not pursue a sexual relationship with another woman because he believes it to be morally wrong. He will not harbor a sexual attraction for her, even if he recognizes that she is a physically attractive human being. He simply will not view her as a potential mate. He may even be disgusted at the thought of engaging in such activity.

Nor will a heterosexual man pursue a sexual relationship with another man, because of his morals, culture, or prior experiences. He will not harbor a sexual attraction for a man, even if he recognizes that he is a physically attractive human being. He simply will not view him as a potential mate. He may even be disgusted at the thought of engaging in such activity.

Arthur Brain

latest

Hefner acknowledged having bisexual liaisons in the past: "There was some bisexuality in the heterosexual, swinging part of my life," he said. But any notion that he preferred men was "projection" on the part of Leigh, who was "obsessed" with gay life, he said. (Leigh has also acknowledged having homosexual affairs during her years with Hefner; she is now married and has a child.)

Says Hefner: "I was testing the boundaries, just knocking down walls. . . . That period of sexual experimentation is long gone."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/1999-10/10/000r-101099-idx.html

Eh, if he did have these bi-sexual dalliances then they sure didn't last long and it's been women all the way since. Considering your 'argument' has been that a lack of virtue leads to homosexuality then try saying that to the guy who even by his own admission in the article says it's long gone. Yet he's still the most iconic sexual hedonist on the planet with an obvious penchant for young blonde women...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Eh, if he did have these bi-sexual dalliances then they sure didn't last long and it's been women all the way since. Considering your 'argument' has been that a lack of virtue leads to homosexuality then try saying that to the guy who even by his own admission in the article says it's long gone. Yet he's still the most iconic sexual hedonist on the planet with an obvious penchant for young blonde women...

In other words open to all, but prefers certain things. What he chooses for himself, right?

Arthur Brain

We're all attracted (in a nonsexual way) to both genders.
Most of these attractions guide us toward friendships.

Many, if not most, of the same factors that prompt us to pursue a mate, prompt us to pursue a friend: common interests, admiration of a particular skill, or intellect, or status. Many people even pursue friends based on looks.

Yet from this pool of people we admire, our morals, culture, and prior experiences may lead to pursuit of sexual activity as well.

A faithful husband will not pursue a sexual relationship with another woman because he believes it to be morally wrong. He will not harbor a sexual attraction for her, even if he recognizes that she is a physically attractive human being. He simply will not view her as a potential mate. He may even be disgusted at the thought of engaging in such activity.

Nor will a heterosexual man pursue a sexual relationship with another man, because of his morals, culture, or prior experiences. He will not harbor a sexual attraction for a man, even if he recognizes that he is a physically attractive human being. He simply will not view him as a potential mate. He may even be disgusted at the thought of engaging in such activity.

I knew I saw girls differently to boys when I was a kid. Obviously there was nothing sexual about that but the attraction was there. A heterosexual man isn't going to pursue a relationship with a man because he's not going to be attracted to a bloke as he is a woman, it's not about 'morals'. There wasn't anything particularly moral about buying 'Playboy' & the like in my youth but I knew it was only the opposite sex that did anything for me.

Arthur Brain

In other words open to all, but prefers certain things. What he chooses for himself, right?

Seems pretty obvious that if he was open to all then he isn't now and hasn't been for over fifty years. Preference is hardly a choice either. If you prefer chocolate to vanilla ice cream then you're not deciding that by way of.

Arthur Brain

Then you are really an adulterer(sinner) that chooses not to act on that sin. Got it.

Well, no you haven't. If I see a beautiful woman walking down the street then simply finding her beautiful and attractive isn't a 'sin'. If I started lusting after her then you might have a point except I didn't say any such thing.

glassjester

I knew I saw girls differently to boys when I was a kid. Obviously there was nothing sexual about that but the attraction was there.

Did you not have a "girls are gross" phase?

Young children tend to be averse to opposite sex friendships, and are more attracted (again, nonsexually) to their own gender. This probably arises from social factors and upbringing (parents, siblings, and peers encouraging certain friendships, discouraging others). Those who end up adopting a homosexual lifestyle tend to have had the opposite experience - they mostly sought friendships with the opposite sex.

A heterosexual man isn't going to pursue a relationship with a man because he's not going to be attracted to a bloke as he is a woman, it's not about 'morals'. There wasn't anything particularly moral about buying 'Playboy' & the like in my youth but I knew it was only the opposite sex that did anything for me.

Right, it's not only moral. It's cultural and social, too.

If you were raised by wolves you probably wouldn't have bought Playboy.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Preference is hardly a choice either.

pref·er·ence
ˈpref(ə)rəns/
noun
noun: preference; plural noun: preferences

a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

choice

CHois/
noun
noun: choice; plural noun: choices

an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities.

:think: