Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

Danoh

What a bizarre and silly thing to say. This thread isn't about curtailing liberty, it's about why quackery should be (and thankfully is being) stopped.

:AMR:

Would you consider it "abnormal" of a person of a same-sex attraction who expressed not wanting to have that attraction for no other reason than their simply not wanting to have that attraction?

I mean, what's good for the goose, is also good for the gander, is it not?

For if it is okay in your book for someone of a same-sex attraction to have the right to live said attraction out, it should also be okay in your book for those who do not want to have that same attraction to seek help out of said attraction - and by your same measure for those who are fine with their same sex attraction - your obvious measure - "be what ever sex attraction you desire being - no questions asked."

Arthur Brain

Would you consider it "abnormal" of a person of a same-sex attraction who expressed not wanting to have that attraction for no other reason than their simply not wanting to have that attraction?

For if it is okay in your book for someone of a same-sex attraction to have the right to live said attraction out, it should also be okay in your book for those who do not want to have that same attraction to seek help out of said attraction - and by your same measure for those who are fine with their same sex attraction - your obvious measure - "be what ever sex attraction you desire being - no questions asked."

"Conversion therapy" doesn't help anyone Danoh, that's the point. Just look at at "lovemeorhateme"'s post from a couple of pages ago. It caused only harm and there's no accredited evidence for any of it having worked for anybody. It's not based in anything resembling credible science, is discredited by professional, medical and psychological bodies across the board because of it and in worst cases has been proven to cause considerable harm to those subjected to it.

You think it's kinder to give someone a false hope than to accept reality and try to deal with that instead of pursuing quackery for something where there's no cure? There's good reasons why these quack centres are being shut down Danoh, they don't work and cause harm.

Danoh

"Conversion therapy" doesn't help anyone Danoh, that's the point. Just look at at "lovemeorhateme"'s post from a couple of pages ago. It caused only harm and there's no accredited evidence for any of it having worked for anybody. It's not based in anything resembling credible science, is discredited by professional, medical and psychological bodies across the board because of it and in worst cases has been proven to cause considerable harm to those subjected to it.

You think it's kinder to give someone a false hope than to accept reality and try to deal with that instead of pursuing quackery for something where there's no cure? There's good reasons why these quack centres are being shut down Danoh, they don't work and cause harm.

That was not my question.

Kit the Coyote

don't all churches believe themselves to be the best representatives of Christ's flock?

Yes, but the purpose was to find churches that could claim to be directly linked to Christ himself and the church following that he left behind. There was likely quite a few before the Catholic church suppressed all the others early in its history. Now only they remain except the Mormons who base a claim based on Christ appearing in North America. The rest are largely branches off of the Catholic Church.

That about all I know about it though like I say some of the older Eastern Orthodox churches would dispute the claim. Not that it matters much to me, I was brought up in fundamentalist traditions including educations on the Catholic church traditions and structure was influenced by the Roman Empire. And we all know the problems with the Mormon claims. So to me, there is no church with a valid claim to be descended from the first church.

Kit the Coyote

They should seek out medically sound treatments to help them with that.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The rest are largely branches off of the Catholic Church.

the protestant faiths are branches off the main catholic trunk as it existed in its corrupted form in 1517

the catholic church as it exists today is a branch off that trunk, same as the protestant faiths - to view it as a continuation of the main trunk that dates back to Peter ignores the fact that the main trunk has discontinuities in its form and integrity, many pre-dating Luther.

I see no reason to view Luther's split as a minor branch off a main trunk, rather as a corruptible branch off a corrupted trunk

that's my opinion and not meant to bash yours :)

MrDante

And adults can if they really want to. however we are speaking specifically of conversion therapy, something that is not just ineffective and unsound but actually harms people. Worse such therapy is largely targeted at children who don't have a choice about participation in conversion therapy