White Privilege

ClimateSanity

(People who can be identified as black from their resumes are shown get about 1/3 less interviews than identical resumes with "white sounding" names)

Giving whites a significant advantage in hiring is exactly white privilege.

It is. There are different sorts of cultural bias. If it is for religion, it's "religious discrimination." If it's for race, it's called "racism."
Black sounding names reflect a culture, not a race. Lashandra and keshawn and Tyrell reflect a culture. Blacks who do not have names like that are treated the same as whites. When employers come across more people with those names who do not reflect that culture, the bias in hiring will stop.

Arthur Brain

cnylHFfVMoHtDLS-128x128-noPad.jpg

You were more convincing where it came to falling in love with wallpaper...

:freak:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Black sounding names reflect a culture, not a race.

B.S. My youngest son has a friend named Jamal, who is a conservative middle class naval officer, Annopolis graduate. They played soccer together as kids. Their parents lived in a middle-class suburb and did pretty much what everyone else did.

But his resume would get the same treatment. All that matters is that his name identifies him as black.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Black sounding names reflect a culture, not a race. Lashandra and keshawn and Tyrell reflect a culture. Blacks who do not have names like that are treated the same as whites. When employers come across more people with those names who do not reflect that culture, the bias in hiring will stop.
People should just learn to love black culture then. I have, I love black people. There's no downside to hiring black people. Your customers will appreciate dealing with a well mannered black person, your boss, and your boss's boss will appreciate the diverse hire, plus you'll have an employee who is a member of black culture, which you've learned to appreciate and love yourself. It's all gain, no pain.

ClimateSanity

People should just learn to love black culture then. I have, I love black people. There's no downside to hiring black people. Your customers will appreciate dealing with a well mannered black person, your boss, and your boss's boss will appreciate the diverse hire, plus you'll have an employee who is a member of black culture, which you've learned to appreciate and love yourself. It's all gain, no pain.
Then we are talking about two different cultures. The ones who make bad employees usually have the names listed.

ClimateSanity

B.S. My youngest son has a friend named Jamal, who is a conservative middle class naval officer, Annopolis graduate. They played soccer together as kids. Their parents lived in a middle-class suburb and did pretty much what everyone else did.

But his resume would get the same treatment. All that matters is that his name identifies him as black.
That's an anecdote. Take all the people with names like that and you will see what im talking about.

The Berean

If whites have privilege other skin colors do not have simply because of skin color, then it should be obvious that the people with white skin are superior to people with other skin color because of that.
The ancestors of the people with so-called "white privilege" would have had to be superior in order to bless their descendants with that "privilege".

The logic is "A" (white privilege) therefore "B" (white superiority), "A" (white privilege) equals "B" (white superiority), and "B" (white superiority) therefore "A" (white privilege).
If you don't accept that logic, then find a way to prove that there is "white privilege" without "white superiority".

Assertion A does NOT lead to conclusion B. I can draw you a Venn diagram if you wish. You need to show what this supposed superiority is. You need to be specific. I suppose they were superior in violence, mass murder, and genocide.

genuineoriginal

Assertion A does NOT lead to conclusion B. I can draw you a Venn diagram if you wish. You need to show what this supposed superiority is. You need to be specific. I suppose they were superior in violence, mass murder, and genocide.
"White privilege" is deliberately vague so it can be anything that the speaker wants it to be.
"White superiority" is more specific than "white privilege", so there is no need to make it any more specific.

Your Venn diagram will be a single circle because "A" (white privilege) equals "B" (white superiority)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
It appears that go's white guilt has him deeply into denial.

"Eliminating resumes with names that sound black, isn't racism." Who would have expected anyone so deep in denial as to make a statement like that?

I never said that.

You said it was "cultural." The KKK calls it "heritage." I liked the old racists better. At least they were honest about it.

genuineoriginal

Barbarian observes:
It appears that go's white guilt has him deeply into denial.

"Eliminating resumes with names that sound black, isn't racism." Who would have expected anyone so deep in denial as to make a statement like that?

You said it was "cultural." The KKK calls it "heritage." I liked the old racists better. At least they were honest about it.

Here are my exact words:
That is not an example of white privilege.
That is an example of cultural bias, not racial bias.

The study you are using is making a claim that the name sounds "black".
Black is not a sound, it is a color.

The names "Jamal" and "Lakisha" sound like they come from a culture of uneducated people and it is the bias against the lack of education that is causing the resumes to be rejected.
That has nothing to do with skin color.
The same bias would have resulted in names like Gator" and "Maizie" (redneck: i.e. uneducated white culture) getting less responses than names like "Greg" and "Emily".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here are my exact words:

Black is not a sound, it is a color.

The names "Jamal" and "Lakisha" sound like they come from a culture of uneducated people and it is the bias against the lack of education that is causing the resumes to be rejected.
That has nothing to do with skin color.
The same bias would have resulted in names like Gator" and "Maizie" (redneck: i.e. uneducated white culture) getting less responses than names like "Greg" and "Emily".
You might be on to something.
Perhaps subconsciously, some names emit a sense of stability (no surprises) over others.
I might even venture to say that even if the ethnicity were on the application, a business might be more likely to choose a black named Sam over a white named Moonbeam.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Here are my exact words:

And any normal American would be able to identify such names.

The names "Jamal" and "Lakisha" sound like they come from a culture of uneducated people

Say, like scientist and mathematician Jamal Hammoud, an expert in data packaging, or Jamal Islam, a former researcher at Cal Tech. You've sort of exposed yourself, here, g.o.

and it is the bias against the lack of education that is causing the resumes to be rejected.

No. The resumes were identical. So it was merely the name of the person. It had everything to do with skin color, not education.

That being said, if I was black, knowing that racism continues to be a significant problem in America, I'd name my kids Keith or Susan.

ClimateSanity

plus you'll have an employee who is a member of black culture, which you've learned to appreciate and love yourself.

I have no one in my friends who is a member of the " black" culture. My wife is African...the black skinned kind. She is not and never will be part of this " black" culture you reference. Africans and American blacks who walk around with a grievance mentality are fundamentally different.

My two African kids will never be a part of this " black " culture you feel is so redeeming. It's a culture of violence and sex and grievance and racism. It will never improve as long as people like you make excuses for it. My kids will stay seperate from that culture no matter what names get thrown at them. They will value education and women and personal responsibility. They will not blame any other group or race for any shortcoming they may develop.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have no one in my friends who is a member of the " black" culture. My wife is African...the black skinned kind. She is not and never will be part of this " black" culture you reference. Africans and American blacks who walk around with a grievance mentality are fundamentally different.

My two African kids will never be a part of this " black " culture you feel is so redeeming. It's a culture of violence and sex and grievance and racism. It will never improve as long as people like you make excuses for it. My kids will stay seperate from that culture no matter what names get thrown at them. They will value education and women and personal responsibility. They will not blame any other group or race for any shortcoming they may develop.
Is this a quote from somebody?