Whiny Atheists

WizardofOz

No prob, happy to be of service.

That story works for a few different things. You see a whiny atheist, I see a kid getting death threats.

Yeah. Not to downplay the threats but they read like a bunch of immature kids on a twitter / Facebook feed. The story is the case and the ruling. Kids say stupid things everyday. You think it's news because she's an atheist receiving threats. Meh.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Yeah. Not to downplay the threats but they read like a bunch of immature kids on a twitter / Facebook feed. The story is the case and the ruling. Kids say stupid things everyday. You think it's news because she's an atheist receiving threats. Meh.

I was trying to make a point. :noid:

Though I have to agree, typical immature internet death threats. I get them all the time. It feels weird when I go a day without getting threatened.

WizardofOz

I was trying to make a point. :noid:

Though I have to agree, typical immature internet death threats. I get them all the time. It feels weird when I go a day without getting threatened.

I was going to respond with "I'll kill you" but if the humor intended wasn't conveyed properly it might come across mean-spirited. :D

quip

BANNED
Banned
Atheist whines about a banner on display in Cranston High School West's auditorium titled "School Prayer" and addressing "Our Heavenly Father"​

I don't understand...why is it whining when atheists complain over a public religious display but not when Christians do the same...such as signs/ads exclaiming "Happy Holidays"?

bybee

I don't understand...why is it whining when atheists complain over a public religious display but not when Christians do the same...such as signs/ads exclaiming "Happy Holidays"?

Perhaps we could simply ignore that which is of no interest to us?

WizardofOz

I don't understand...why is it whining when atheists complain over a public religious display

"Whine" is a synonym of "complain" so you've answered your own question there ;)

but not when Christians do the same...such as signs/ads exclaiming "Happy Holidays"?

Who said it wasn't? However, if you have looked over the content of this thread, and as I explained to fool, most of the info I am presenting involves whiny legal action.

If you find examples of Christians whining and/or suing, feel free to....start a thread on the topic ;)

quip

BANNED
Banned
"Whine" is a synonym of "complain" so you've answered your own question there ;)

No its not. To whine is to complain; I can complain without whining though. Whining's a form of complaining.

Who said it wasn't? However, if you have looked over the content of this thread, and as I explained to fool, most of the info I am presenting involves whiny legal action.

Ok, as long as you concede that any complaining over public religious displays as being whining ....whines both ways. Only one problem......

If you find examples of Christians whining and/or suing, feel free to....start a thread on the topic ;)

....this includes this thread and your subsequent posts.

WizardofOz

"Whine" is a synonym of "complain"
No its not.

Yes it is.

To whine is to complain; I can complain without whining though. Whining's a form of complaining.

Right. That's what I just said, "whine" is a synonym of "complain".

Google....

com·plain
kəmˈplān/
verb
verb: complain; 3rd person present: complains; past tense: complained; past participle: complained; gerund or present participle: complaining

1.express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.
"local authorities complained that they lacked sufficient resources"
synonyms: protest, grumble, whine, bleat, carp, cavil, grouse, make a fuss; More

Ok, as long as you concede that any complaining over public religious displays as being whining ....whines both ways. Only one problem......

Read the thread. This was covered by fool

alwight

Atheist whines about a banner on display in Cranston High School West's auditorium titled "School Prayer" and addressing "Our Heavenly Father"​

Attorneys for Jessica Ahlquist, 16, argued that a banner on display in Cranston High School West's auditorium titled "School Prayer" and addressing "Our Heavenly Father" is a violation of the Constitution and the Supreme Court's 1962 decision banning state-mandated prayer in school.

Lawyers for the school district argued that the banner had hung in the school since the 1960s and was more secular than sacred.

U.S. District Judge Ronald Lagueux disagreed and ruled that the banner should be removed immediately.

source

banner1.png

The horror :eek:

The Class of 1963 at Cranston High School West unveiled a new mural Saturday to replace the one that was taken down last year after a federal judge ruled that it was unconstitutional.

story
Here in the UK we have no actual segregation of state and church and state schools can be openly faith specific or none at all. Nobody imo would dream of complaining (whining?) if say a Catholic faith school put up banners extolling their beliefs for their kids to see, it would be expected.
If parents want their kids to be presented with such religiosity then that's their choice, or indeed not to be.
If a school is supposed to be secular then a judge really has no option imo than to uphold any such objection as a no-brainer. Sooner or later surely someone will object(whine?) about any displayed sectarian messages or mottos.
I don't know if American public/state funded schools are allowed to be openly sectarian/denominational or not, perhaps it might help if they were? :idunno:

Btw confusingly "public schools" in the UK are where wealthy people send their kids, anything but "public" imo.

Yet we in the UK are a less religious society than the US, openly atheistic people often do get elected and hold public office. No one needs to pretend to be religious if they're not and no one will worry if denominational schools put up religious messages, while equally no one would expect such things in secular schools.
Perhaps it's simply the American system that encourages "whining" if that's what it is, not any specific "whineese"? :think:

Btw I went to Christian faith schools and I turned out alwight. :D

bybee

No its not. To whine is to complain; I can complain without whining though. Whining's a form of complaining.

Now you are being specious! It doesn't suit you.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Yes it is.

Right. That's what I just said, "whine" is a synonym of "complain".

Google....

com·plain
kəmˈplān/
verb
verb: complain; 3rd person present: complains; past tense: complained; past participle: complained; gerund or present participle: complaining

1.express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.
"local authorities complained that they lacked sufficient resources"
synonyms: protest, grumble, whine , bleat,carp, cavil, grouse, make a fuss; More

No, not in every case. Thus, I didn't "answer my own question there. ;) " ;)

Read the thread. This was covered by fool

I'll take on faith that fool subjected his namesake upon you.

Just question your own motives for using "whine" instead of "complain".....then get back with me regarding this synonym assertion. :rolleyes:

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
I don't care about some of this stuff, a lot of it shouldn't happen such as "in God we trust" but it's not worth the money to change it.

What I would oppose fervently would be any attempt to spend government money on such a thing.

Unless it's immoral and causing harm, get over it. Really if you're for "freedom of religion" then you should be for the freedom to put down other religious symbols wherever there's already one.

Now tell me what would happen if someone put down an Islamic symbol at the 9/11 memorial?