What is the Gospel?

God's Truth

Grace is:

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Paul is speaking of the ceremonial works people used to have to do just to go to the temple where His Spirit was.

Paul was not saying grace is no more obedience!

God's Truth

Is, as in presently, yes, but there are MANY gospels in the Bible. Don't be ignorant.

It has ALWAYS ONLY BEEN ONE WAY, and that ONE WAY is believe and obey God!

From the time of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah, Abraham, and even all of us now...it is about believing and obeying God.

Jesus taught us what he wants us to do, and he taught it when he walked this earth. Then the Apostles were sent with the same message.

john w

Hall of Fame
You don't act like this:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

You act more like this:

19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

A stunner, so much so, that all of TOL, is just mesmerized.

Sit-we've seen these whiffs before-you are starting to bore us.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The gospel is not about Jesus dying for our sins or about a divine vending machine we use to get what we want (such as, for example, getting into heaven).

The word gospel means "Good News" and that's what it is and has always been:

The Good News of Jesus Christ. And Jesus taught the Kingdom of God in parables (and also taught in short, pithy aphorisms). His life among humans gave us a vision of God that was rooted in Jewish faith, but went far, far beyond those concepts in a new and novel way.

Barring the discovery of another ancient text or codex, that's all it is and all it has ever been. It's there in the Bible, in black and white.

Anyway, that's my "cherry-pick."

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The gospel is not about Jesus dying for our sins or about a divine vending machine we use to get what we want (such as, for example, getting into heaven).

The Good News of Jesus Christ. And Jesus taught the Kingdom of God in parables (and also taught in short, pithy aphorisms). His life among humans gave us a vision of God that was rooted in Jewish faith, but went far, far beyond those concepts in a new and novel way.

Barring the discovery of another ancient text or codex, that's all it is and all it has ever been. It's there in the Bible, in black and white.

What? Try to make sense?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
What? Try to make sense?
You are saying my post does not make sense to you. If you could ask me specific questions then we can certainly go over them together.

My communication style is not always the best and I look forward to others' comments to set me straight.

turbosixx

A stunner, so much so, that all of TOL, is just mesmerized.

Sit-we've seen these whiffs before-you are starting to bore us.

I’m honestly trying to understand what you proclaim to be truth, but your inability to defend your position and subsequent personal attacks show that you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

I’m sorry I bore you, but you amaze and sadden me. The way you treat other souls on here who are professing what they understand to be truth, just as you are, is unlike any Christian I have ever seen, ever. You’re in a class all by yourself.

john w

Hall of Fame
I’m honestly trying to understand what you proclaim to be truth, but your inability to defend your position and subsequent personal attacks show that you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

I already answered that-slower-find out what the term "gospel," means. You don't know. My evidence? Your "posts."

And don't confuse your lack of reading comprehension skills, that even a 6 year old can "get," with any alleged failure on my part to "defend" my position.

Can you dig it?

"'personal attacks?"

Stock cliche, when your getting bloodied. Would you prefer "impersonal?" Yes, I "attack" those who lie, and deceive, and engage in sophistry, such as you do. Accept it. It's biblical, and you can do NADA about it.

I’m sorry I bore you, but you amaze and sadden me.

You bore most of TOL. And don't be sad for me, sport-I am an heir of God, quite "rich."

And thanks-I am quite amazing-one of my many super powers.

The way you treat other souls on here who are professing what they understand to be truth, just as you are, is unlike any Christian I have ever seen, ever. You’re in a class all by yourself.

Snooze.

You, to Paul, right after Galatians 1 KJV: Stop personally attacking, Paul!!! You are unlike any Christian I know, Paul!!! Stop it!!!!

Let me get my hankerchief out. Move on. We've seen your act before. You've added nothing to me, or to any other member of the boc.

turbosixx

Is, as in presently, yes, but there are MANY gospels in the Bible. Don't be ignorant.

I've been thinking on this more than one gospel for a while and I'm still trying to understand it. I was thinking about this verse that says the gospel was to the Jews first. Do you see this as more than one gospel? If not, when do you see it presented to the Jews first and by whom?

Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I've been thinking on this more than one gospel for a while and I'm still trying to understand it. I was thinking about this verse that says the gospel was to the Jews first. Do you see this as more than one gospel? If not, when do you see it presented to the Jews first and by whom?

Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
The way I interpret it, Jesus' message was to the House of Israel. He didn't think much of Gentiles and referred to them as "dogs" and made fun of their worship style. The irony is that Christianity is now full of Gentiles who worship Jesus as God, the sin of idolatry.

The outreach to "the nations" was Paul's idea and the gospel writers made sure folks besides the Jews were told the Good News. Besides, the conflict between the Jewish followers of Jesus and those Jews that did not was resulting in Jesus's followers getting kicked out of the synagogues.

genuineoriginal

The way I interpret it, Jesus' message was to the House of Israel. He didn't think much of Gentiles and referred to them as "dogs" and made fun of their worship style.
Jesus began His ministry during the final seven years of the prophecy of seventy sevens (Daniel 9:24-27). The Jews had only a few years left of the prophecy to fully repent in order for Jesus to bring in the kingdom of God during their generation. If the Jews did not repent, the time of the Gentiles would begin at the end of the seventy sevens.
The outreach to "the nations" was Paul's idea and the gospel writers made sure folks besides the Jews were told the Good News.
If you read the book of Acts, you should find that the outreach to the Gentiles was not Paul's idea.

Acts 9:15
15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:​

PureX

The way I interpret it, Jesus' message was to the House of Israel. He didn't think much of Gentiles and referred to them as "dogs" and made fun of their worship style. The irony is that Christianity is now full of Gentiles who worship Jesus as God, the sin of idolatry.
Which would lead one to conclude that Jesus was not omniscient, and did not see into the future. And thus, was perhaps not fully cognizant of the impact on mankind of his own spiritual revelation. I think he understood that his concept of God transcended the religions of his time, but I don't think he understood just how radically it would do so. He still saw himself as a Jew, preaching to other Jews, not realizing the full extent of how radical and transcendent his message really was.

And the same is true for a great many Christians, today, who still think they are Jews, but yet are not Jews. And have not been able to fully comprehend the magnitude of the revelation they purport to believe in, but instead, have buried themselves in a hodgepodge of semi-Jewish religiosity.

Last edited:

God's Truth

The gospel is about Jesus dying for us. That is how we are washed and reconciled to God. We are washed clean and reconciled to God by Jesus putting the Spirit of God in our hearts, and seating us with him in heaven.

God's Truth

You are saying my post does not make sense to you. If you could ask me specific questions then we can certainly go over them together.

My communication style is not always the best and I look forward to others' comments to set me straight.

Please do not go by GM. Surely you can see that you should not go by what he says.

God's Truth

I’m sorry I bore you, but you amaze and sadden me. The way you treat other souls on here who are professing what they understand to be truth, just as you are, is unlike any Christian I have ever seen, ever. You’re in a class all by yourself.

He is not unlike the spirit of those of the Catholic inquisitions, or John Calvin when he ruled a city, or even the Muslims who attack those who do not agree with them.