ECT What is Predestination?

beloved57

There are no verses which speak of anyone being predestined to salvation.

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Ro.8:29).​

This is speaking of believers being conformed to the image of the Lord Jesus and that will happen when the Lord descends from heaven and the saved will put on bodies just like his glorious body:

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body" (Phil.3:20-21).​

Both Ephesians 1:5 and 1:11 are speaking about the same exact thing.

Rom 8:29 proves you wrong, one is forekown of God before they believe!

StanJ

God foreknows everything, so that is a rather inane view of predestination. Rom 8:28-30 (NIV) shows God ONLY predestines those He FOREKNOWS will choose His son as their savior. That predestining has to do with becoming Christ like. Read your Bible.

Jerry Shugart

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Ro.8:28-29).​

The key to the teaching of this passage depends on an understanding of the meaning of the Greek word translated "for" found at the beginning of verse twenty-nine. The word is a conjuction which ties the two verses together, and the word means "the reason why anything is said to be or be done...because...it is added to a speaker's words to show what ground he gives for his opinion" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

At Romans 8:29 Paul tells us why he says that "all things work together for good" for the saved, those he describes as the called:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Ro.8:28-29).​

The reason why "all things work together for good" in regard to the saved is because the saved are predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son.

When the word "foreknown" is used it is referring to "the called" and that is in regard to those who are already saved.

Last edited:

beloved57

The key to the teaching of this passage depends on an understanding of the meaning of the Greek word translated "for" found at the beginning of verse twenty-nine. The word is a conjuction which ties the two verses together, and the word means "the reason why anything is said to be or be done...because...it is added to a speaker's words to show what ground he gives for his opinion" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

At Romans 8:29 Paul tells us why he says that "all things work together for good" for the saved, those he describes as the called:

The reason why "all things work together for good" in regard to the saved is because the saved are predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son.

When the word "foreknown" is used it is referring to "the called" and that is in regard to those who are already saved.
Being predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ entails Salvation!

j4jesus09

I'm interested in how people define predestination. What does it imply? Do you see scripture as saying the individual is predestined in any way

Scriptures like this need to be directly addressed :

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Romans 8:29-30

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Ephesians 1:4-6

That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Ephesians 1:10-11

And if God is simply looking down the corridors of time and seeing what we would do and then predestining us to be in Christ, how is that Him doing the predestining? How is it not rather Him simply categorizing? And if our choices are utterly free (i.e. we are just as able at any given time to choose any one choice over any other choice) then how can God work all things according to His own will? In other words, when my autonomy runs into God's Sovereignty, who prevails?

In addition, it seems to me there is a bit of a conundrum when it comes to the traditional free will position and the eternal destiny of young children or those under the "age of accountability". If God "knows" (by seeing the future of a child before it is even born) that that child is going to not choose Him, but takes the child in infancy - is He bound to save that child? You may object that the child has not done wrong or right, but this is the same God that loved Jacob and hated Esau before the children were even born and before they did wrong or right. If all God is judging is actions, how can He justly judge someone with a murderous heart who never actually murders? How can He call those who did many good works in His name "workers of iniquity" if the works (themselves) were actually good? Casting out devils is certainly a good work...
The point there is not to say whether infants do or do not go to heaven but rather to show that the typical attempt to reconcile free will and predestination by having God simply foresee (which, I note, is not as strong as Him "foreknowing") the life of someone He created causes some problems that I can't get past.

Note that I don't know where I stand on the issue. I don't think it is a fatalism vs. free will issue. I know it is complicated, but the ways many people try to accommodate libertarian free will seem to raise problems. I believe part of the reason that God allows things to work out as they do (often messy and with no redemption) is to bring condemnation where it is needed (something only He has the capacity to know) and to shut every mouth before God. When we, for example, think we can be good in our own strength - without dependence on God - God may allow us the time to prove ourselves. And if we ever do, then the necessity of Christ is tainted. We must come to the understanding that we cannot do good. But God permits this rebellion for a season in order that "every mouth may be stopped" before Him. No one will have an excuse. And what God restrains...prevents...keeps from happening...will have been restrained because it would not be to the praise of His glorious grace.

And we only see on a very small scale - our own experience. God is looking at all this in the light of eternity. So those things that He allows to persist for generations and those people He allows to be lost - these things seem incongruous with a loving God from our puny vantage point - but there is a much larger perspective that is needed to realize that the whole motivation of God is not to serve "me" but to bring all things into subjection to "Him". Israel being in Egypt for 400+ years may have seemed cruel and unmerciful (how many generations of Israelites would have lived and died knowing nothing but slavery and bondage), but God's plan transcends the individual at any given moment.

So I'm not coming down on one side or the other of the debate - but the more I look into it, the more it seems as though the standard (libertarian) free will position has real problems.

So how do you see predestination as revealed in scripture?

Enjoyed your thoughts and your reasoning with the scriptures is very valid. I could bring some scriptures to the table but you probably are familiar with them based off of your thread. If a person reads the entire bible with prayer you can't help but see that God somehow ended up running the entire show to the very detail!! God includes man, but we are so wonderfully designed who knows how we truly operate in His Supreme WILL. Our mind thinks, feels, and is influenced by so much! You brought up enough scripture with the just the Jacob and Esau issue. Also, in Romans it actually deals with this very issue and even discusses Pharaoh's hardening by the hand of God too! God knows the wonderul ending to His plan. That is why God can save some by grace now and some later. Harden some now soften some later. It's all in His purpose. He does so many different things. Who can know the mind of God?

Jerry Shugart

It is those God foreknew,they were foreknew before they were called and became believers Rom 8:29-30 !

I already explained this to you but evidently you cannot understand it:

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

If a person reads the entire bible with prayer you can't help but see that God somehow ended up running the entire show to the very detail!!

Then explain this verse where people acted contrary to the Lord's will:

" O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Mt.23:37).​

Dialogos

No, it is those who are already saved who are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ.
The problem with this particular approach to Romans 8:28-30 is that it can’t maintain the integrity of the order that Paul described the process of salvation.
Paul says that those that God foreknew He predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, and those He predestined He called, and the ones He called He justified, and the ones He justified He glorified.
Your version has to rip calling out of order or redefine the notion of calling altogether. Because God’s call to salvation come after predestination and before justification in Paul’s order while your order must put calling before predestination and after justification.

God foreknows everything, so that is a rather inane view of predestination. Rom 8:28-30 (NIV) shows God ONLY predestines those He FOREKNOWS will choose His son as their savior. That predestining has to do with becoming Christ like. Read your Bible.

StanJ, you have to import the notion of God choosing those who will choose His Son into that passage.
If you look at the lexical meaning of προγινοσκω you can see that it can mean both know beforehand and choose beforehand. The former makes the passage rather meaningless because both Calvinists and Arminians affirm that God knows everyone beforehand. And so if you want to use that definition then you most follow the logic all the way through the passage. God knows everyone, predestined everyone, called everyone, justified everyone and glorified everyone. Seen this way and you have universalism.

Of course, this verse presents a larger problem for the Open Theists who don’t believe that God foreknew anyone really.

However, it makes a great deal of sense (without having to add qualifications that the text doesn’t add) to acknowledge that Paul is using προγινοσκω in the sense of choosing beforehand.
Those God chose beforehand, those He predestined, and then He called them. Once calling them, He then justified them, etc…

j4jesus09

Then explain this verse where people acted contrary to the Lord's will:

" O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Mt.23:37).​

Shows God's patience with man in our stubbornness!

Jerry Shugart

The problem with this particular approach to Romans 8:28-30 is that it can’t maintain the integrity of the order that Paul described the process of salvation.

of course you did not even attempt to answer what I said here. if I am in error about what I said about thesetwo verses then tell me exactly what I said is wrong:

Paul says that those that God foreknew He predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, and those He predestined He called, and the ones He called He justified, and the ones He justified He glorified.

it is the ones who are already believers who are predestinated to be confirmed to the image of the Son and that will be fulfilled when the saints are caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air and put on glorious bodies like His.

And those who are thus predestinated are called. And those he called he justified and them he also glorified:

"Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified" (Ro.8:30).​

There is absolutely nothing which I wrote that is contradicted by what this verse says.

Jerry Shugart

Shows God's patience with man in our stubbornness!

That does not explain the fact that those people acted counter to the Lord's will:

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Mt.23:37).​