Well, it's about time!

glorydaz

No one is buying the excuses. Even many evangelicals are breaking with Trump over this, and his party is starting to distance themselves from him.

Franklin Graham Blasts Trump’s Immigrant Family Separations At Border
“It’s disgraceful, and it’s terrible to see families ripped apart and I don’t support that one bit,” the evangelist said.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/franklin-graham-blasts-trump-border_us_5b223db7e4b09d7a3d7a7c16

This is a fine example of fake news. Let's use partial quotes and pretend they tell the whole story. There is not the least bit of "breaking with Trump" or "distancing themselves from him" in Graham's quote.

“I blame politicians for the last 20, 30 years that have allowed this to escalate to the point where it is today,” Graham added. “We are a country of a laws, laws need to be obeyed, no question about that, but the situation we have today as a result of our lawmakers in Washington over generations ignoring this.”

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Graham attempted to soften his criticism by blaming all politicians for the problem. Yet he's described what Trump has done as "disgraceful" and "terrible."

Remember, this is a man who defended Trump's sexual behavior with Stormy Daniels as irrelevant:

"This happened 11, 12, 13, 14 years ago," he said. "And so, I think there is a big difference and not that we give anybody a pass, but we have to look at the timeline and that was before he was in office."

Graham's argument was that Trump became a "changed man" after he was elected president, God having chose him to lead.

He's not the only former Trump supporter to object:

As evangelical leaders representing tens of thousands of local churches, campus
communities, and ministries we are concerned that the new “zero tolerance”
policy at the U.S.-Mexico border, recently announced by Attorney General
Sessions and being implemented by the Department of Justice and the
Department of Homeland Security, has had the effect of separating vulnerable
children from their parents. As head of the Executive Branch of the federal
government, we are writing to ask you to resolve this situationof families being
separated that you have rightly described as “horrible.”

As evangelical Christians guided by the Bible, one of our core convictions is that
God has established the family as the fundamental building block of society. The
state should separate families only in the rarest of instances. While illegal entry to
the United States can be a misdemeanor criminal violation, past administrations
have exercised discretion in determining when to charge individuals with this
offense, taking into account the well being of children who may also be involved.
A “zero tolerance” policy removes that discretion—with the effect of removing
even small children from their parents. The traumatic effects of this separation
on these young children, which could be devastating and long-lasting, are of
utmost concern.

U.S. law currently allows individuals with a credible fear of persecution to request
asylum whether the individual enters with a valid visa, requests asylum at a port
of entry, or is apprehended seekingto enter without a visa. Not every individual
arriving will merit asylum protection, but we would ask that families be kept
together while ensuring each individual asylum seeker is afforded due process
according to our laws.

We are also concerned that there are fewer legal possibilities for those with a
well-founded fear of persecution to be considered for refugee status without
needing to make it to the U.S. border. The U.S. Refugee Resettlement Program
has allowed many fleeing persecution in Central America and elsewhere to
register as refugees abroad and be thoroughly vetted before coming lawfully to
the U.S. However, with significantly fewer refugees being admitted in recent
years, there are fewer options for those fleeing persecution. Those facing
legitimate threats to their lives often feel they have no choice but to leave their
countries and seek asylum elsewhere.

We respectfully ask you to work with Attorney General Sessions and Secretary
Nielsen to reverse this “zero tolerance” policy and instead urge law enforcement
entities to exercise discretion to protect the unity of families.

Council for Christian Colleges
and Universities
Ethics and Religious Liberty
Commission
of the
Southern
Baptist
Convention
Korean Churches for
Community Development/Faith
and Community Empowerment
National Association of
Evangelicals
National Hispanic Christian
Leadership Conference
The Wesleyan Church
World Relief
World Vision

The Southern Baptist Convention, a conservative evangelical denomination that is the nation’s largest Protestant church, passed a resolution on Tuesday at its meeting in Dallas calling for immigration reform that maintains “the priority of family unity.” The measure called for both securing the nation’s borders, and providing a pathway to legal status for undocumented immigrants living in the country. It passed on a near unanimous vote of the thousands of delegates in the room.
EDITORS’ PICKS
Your Recycling Gets Recycled, Right? Maybe, or Maybe Not
Blood Will Tell, Part I: Who Killed Mickey Bryan?
The Wounds of the Drone Warrior

“We declare that any form of nativism, mistreatment, or exploitation is inconsistent with the gospel of Jesus Christ,” the resolution said.

The Rev. Alan Cross, a Southern Baptist minister from Montgomery, Ala., who works on immigration issues, and attended the meeting, said, “It was motivated by what is happening at the border with parents and children being separated, and messengers were affected by that and submitted resolutions.”

“It was a really strong statement,” he said. “We’re saying we love these people, they’re made in God’s image, we should care for them, we don’t want families to be separated.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/us/trump-immigration-religion.html

They were willing to overlook a lot, but this time, even they are objecting.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
This is a fine example of fake news. Let's use partial quotes and pretend they tell the whole story. There is not the least bit of "breaking with Trump" or "distancing themselves from him" in Graham's quote.

Barb is just an avowed 'Trump hater' and will get on any 'bandwagon' that tries to discredit our President.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Heartbreaking. This administration is evil. Those who voted it into power for just this reason are evil and those who just didn't want Hillary are complicit with evil.

Listen to Children Who’ve Just Been Separated From Their Parents at the Border

[FONT=&]The desperate sobbing of 10 Central American children, separated from their parents one day last week by immigration authorities at the border, makes for excruciating listening. Many of them sound like they’re crying so hard, they can barely breathe. They scream “Mami” and “Papá” over and over again, as if those are the only words they know.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]The baritone voice of a Border Patrol agent booms above the crying. “Well, we have an orchestra here,” he jokes. “What’s missing is a conductor.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Then a distraught but determined 6-year-old Salvadoran girl pleads repeatedly for someone to call her aunt. Just one call, she begs anyone who will listen. She says she’s memorized the phone number, and at one point, rattles it off to a consular representative. “My mommy says that I’ll go with my aunt,” she whimpers, “and that she’ll come to pick me up there as quickly as possible.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]An audio recording obtained by ProPublica adds real-life sounds of suffering to a contentious policy debate that has so far been short on input from those with the most at stake: immigrant children. More than 2,300 of them have been separated from their parents since April, when the Trump administration launched its “zero tolerance” immigration policy, which calls for prosecuting all people who attempt to illegally enter the country and taking away the children they brought with them. More than 100 of those children are under the age of 4. The children are initially held in warehouses, tents or big box stores that have been converted into Border Patrol detention facilities.

[/FONT]

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Graham attempted to soften his criticism by blaming all politicians for the problem. Yet he's described what Trump has done as "disgraceful" and "terrible."

Remember, this is a man who defended Trump's sexual behavior with Stormy Daniels as irrelevant:

"This happened 11, 12, 13, 14 years ago," he said. "And so, I think there is a big difference and not that we give anybody a pass, but we have to look at the timeline and that was before he was in office."

Graham's argument was that Trump became a "changed man" after he was elected president, God having chose him to lead.

A *changed man* wouldn't need to continue to lie ... he would embrace the truth and offer a SINCERE apology. No apology and admission of guilt=no change.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Senior Republicans are attacking Trump's policy of separating families at the US border — here's how they're turning on the president
Sen. John McCain of Arizona: The zero tolerance policy "is an affront to the decency of the American people."
Rep. Will Hurd of Texas: This is "something that as Americans we shouldn't be doing."
Former first lady Laura Bush: The policy is "cruel" and "immoral."
Sen. Susan Collins of Maine: This is "inconsistent with our American values."
Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona: We want details on what guards are doing to families at the border.
Rep. Peter Roskam of Illinois: Reverse this policy — this is "a parent's worst nightmare."
Jeb Bush: This is a "heartless policy" that Trump should end.
Charlie Baker, Massachusetts Governor: The policy is "cruel and inhumane," and we're no longer sending National Guards to help at the Mexican border.
Anthony Scaramucci: Trump is "going to get hurt by this issue."
Evangelical leader Franklin Graham: The policy is "disgraceful," and it's "terrible to see families ripped apart."
US Conference of Catholic Bishops leader Daniel DiNardo: "Separating babies from their mothers is not the answer and is immoral."
Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma: We must "keep families together ... for as long as we can possibly keep them together."

http://www.businessinsider.com/list...ds-to-be-a-country-that-governs-with-heart-13

Some things, even a republican won't stand for.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Meanwhile, troubling images of cages, foil blankets, and crying children at U.S. detention centers near the border seem to have cut across traditional partisan lines. All four living former first ladies have publicly opposed the program. "I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel," wrote Laura Bush in an op-ed. "It is immoral. And it breaks my heart." And Melania Trump said she "hates to see children separated from their families."

Lawmakers in both parties traveled to border areas and detention centers over the weekend to survey the scene for themselves, and many expressed concern about the separation policy. Some have called on Trump to reconsider his approach. This comes as the president is slated to travel to Capitol Hill on Tuesday to meet with Republican lawmakers.

"The administration’s decision to separate families is a new, discretionary choice," Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska wrote in a Facebook post urging Trump to reverse the policy. "Anyone saying that their hands are tied or that the only conceivable way to fix the problem of catch-and-release is to rip families apart is flat wrong."

New surveys show majorities of Americans disapprove of the administration's approach, though Republican respondents largely agree with it. A CNN poll found that 60 percent of Americans disapproved of the family separation approach, while 28 percent approved. Among Republicans, 58 percent approved, while majorities of independents and Democrats disapproved.

A Quinnipiac University survey found 66 percent of American voters in opposition while 27 percent were in support. Among Republicans, 55 percent approved, while 35 percent disapproved.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...m_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Trump was so isolated inside his swamp, that he had no idea what decent Americans would think of his decision to tear families apart.

He's apparently stopped saying that he might quit abusing children if Congress let him do what he wants, so he's learned a little from the disaster.

But he's so unwilling to admit a mistake, he's doubled down on the abuse. Which is why the republicans are panicking over this, trying to find a way out. What's worrisome is the more the press exposes what he's doing, the less likely it is for him to stop taking children from their families.

It's not going to end well for anyone, I think.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Trump cites as a negotiating tool his policy of separating immigrant children from their parents
https://www.washingtonpost.com/

He seems to have left a little weasel room, though:

Hours after appearing to strike down a Republican-led compromise bill that would stop border authorities from separating children from their parents, the White House said President Donald Trump was still considering the legislation as well as a more conservative bill written by Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va.
https://www.upi.com/Trump-says-he-wont-sign-moderate-compromise-bill-on-immigration/9561529064737/

So he might agree to stop abusing children, if he gets the money he wants to build a useless wall. Or so he says.

To a narcissist like Trump, people aren't any concern, unless he can use them to get things he wants.

Of course, his story is that the democrats are forcing him to break up families and harm children.

Every major news outlet but FOX has called him out on that lie; he is quite aware that he implemented that policy, and can change it at any time.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So he might agree to stop abusing children, if he gets the money he wants to build a useless wall. Or so he says.

I must have missed the part where he said: "(I) might agree to stop abusing children, if (I get) the money (I want) to build a useless wall" :idunno:

To a narcissist like Trump, people aren't any concern...

to a liar like Barbie, the truth isn't any concern

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
https://abcnews.go.com/US/audio-rec...-children-migrant-detention/story?id=55986000

The children are believed to be between 4 and 10 years of age, and they're crying because their parents have been detained elsewhere after crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, according to an activist who provided the recording.

"Well, we have an orchestra here -- what's missing is a conductor," said a male voice on the recording, someone believed to be a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

One of the children heard on the recording is a 6-year-old girl from El Salvador begging a consulate official to let her call her aunt. She repeats the digits and announces, through tears: "My mommy says that I'll go with my aunt, and that she'll come to pick me up there as quickly as possible."