weekly weigh in

SaulToPaul 2

Don't pat yourself on the back. Proof texts out of context are used to support your preconceived weight ideas (eisegesis), rather than exegesis and all relevant advices and right paradigms/principles leading to right conclusions (wrong assumptions lead to wrong conclusions).You need to make an exegetical vs anecdotal case in your weight pet peeves.Your position is rationalism, naturalism, unbelief, not sound, Joe Weider supported advice.

What is your shoe size, and waste line size?

Losing fat is not divorced from loving obedience to the revealed perfect diet.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:up: Very true. That's why I emphasized "without losing strength". If I don't lose strength, I won't lose lean mass.
I'm convinced that if you're going to do one lift, it should be squats, and if you're going to do two lifts then do squats and dead lifts, and only if you're going to do three lifts should you bench press. That's just how I feel, and I'm speaking as someone with a desk job.
Lean mass is too hard to build up to then go on a crash diet and lose most of it. :e4e:
Arnold used steroids when he was cutting weight for competitions for this very reason. :chuckle:
208 and hydrated.
The biggest revelation for me within the past few years regarding diet is that mass in + current weight - mass out - metabolism = new weight. But water mass doesn't count. Mass in is actually non-water mass in---all the water in your food is as if you were drinking some water and eating some food.

For example, snack foods and baked goods contain almost no water. Every ounce you eat counts as non-water mass in. But a juicy cheeseburger, even piled high and deep with toppings and veggies, is about 50% water weight, so only half of the mass in, is non-water mass in.

Consider ice cream, and how much water is in it. Whole milk yogurt is my current favorite. A quart of plain whole milk yogurt is 2 lbs. If you eat the whole thing in one sitting (which I've done), because of the high water content, you only eat 1/4 lb of non-water mass. That's only about half a typical bag of potato or corn chips, and far more sating.

The simplest way to determine non-water mass of your food is to add up the weights (in grams) of each macronutrient (carbs, fats and proteins; I ignore salts because they're like water) and multiply it by the number of servings in the package, and then compare this to the net weight of the package. For whole milk yogurt, the macronutrient total is about 120-130 grams per quart, which is a bit more than a 1/4 lb. The quart itself weighs 907 grams or something like that. Most of it is water.

The same procedure with pretzels will yield almost 100% non-water mass in (less the salt).
It was all about getting over that mental hump for me. And following some good advice. It isn't even a thought now. The good advice was somebody saying "you need to ignore that feeling of hunger in your stomach".
:up: By the second day of any fast, I don't think about eating anymore. I don't want to say it's all in the mind or something gay like that, but . . . it is.

SaulToPaul 2

Arnold used steroids when he was cutting weight for competitions for this very reason. :chuckle:

Very true!

In the past, if I've continued lifting heavy (signaling my brain that I need these muscles) and get a decent amount of protein, I will keep 99% of my muscle.

john w

Hall of Fame
Losing fat is not divorced from loving obedience to the revealed perfect diet.
Oh, back with your Richard Simmons take off, I see, Mayor! I bet you think push up is one of them things in the frozen-food section with the sherbert inside, squirt. You beat everything, Mayor....

SaulToPaul 2

Oh, back with your Richard Simmons take off, I see, Mayor! I bet you think push up is one of them things in the frozen-food section with the sherbert inside, squirt. You beat everything, Mayor....

Who is your fitness guru? Why must you throw the babyfat out with the bathwater?
Am I getting through to you, Saint John Riprock?

john w

Hall of Fame
Who is your fitness guru? Why must you throw the babyfat out with the bathwater?
Am I getting through to you, Saint John Riprock?

Who is my fitness guru, you ask, rabble rouser? Anyone that agrees with me, when I quip that I like long walks, especially when they’re taken by people who annoy me. Clear, fella? And I’ve exercised with women so thin, that buzzards/vultures followed them to their cars.

SaulToPaul 2

Who is my fitness guru, you ask, rabble rouser? Anyone that agrees with me, when I quip that I like long walks, especially when they’re taken by people who annoy me. Clear, fella?

Oh sure! You're a real tough guy today!
I dare you to knock this rock off my shoulder.

Boy, you're no fun.

john w

Hall of Fame
I was taking off on that Quincy kid that was bullying Ope.
Am I getting through to you?

Yeah, well, today's eight-year-olds are tomorrow's Steve Quincy's, Mayor. I say this calls for action and now. Nip it in the bud. First sign of youngsters goin' wrong, you got to nip it in the bud.
And just don't mollycoddle them.