Was Lazarus A 'Bum'?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He wasn't working and he begged for food.

He was disabled and likely no one would hire him, because he had a leprosy like condition (filled with sores). You do know the difference between someone who wont work and someone who cant, no?

Why was the rich man wrong in denying him even the scraps of food off his table?
Because the jews were a theocracy and had been commanded by God to take care of those less fortunate.

Plenty here seem to think that those who don't work shouldn't eat so does this apply to all the homeless 'bums' and those down on their luck as well?

I'm sorry you think disabled people are bums. A bum to me is a capable person who refuses labor and mooches off others. In other words, can work, but won't.

You get it, but pretend you don't. Then there is the issue of it being a government role or not. Would you like a liberal theocracy?

musterion

Leftists love increasing welfare for the shiftless and slothful while destroying economies, since both weaken a nation and give fascists in government more excuses to legislate more power and control to themselves. That before anything else is what they hate the most about Trump -- if not the man himself (time will tell if he lives up to his promises), then the IDEA that he, or someone, might be able to start stripping government of all its unconstitutional power that keeps the Left in power.

Arthur Brain

He was disabled and likely no one would hire him, because he had a leprosy like condition (filled with sores). You do know the difference between someone who wont work and someone who cant, no?

Do you? Because short of mind reading you can't know who is "happy" enough just to live on welfare and those who are willing to work.

Because the jews were a theocracy and had been commanded by God to take care of those less fortunate.

Well, wasn't just the rich man who failed to provide a duty of care then was it? Yes, it's a story but I doubt it was entirely fictional either. Chances are there'd have been quite a few Lazarus's in that time, just as there are now.

I'm sorry you think disabled people are bums. A bum to me is a capable person who refuses labor and mooches off others. In other words, can work, but won't.

I'm sorry you're either stupid enough to think that or dishonest enough to say that's how I view disabled people.

You get it, but pretend you don't. Then there is the issue of it being a government role or not. Would you like a liberal theocracy?

I don't pretend any such thing. Are there going to be those who abuse the welfare/benefits system or those who try to avoid work? Sure, never said otherwise but for most it's a means to get by until they can find employment as it's no picnic. I don't want any sort of theocratic government thanks.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
is there anything in scripture to suggest that the rich man denied lazarus the scraps of food off his table?

While it doesnt say he was denied, it says both that lazarus longed for the scraps that fell from the rich mans table, and that he was at the gate (not under the rich mans table) longing suggests he doesnt have it or he would not be longing for them, and he was not near where the rich man ate.

Also after death, the rich man asks for just a drop of water from lazarus fingertips and was likewise denied even that "scrap/drop".

So it is suggesting that Lazarus wasnt given a thing by the rich man, even though that isnt expressly stated.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Leftists love increasing welfare for the shiftless and slothful while destroying economies, since both weaken a nation and give fascists in government more excuses to legislate more power and control to themselves. That before anything else is what they hate the most about Trump -- if not the man himself (time will tell if he lives up to his promises), then the IDEA that he, or someone, might be able to start stripping government of all its unconstitutional power that keeps the Left in power.

i saw Shiftless and Slothful open for Black Flag

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

:cough: Venezuela... isnt working out well is it...

ok doser

While it doesnt say he was denied, it says both that lazarus longed for the scraps that fell from the rich mans table, and that he was at the gate (not under the rich mans table) longing suggests he doesnt have it or he would not be longing for them, and he was not near where the rich man ate.

Also after death, the rich man asks for just a drop of water from lazarus fingertips and was likewise denied even that "scrap/drop".

So it is suggesting that Lazarus wasnt given a thing by the rich man, even though that isnt expressly stated.

i've always read it that the beggar received the scraps, if only because it seems the sort of thing that would be explicitly stated if the rich man had refused him

especially with the obvious parallel of the "scrap/drop"

instead, the lesson I get from it is tied to the "coat/cloak" symbolism from Mathhew 5:40

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes i do.

Because short of mind reading you can't know who is "happy" enough just to live on welfare and those who are willing to work.

Please show me where anything i adressed to you, suggests anything you just said, before you start running with this invention (your usual tactic)

Well, wasn't just the rich man who failed to provide a duty of care then was it? Yes, it's a story but I doubt it was entirely fictional either. Chances are there'd have been quite a few Lazarus's in that time, just as there are now.

Lazarus was sitting at the gate of the rich mans house, the focus is the rich man, not others, we have no way of knowing what happened with others and its irrelevant to your stance that lazarus is a mere bum (instead of a disabled man)

I'm sorry you're either stupid enough to think that or dishonest enough to say that's how I view disabled people.

Were finished after this post, you are the stupid one, who in your op title call the man a bum, no one did that but YOU.

I don't pretend any such thing. Are there going to be those who abuse the welfare/benefits system or those who try to avoid work? Sure, never said otherwise but for most it's a means to get by until they can find employment as it's no picnic. I don't want any sort of theocratic government thanks.

Theocratic government is exactly what you have now and want you just call it something else, while insisting that we pay taxes for charity, instead of just security and infastructure, which is the actual role of democratic government, the pork, is for the theocrats.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
i've always read it that the beggar received the scraps, if only because it seems the sort of thing that would be explicitly stated if the rich man had refused him

especially with the obvious parallel of the "scrap/drop"

instead, the lesson I get from it is tied to the "coat/cloak" symbolism from Mathhew 5:40

New International Version
and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

New Living Translation
As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man's table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

English Standard Version
who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores.

Berean Study Bible
and longing to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

Berean Literal Bible
and desiring to be fed from that falling from the table of the rich man; but even the dogs, coming, were licking his sores.

New American Standard Bible
and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores.

King James Bible
And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
He longed to be filled with what fell from the rich man's table, but instead the dogs would come and lick his sores.

Arthur Brain

Yes i do.

Oh, well good for you then.

Please show me where anything i adressed to you, suggests anything you just said, before you start running with this invention (your usual tactic)

Well there's no way you could know who is willing or unwilling to work short of some insight into somebody's life. Are there those who would avoid work at all costs if they could? Sure, as already conceded.

Lazarus was sitting at the gate of the rich mans house, the focus is the rich man, not others, we have no way of knowing what happened with others and its irrelevant to your stance that lazarus is a mere bum (instead of a disabled man)

If you genuinely think that's my "stance" then you really are just dumb. :doh:

Were finished after this post, you are the stupid one, who in your op title call the man a bum, no one did that but YOU.

Well, actually no I didn't. The title of the OP is 'Was Lazarus A 'Bum'? That's a question, not a statement for starters. Secondly, I worded it that way deliberately after some of the comments I've seen on here at times that have callously referred to homeless people as 'bums'. Thirdly, the context was blatantly obvious in that regard among other things so again, you're either just being bizarrely stupid at this point or deliberately lying.

Theocratic government is exactly what you have now and want you just call it something else, while insisting that we pay taxes for charity, instead of just security and infastructure, which is the actual role of democratic government, the pork, is for the theocrats.

No, we don't have theocratic government now, no matter how you try to spin it.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Nope, I've never attended their church and I've heard more about there doctrine on here than anywhere else. And I certainly don't believe that Michael is Jesus! Which I also heard someone here say, so i don't know if they do believe that or not!

There's something that's, not quite right with you.

ok doser

New International Version
and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

New Living Translation
As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man's table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

English Standard Version
who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores.

Berean Study Bible
and longing to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

Berean Literal Bible
and desiring to be fed from that falling from the table of the rich man; but even the dogs, coming, were licking his sores.

New American Standard Bible
and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores.

King James Bible
And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
He longed to be filled with what fell from the rich man's table, but instead the dogs would come and lick his sores.

not familiar with Holman, but they certainly do add to it :chuckle:

i've always gone with the KJV:
"And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores."

in which the "desiring" is an explanation for why he's there

if his expectations were denied, I'm not seeing it there :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He wasn't working and he begged for food.

Why was the rich man wrong in denying him even the scraps of food off his table?

Plenty here seem to think that those who don't work shouldn't eat so does this apply to all the homeless 'bums' and those down on their luck as well?

You called them bums, no one else.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
not familiar with Holman, but they certainly do add to it :chuckle:

i've always gone with the KJV:
"And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores."

in which the "desiring" is an explanation for why he's there

if his expectations were denied, I'm not seeing it there :idunno:

Sorry, cant help you on that, it certainly suggests to me, that he was completely denied help especially with that first then the context that the rich man was denied even one drop of water from Lazarus.

There would be no need to even mention lazarus being asked to give the rich man a drop of water, except to drive home that point.

Which is one received no comfort in life and rewarded comfort after death and the other none in death after comfort in life he would not share.

Arthur Brain

You called them bums, no one else.

Maybe instead of using (') I should have used (") around the word just so you couldn't possibly miss the barbed aspect.

And unfortunately Angel, there's been times on here where people have called those in poverty and homeless people bums and genuinely meant it.

ok doser

Maybe instead of using (') I should have used (") around the word just so you couldn't possibly miss the barbed aspect.

And unfortunately Angel, there's been times on here where people have called those in poverty and homeless people bums and genuinely meant it.

does anybody qualify as a "bum" to you?