Trump Has A Mandate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
we have to prove that every single vote is valid? :freak:
If you want to say that there was widespread fraud favoring Clinton then yes I do think the burden is on you to show it. Or are we just doubting the popular vote because who knows and why not? :idunno:

If Trump had won the popular vote I'm quite confident that his supporters would be using that to press for him having a mandate even more. But since he didn't, oh, it doesn't matter. It could be fraud, EC is all that matters, etc. :rolleyes:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
what would you accept as evidence?
:idunno: The allegations seem to be mostly about illegals voting, so maybe a list of voter names compared to one of legal residents?

Luckily it isn't on me to come up with evidence since I'm not making the claims. :D

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
:idunno: The allegations seem to be mostly about illegals voting, so maybe a list of voter names compared to one of legal residents?

Luckily it isn't on me to come up with evidence since I'm not making the claims. :D

i could make up a list for you :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Maybe in your mind but, since this institution has been working for well over 200 years with few instances of the vote being split between Popular & Electoral it is only the losers that are decrying the system is broke.
I'm not saying it's broken. In examining the whole thing I've just about concluded that the dangers and efforts needed to end the EC are worse than the cure, though it does seem to be happening more lately and maybe if that continues the cost/benefit will shift.

Outside of that, whoever makes the claim bears the burden. That's just an axiom of proof.

Furthermore, given there is no way to validate the popular vote without a voter identification system in place the popular vote winner cannot claim victory to that number even if it was the standard, which it is not.
That's an assertion/assumption. No serious study has ever indicated a statistically valid problem of election tipping fraud in our national history. Until that's sustained it's just political gamesmanship, whichever side is complaining. So Reagan, Bill, etc. can absolutely rest on their popular mandates and Hillary can rightly note that absent some proof to the contrary, millions more desired to see her ensconced than the fellow who won the land over hands contest.

That said, unless and until we do away with the EC, that's the way the old political cookie crumbles and people rending garments over it is just a waste of time. The election is over. It's time to move to the next thing.

All you have is sour grapes that your candidate could not sell her wares outside of liberal urban cities.
You keep doing that, rm. You need to read me more widely because this is the second time you've missed the mark widely. I actually and repeatedly called for people not to vote for either. I didn't want either of these snake oil salesmen in the White House, so I'd be sour by either margin. I called her a near perfect storm of everything I dislike in politicians. Trump? As bad if in a different approach.

But you're not being fair about the demographic. Hillary had a lot of support outside of cities. Over half the electorate went with her and a good bit of that electorate doesn't live inside a few urban centers. It's just that this was, relatively speaking, a really close election.The concentrations were enough to help Trump carry areas outside of them, many of those by not so much. Anyway, a win is a win, close or by a mile.

Imagination?
Sure. If you've ever flown over the country in an airplane (or, I suppose, anything else that flies) you'll notice there aren't any actual lines on the topography below.

Not so much, the electoral vote is the only vote that counts under the constitutional system that framers set up,
Completely undisputed by me.

move to a banana republic if you want mob rule.
See, that's funny. You want "mob rule" too, only you like the way we've imagined carving up that mob. There's no magic in the EC. It's only reflecting that carving.

Clinton knew the standard going into this election, everyone knew the standard, and if you cannot meet the standard you lose
I've held no other opinion. I've said as much in this very thread, I believe.

Which party controls this government?
Who seem confused on the point?

..I wouldn't call that a stunning victory by any stretch
Me either. I also wouldn't call it a mandate for the side that actually lost seats.

and given that since 2010 democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats, one would have conclude that the democrat party is on a roll.
I'd conclude that when you look at the demographics of the party and the opposition you have a problem over the long haul. Obama was terrific as a rallying point for conservatives. Now the voices that made their living saying no and pointing fingers have the opportunity to put up and make their case.

Interesting times to live in.

jeffblue101

Nice try, but the two situations aren't at all comparable.

On his way out of office, W. Bush was struggling to maintain a 30% approval rating. On his way out of office, Obama is pushing a 60% approval rating.

Obama might as well have an approval rating of 100 as it didn't help his party to maintain control. 60% or 30% makes no difference since both Obama and Bush ended up with the same fate which is handing over the keys to the White House to the opposition party which controls the majority of state and federal legislative bodies.

Jose Fly

Obama might as well have an approval rating of 100 as it didn't help his party to maintain control. 60% or 30% makes no difference since both Obama and Bush ended up with the same fate which is handing over the keys to the White House to the opposition party which controls the majority of state and federal legislative bodies.

The approval ratings show that your "Obama was so bad..." line simply isn't true. A solid majority of Americans approve of the job he's done, very close to the ratings Reagan was getting on his way out.

jeffblue101

The approval ratings show that your "Obama was so bad..." line simply isn't true. A solid majority of Americans approve of the job he's done, very close to the ratings Reagan was getting on his way out.

if Obama was so good then democrats would not have lost control of the majority of U.S. legislative bodies. The "third term of Obama" would have never come close to losing swing states if the approval rating actually meant something.

Alate_One

if Obama was so good then democrats would not have lost control of the majority of U.S. legislative bodies. The "third term of Obama" would have never come close to losing swing states if the approval rating actually meant something.

Democrats didn't show up in the midterms in 2010, then the Republicans gerrymandered themselves into being almost unremovable. Republicans have been destroying democracy for some time now. It's just becoming more obvious now.

Jose Fly

if Obama was so good

Obviously he was, since a solid majority of the country approves of the job he's done.

then democrats would not have lost control of the majority of U.S. legislative bodies.

You're assuming that the election was first and foremost a referendum on Obama. He wasn't on the ballot, and the candidate who was running to continue his policies had her own well-documented issues. Further, it's not unusual for a two-term president's party to loose ground at the end of his term. Two terms of one party in the WH typically motivates the other side.

The "third term of Obama" would have never come close to losing swing states if the approval rating actually meant something.

I see....approval ratings don't mean anything. Yet another data set conservatives try and make go away when it doesn't tell them what they want to hear.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
If there were good evidence of cheating or over-counting in favor of Democrats in a state that Republicans won, why do you suppose Republicans and the Trump campaign sued to stop the recount? Shouldn't we go ahead with a recount if it has the potential to uncover fraud? For that matter, what makes you so sure the discrepancy was due to pro-Clinton cheating?

It's pretty simple, actually.

The headline reads:
'Democrats are crooks'

Why should anyone want to suffer a recount when they've prevailed

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You're assuming that the election was first and foremost a referendum on Obama. He wasn't on the ballot, and the candidate who was running to continue his policies had her own well-documented issues.
Right. The election result could be more about Clinton than Obama, though a continuation of Obama's policies was a factor.

Obama said that he'd take a Clinton loss personally but that may have simply been an attempt to make sure his supporters went out for Clinton also.

Alate_One

Right. The election result could be more about Clinton than Obama, though a continuation of Obama's policies was a factor.

Obama said that he'd take a Clinton loss personally but that may have simply been an attempt to make sure his supporters went out for Clinton also.
The election was close enough it could be considered to be "about" dozens of different things. Comey's letter, the media's obsession with Trump and his twitter feed to the exclusion of all else. One thing I would say is almost certain, it had very little to do with the policies of either candidate, because they were basically not talked about by the media. Everything was about personality "corruption" and the like.

Quincy

Not directly. But the repeated information dumps kept the spotlight OFF of policy differences between the candidates.

Didn't our traditional news media do a far better job of that, though? It's just that, I have a hard time believing enough people to affect the election outcome actually paid any attention to dumb stuff dumped onto social media. There were some stuff from wikileaks that made the main news but, I don't know. It seemed like the traditional media covered the negative things far too much and in the end, none of it would really mattered because working class people and many progressives lost their connection with the democrats.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
That's an assertion/assumption. No serious study has ever indicated a statistically valid problem of election tipping fraud in our national history. Until that's sustained it's just political gamesmanship, whichever side is complaining.

An assertion yes but, no more of an assertion than claiming victory to a standard that can not be validated in either case. This is what I would assert as an impasse.

So Reagan, Bill, etc. can absolutely rest on their popular mandates and Hillary can rightly note that absent some proof to the contrary, millions more desired to see her ensconced than the fellow who won the land over hands contest.

Ronald Reagan saw two landslide victories and I believe that 525 electoral votes has never been exceeded, Bill Clinton also saw a marginally large EC vote at 379, it would conclude that both saw wide support across the board. Different times and certainly a different country, Trump cannot claim an EC landslide because it was not but, his party by holding all three branches after this fistfight of an election can claim the mandate, and so it will be fulfilled.

You keep doing that, rm. You need to read me more widely because this is the second time you've missed the mark widely. I actually and repeatedly called for people not to vote for either. I didn't want either of these snake oil salesmen in the White House, so I'd be sour by either margin. I called her a near perfect storm of everything I dislike in politicians. Trump? As bad if in a different approach.

Fair enough, sorry I lumped you in with the sour grapes crowd. Trump was never my pick either but, I would have voted for anyone that would have denied Clinton's candidacy.

But you're not being fair about the demographic. Hillary had a lot of support outside of cities. Over half the electorate went with her and a good bit of that electorate doesn't live inside a few urban centers. It's just that this was, relatively speaking, a really close election.The concentrations were enough to help Trump carry areas outside of them, many of those by not so much. Anyway, a win is a win, close or by a mile.

And yet we look at the voting map by county and it is almost exclusively liberal urban centers i.e. big cities where she saw her votes. The lines might not be there when you fly over but, they tell a story when you look at a map now don't they?

http://metrocosm.com/election-2016-map-3d/

See, that's funny. You want "mob rule" too, only you like the way we've imagined carving up that mob. There's no magic in the EC. It's only reflecting that carving.

That is funny I thought I was speaking against the mob and for the constitutional system that served this nation well for over 200 years.

I'd conclude that when you look at the demographics of the party and the opposition you have a problem over the long haul. Obama was terrific as a rallying point for conservatives. Now the voices that made their living saying no and pointing fingers have the opportunity to put up and make their case.

Interesting times to live in.

Neither I nor the republican party have the problem, the problem lies with the opposition that is slowly losing control of every government branch local, state by state, & nationally also holding their ideologic upper hand in the courts. It is all bad for them from where I am looking at this, the problem lies in pushing ideology, political correctness & minority rule upon an entire nation...it is being wholly rejected as we speak... Interesting times indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.