Trump finally fires James Comey

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

Are we now expected to take Trump at his word - that he has totally reversed his position, for reasons unknown, and had Comey fired for his mean treatment of Hillary Clinton 9 months ago?

If the FBI, Senate and House investigations are all "bogus," that effectively eliminates many of the constitutional checks and balances designed to curb the abuse of presidential power.

Given Republican majorities in the House and Senate, who control both of the investigative committees, Trump has in effect declared war on his own party!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm curious. Are there any Trump supporters here willing to agree to an extended, thoughtful, non-dismissive, fact-based look at the publicly-disclosed facts of the Trump-Russia case? Something informally one-on-one, perhaps?
I live in Missouri, the Show-Me state, Show me the evidence !!!
In 1899, Rep. Willard D. Vandiver said, "Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri. You've got to show me."

rexlunae

In 1899, Rep. Willard D. Vandiver said, "Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri. You've got to show me."

If the only thing you'll accept is a smoking gun, you'll probably have to wait for the conclusion of the FBI's investigation. That seems to be ramping up, but who knows how long it will take.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

Where was "patrick jane's" newfound SHOW ME attitude when President Trump accused former President Obama of "wiretapping" Trump Towers?

This President has yet to produce the so-called evidence that he claims exists!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
If the only thing you'll accept is a smoking gun, you'll probably have to wait for the conclusion of the FBI's investigation. That seems to be ramping up, but who knows how long it will take.
True, I've seen some peripheral Russian contact but nothing implicating Trump. We'll have to wait and see.

rexlunae

True, I've seen some peripheral Russian contact but nothing implicating Trump. We'll have to wait and see.

There are a couple of things that suggest a direct connection to Trump to me.

1. The sheer number of Trump associates with these secret connections. Flynn, Sessions, Manafort, Carter Page, Rex Tillerson, Roger Stone, Wilbur Ross. There are probably more than I can't think of. They all met with Russian officials, and then subsequently lied about it, even in contexts where they were legally required to tell the truth (see: Flynn). Even if you've accepted that the administration will lie constantly, that's pretty extreme.

2. The lies about association with Russia. Trump has claimed to have no business ties to Russia, but his sons have claimed that they have tons. One of those things is a lie, and the only one with a motive that I can see is Trump's statement.

3. The use of actual lines of Russian intelligence talking points. Maybe he just has an addiction to RT and InfoWars. But it is striking how directly Trump adopted Russian propaganda lines directly on the campaign, and even after.

All of that is suggestive, not definitive. But to me it seems quite suggestive. And the insistence of some that somehow the fact that no smoking gun has been produced so far indicates that there isn't one, or that the concerns are paranoid seems more than a little hasty.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

1. The sheer number of Trump associates with these secret connections. Flynn, Sessions, Manafort, Carter Page, Rex Tillerson, Roger Stone, Wilbur Ross.
Normal relations for campaigns on both sides. Clinton has more Russian collusion than Trump.

musterion

Jeff Sessions and the Justice Department are helping Trump lie
Trump’s tendency to surround himself with yes men and force them to compete for his favor is well known — it’s a core feature of his management style. But while it’s been clear since inauguration that this tendency has infected the functioning of the White House, it’s only now becoming apparent that it’s infected the basic functioning of the entire federal government.
People whose loyalty to government precedes loyalty to Trump are distrusted and, often, pushed out. Those who are brought in — even if they appear from the outside to be statesmen — can be counted on, when the chips are down, to put their loyalty to Trump first. The Trump administration, broadly construed, cannot be trusted; it’s up to the career civil servants below them in the executive branch to protect the federal government’s remaining integrity.

Sessions and Rosenstein allegedly invented a lie to satisfy Trump

On May 9, after two weeks on the job, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein wrote a memo to Attorney General Jeff Sessions about how James Comey had undermined the public’s trust in the FBI by mishandling the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server in 2016. Sessions immediately sent the memo to Trump with a cover letter recommending Comey be fired; Trump fired Comey the same day, with his own letter, and notified him only after the fact — Comey learned of the firing himself only after seeing the news on a television screen.(You can read Andrew Prokop’s full explainer on the firing here.)
No one — even the White House itself — pretends this is the whole story.
It would be hard enough to believe that the firing of Comey over a 2016 investigation was so urgent that it had to be announced before Comey himself could be told. It would be harder still to believe that the firing offense was something that both Trump and Sessions praised at the time — both Comey’s initial characterization of Clinton’s email setup as “extremely careless” during a July press conference announcing the closure of the investigation and his decision to reopen the investigation in October, days before the election, when potential new evidence was discovered.
But as it is, it’s impossible to believe because the White House isn’t even trying. President Trump on Wednesday, when asked why Comey was fired, said vaguely that he “wasn’t doing a very good job,” with no reference whatsoever to the email investigation. Deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Wednesday that Trump had been considering firing Comey since the election.
And immediately after news of Comey’s firing became public, reporters at multiple outlets started hearing a very different story about what had happened from White House staff.
According to reports from the New York Times, Politico, and others, the decision to fire Comey came from Trump himself several days ago. Trump was reportedly infuriated by continued attention to the FBI’s investigation into potential ties between his presidential campaign and the Russian government, and had focused that anger toward Comey. The Times reported that Sessions was tasked with finding a reason to fire someone Trump already wanted gone.
The bottom line is that Rosenstein and Sessions gave President Trump what he wanted: a bipartisan pretext for a decision to fire a government official who also happened to be investigating Trump’s campaign.

Fake news.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Normal relations for campaigns on both sides. Clinton has more Russian collusion than Trump.

IF that were true, she would be president. Trump was Putin's choice for the simple fact that he is compromised. However, I won't try to convince you because it will come out.

musterion

Mentally deranged Maxine Waters, I believe it is, said that it was wrong for Trump to fire Comey...but she would have supported Clinton firing Comey. Like Pelosi, the woman is senile and needs to be put in a home.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
IF that were true, she would be president. Trump was Putin's choice for the simple fact that he is compromised. However, I won't try to convince you because it will come out.
When, 7.5 years from now, after Trump completes his 8 years? :chuckle:

Danoh

1. The sheer number of Trump associates with these secret connections. Flynn, Sessions, Manafort, Carter Page, Rex Tillerson, Roger Stone, Wilbur Ross. There are probably more than I can't think of. They all met with Russian officials, and then subsequently lied about it, even in contexts where they were legally required to tell the truth (see: Flynn). Even if you've accepted that the administration will lie constantly, that's pretty extreme.

2. The lies about association with Russia. Trump has claimed to have no business ties to Russia, but his sons have claimed that they have tons. One of those things is a lie, and the only one with a motive that I can see is Trump's statement.

3. The use of actual lines of Russian intelligence talking points. Maybe he just has an addiction to RT and InfoWars. But it is striking how directly Trump adopted Russian propaganda lines directly on the campaign, and even after.

All of that is suggestive, not definitive. But to me it seems quite suggestive. And the insistence of some that somehow the fact that no smoking gun has been produced so far indicates that there isn't one, or that the concerns are paranoid seems more than a little hasty.

4. Trump's well known, life-long political and financial corruption.

5. Trump's well-known, life-long incompetence and its' cover up; all in the service of his severely out of touch with reality - narcissism.

6. Trump is simply incapable of uttering three words without setting himself off into one lie after another.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Nope.

Pence will go down with him.

unlikely that pence would go down at the same time - they'd have to have a second impeachment hearing

meanwhile, pence would be sworn in and he'd appoint a veep

if he was smart, he'd choose strategically

maybe snoop dogg

:think: or sarah palin