toldailytopic: Why (or why not) are you convinced that the Bible is the word of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

The Bible shows that God is a logical impossibility therefore it can't be the word of God.

1 John 4:8 (NLT) - "God is love."
1 Corinthians 13:4 (NLT) - "Love is not jealous."
Exodus 20:5 (NLT) - "I the LORD thy God am a jealous God.

If God is love and love is not jealous then how can God be a jealous God?
A logical impossibility.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Why (or why not) are you convinced that the Bible is the word of God.

Why (?) Are you convinced that the Bible is the word of God.

• It states that God is.
  • That the God's word is forever settled in heaven, spoken, which settles the written word.
  • It is the only book that tells a person about salvation.
  • His word is a light and a lamp.
  • I can treasure it up in my heart.
  • The New Testament is an accurate witness concerning Jesus.
  • The Holy Spirit testifies that Jesus is Truth.
  • Also by the witness of those who believe it, and those who do not.
  • And the character of those who scoff at it and those who do not.
  • You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free ~ Jesus.

Therefore, I believe that the word of God is valid, truth. It is also the divider of people, because when they read the Bible and not go by hearsay or suppositions and assumptions, yes when they read it, they either take it to their soul and find salvation or drive it far from themselves and remain the same, still lost.

That is my opinion, story, whatever, and I'm sticking to it.

Cracked

Being the Word of God, at least as we use the term today, implies infallibility yet we recognize we don't have the originals and there have been errors in transmission, we recognize errors in translation, and we recognize errors in understanding, so what we have is not infallible so what's the big deal if the original is not infallible? Why the double standard?

Hence the paper pope - KJV onlyism.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Love.

I can feel God's love for me when I read the pages of the bible in a way that no other book has ever made me feel.

When it is that time of day that I set aside to pour over the pages of the bible, I actually get giddy.

It is a sacred time for me.

Merry meat

The bible is the word of god because of all the prophecies that have come true. If you compare the life of jesus with that which was prophecided by the prophets, they match up exactly. As the bible correctly states, "A fool in his heart says there is no God."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not convinced the Bible is the word of God for one simple reason: I am not convinced that God exists.

Krsto

The Bible shows that God is a logical impossibility therefore it can't be the word of God.

A logical impossibility.

The Greek word and the Hebrew word translated "jealous" aren't the same?

That was easy.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

A logical impossibility.

Seriously? That is what you use to convince yourself that there is no God?

:rotfl:

Nydhogg

No. That's one simple example of why he rejects biblical inerrancy.

A single contradiction kills biblical inerrancy. Here is one. And the Skeptic's Annotated Bible tracks a whole lot of other contradictions.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

A single contradiction kills biblical inerrancy. Here is one. And the Skeptic's Annotated Bible tracks a whole lot of other contradictions.

I must have missed where he talked about inerrancy. It seems to me he was stating his belief that the bible cannot be the word of God based on a perceived contradiction.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If God is love and love is not jealous then how can God be a jealous God? A logical impossibility.

Sorry to pop your little bubble, alwight, but the words translated as jealous in the two passages aren't the same word.

Nice try though. :thumb:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How credulous of you. What positive reason is there to accept the infallibility of the Bible over all the other books that are self-proclaimed divine?

What other books?

And why do we keep getting this "self-proclaimed" nonsense? Where does the bible claim that it is "divine" or "the word of God"?

Krsto

No I'm sorry to say that wasn't one but if you can pull up another we'll see what we can do with it. Not that I need the bible to be innerrant. I don't, but I do enjoy a good challenge. That one was way too easy. My youngest is in 7th grade. I'll see if it's a challenge for him.

Skavau

What other books?
The Qu'ran, for one.

And why do we keep getting this "self-proclaimed" nonsense? Where does the bible claim that it is "divine" or "the word of God"?
You're playing semantics. Either you believe the Bible accurately describes reality or you do not. You obviously do - so the question must be asked as to why this is, and why you choose it other all other possible books declared to be objective.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Qu'ran, for one.
Never heard of it. :idunno:

Does it say it is holy?

You're playing semantics.
I am? You claimed the bible says it refers to itself as a holy book. I'm asking you where it says that. Hardly semantics.

Either you believe the Bible accurately describes reality or you do not. You obviously do - so the question must be asked as to why this is, and why you choose it other all other possible books declared to be objective.

Because it makes sense.

Skavau

Stripe said:
Never heard of it.

Does it say it is holy?
Stop being obtuse. The Qu'ran claims to be superior and claims to explain reality far better than the Bible does. What reason do I have to trust in the Bible over the Qu'ran?

I am? You claimed the bible says it refers to itself as a holy book. I'm asking you where it says that. Hardly semantics.
If you want to as a Christian believe that the Bible is neither the word of God, and not divine, then that's your pregorative. Your opinion is of course a fractional minority. The Bible is frequently referred to as the inspired word of God and frequently is claimed by many sects of Christianity to outline God's divine plan.

Because it makes sense.
In what way?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What reason do I have to trust in the Bible over the Qu'ran?

No "reason" at all. Belief in the Bible is a matter of ~FAITH~

And that gifted ~FAITH~ comes by the grace of God, alone.

If you remain in unbelief and live contrary to God's word, then the issue of the validity of the Qu'ran means zilch.

The criteria for salvation from sin, death, and hell, does not consist in belief between Bible or Qu'ran.

The criteria that determines salvation, is whether Father God has imputed the righteousness of His Son, to any given sinner.

The evidence of such an unchangeable and forensic ruling, declared and performed by Almighty God, the Judge, will invariably produce saving FAITH, and a life-style that accords with the Holy Scriptures . . .Sola Scriptura! Sola Fide! Sola Gratia! Solus Christus! Sola Deo Gloria!

Bah . . . "Qu'ran ". . . and all other false teachings of ungodly men!

Nang

Status
Not open for further replies.