toldailytopic: Why do bad things happen to good people?

Ilovetruth

Why do bad things happen to good people?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 3rd, 2011 09:54 AM

I think Isaiah has a good answer Isa 57:1-2 The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come. He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

Hebrews 12:1-11 explains how the LORD chastens those he loves in order that they may be partakers of His holiness. Chastening produces the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercized thereby.

See also 1 Peter 4:17-19: For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

:angel:

Silent Hunter

Is natural "evil" a problem for God?
Nature isn't evil.

The christian deity otoh, since he/she/it allows "bad" things to happen (natural and man-made) when it is within his/her/its ability to prevent it is (should he/she/it exist) the very definition of evil in my opinion.

That's a tough question. Interestingly the Book of Genesis answers a lot of age old questions. Why are we naked? Where do we come from? Is there a God? Why do people speak so many different languages? Which God do we worship? Genesis helps answer this question too. Proverbs says that Luck and Chance happen to them all the Good and the Bad. Either way a living lion is better than a dead dog. Even if you are foolish while you are alive you are better off than being dead as a doornail. I am trying to learn from my foolish mistakes. I try to keep company with Lady Wisdom and to eat the fruits of righteousness which are my delight.

Why do bad things happen to good people? Disease, Pain, Suffering, Disasters, Death pretty much every hardship in life can be explained away by the fall. In Genesis we learn that before the fall there was none of these bad things bothering us. After God cursed the ground we walk on none is safe enough or godly enough to prevent these things from happening. We suffer because we have failed God but also because Adam failed God. If Adam never sinned we wouldn't have all these problems and wouldn't even have to deal with this question. We would be enjoying paradise with God in the garden. We are left trying to eke out an existence and put sin to death in our members. God hasn't forsaken us though we can still reap the benefits of obeying God.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Nature isn't evil.
That's why I put it in quotes.

The christian deity otoh, since he/she/it allows "bad" things to happen (natural and man-made) when it is within his/her/its ability to prevent it is (should he/she/it exist) the very definition of evil in my opinion.
I tend to think free will is a workable explanation for evil that is brought on by ourselves. However natural evil seems to be a different case. I'm not sure. :idunno:

Some people try to tie natural disasters, etc. to the fall of man and there can be some scriptural support but I'm not sure I completely buy into it.

Silent Hunter

That's why I put it in quotes.
I.C.

I tend to think free will is a workable explanation for evil that is brought on by ourselves. However natural evil seems to be a different case. I'm not sure.

Some people try to tie natural disasters, etc. to the fall of man and there can be some scriptural support but I'm not sure I completely buy into it.
Is he willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - David Hume

Free Will.

Neither of which are new to you.

Paidion

In the link given by Silent Hunter, we read, "Even if man is believed to have free will, God could have created humans such that they would always freely choose the good."

This statement is incoherent. If people always choose the good, then they do not FREELY choose the good. God cannot create such people, not because He is not omnipotent, but because contradictions are not objects of power.

If people ALWAYS choose good, that means they CANNOT choose evil, and if they CANNOT choose evil, then they do not have libertarian free will.

Paidion

Silent Hunter wrote:
Nature isn't evil.

Here is a sentence from Wikipedia's article on "evil":

Some authors, such as Christian apologist William Lane Craig, have divided evil into moral evil, or harms perpetrated by some agent; and natural evil, harms resulting from natural disasters, disease, or other agentless causes. Natural evil has particular import to theodicy, as it cannot be simply explained as the result of an agent's free will.

IXOYE

Because it doesn't matter. God isn't fair the way we judge fairness. This world has all sorts of twists and turns, and it rains on the just and unjust alike.

Right now, this unjust Barbarian could use a little rain. Ninety-nine degrees already, and stones to be laid.

God doesn't say that you'll be fortunate if you give your life to Him. He says you'll be happy. In our church, when I was a boy, there was a woman who had MS. She could barely walk, and yet several times a week, she'd totter the three blocks to the church and attend mass.

She was always smiling and always kind to everyone. God was a constant part of her life, and she was happy. I try to remember that woman whenever I start to feel put upon by the world.

Thank you for sharing.

IXOYE

Nature isn't evil.

So, 2 men are about to drown, which one do you save? Only 1...

How can you make the right decision? You don't know who or what they are, if they are good or bad, etc.... so you save the one in the pokiceman's uniform, thinking he's doing good. The other was on track to be president, and settle the middle east, and Africa. You don't know to make the right call.

Of there is a God in charge, omni....and existed before creation, then outside of time, botlrth, life, death are not linear. We don't know what to do, we judge by our surroundings, and have no client the.ramifications.

Examples, Peter and the ear.
God appointed and used pharoh...bad man but it freed Israel.
God appointed Judas. Had we stopped that one, what would we be now?
What Judas did is certainly evil to the perspective of one living the day it happened. Yet, it happened. Man doesn't know good from evil.