toldailytopic: Why do bad things happen to good people?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 3rd, 2011 09:54 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But know this - those that think they can escape justice and prey on the innocent are gravely mistaken. Not only will they face consequences in this life, so there will also be great consequences in the next.

some other dude

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Because it doesn't matter. God isn't fair the way we judge fairness. This world has all sorts of twists and turns, and it rains on the just and unjust alike.

Right now, this unjust Barbarian could use a little rain. Ninety-nine degrees already, and stones to be laid.

God doesn't say that you'll be fortunate if you give your life to Him. He says you'll be happy. In our church, when I was a boy, there was a woman who had MS. She could barely walk, and yet several times a week, she'd totter the three blocks to the church and attend mass.

She was always smiling and always kind to everyone. God was a constant part of her life, and she was happy. I try to remember that woman whenever I start to feel put upon by the world.

Holy Moses

Because that is life.

Disease does not discriminate or have value judgements. A weather pattern or natural disasters don't pick and choose good or bad people to wipe out. Some things are random chance such as accidents. People's choices factor in to "bad things" befalling a person.

Ted L Glines

Good and bad things are going to happen to all individuals. Mortality is like that. Someone may ask, "Why would God allow a child to be abused?" I would respond that God is not a lifeguard.

IXOYE

1) death became part of our nature. Instead of eating of the tree of life, we did knowledge of good and evil. Death, physical and spiritual became a reality.

2) Man has a survivial instinct nature referenced as FLESH or SINFUL NATURE. It's the ME ME ME ME ME nature, it satiates your sexual hunger, physical hunger, social hunger, and keeps you alive, It's all about me. It may not be much but it's all the ME some people ever know.

3) the results are: ME, wants for ME what ME wants. That means other's take a distant second fiddle.

4) In the process of taking from others what ME wants bad things happen.

5) If you Love God and Love neighbor, and got everyone to do the same, since that word for LOVE means service, and not warm fuzzies. you would serve others and they woul dtoo. The ME factor is removed.

6) Ok there aren't six....

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 3rd, 2011 09:54 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Breathe

God isn't fair the way we judge fairness.

This. Yes.

Why do so many people insist on seeing God as just like us? Made in His image, yes - but not an exact duplicate. We cannot hold God to our puny human standards, nor can we even begin to understand Him or His reasons.

jjkky

It's all in one's perception. As long as you live with God in your heart, there is no bad, only unwanted expectations. Live each moment as it happens, seek joy, love all things, and understand that what one may see as evil another sees values that others do not. And yes, even the loss of a child does not mean something evil has happened. It's funny the church teaches that our greatest reward is heaven, but no one wants to die to get there.....just saying........

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But know this - those that think they can escape justice and prey on the innocent are gravely mistaken. Not only will they face consequences in this life, so there will also be great consequences in the next.

:mock: granite

Good and bad things are going to happen to all individuals. Mortality is like that. Someone may ask, "Why would God allow a child to be abused?" I would respond that God is not a lifeguard.

I would respond "why do you allow it?". God authorized men to govern and wield the sword of justice. Instead, the governments steal money and profane him.

RakMaster

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
(Romans 5:12)

There are no good people. There's only bad people, doing bad things to each other.

This is a twisting of the Euthyphro Dilemma. It is an emotive argument with no basis, or foundation, other than inciting one to base their thoughts on how they "feel" about "bad" things happening to "good" people. There's a hundred or more reasons why God could, should and even ought, to allow bad things to happen.

This is a dead horse, and as an argument, it stinks.