toldailytopic: What things should you look for when picking a good church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

He wasn't being mean to her. The joke is that Ghost has been on this forum years longer than AMR, only Ghost has appeared under numerous names. He was alluding to fact that she is not knowledgeable about that bit of information. It was a lighthearted joke.

I am now, in my blithering ignorance, laughing!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would rather get my theology from the Bible.
Same here. That's why I am a open theist. Based on what you have typed it sounds like you are as well. The gap theory stuff has nothing to do with open theism.

Open theism merely means that the future is open in that every man has hope. Every man can choose for himself who he will serve God, or something else.

i.e., Joshua 24:15

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Other than #2, I think I agree with all the rest. :)

From a closed view perspective why do you suppose God would predetermine that some churches preach open theism?? :think:

Now that I have shot off my mouth, I will take this head on. Closed View perspective--I don't have a closed view perspective. The church staff would choose the teach Boyd's books from the pulpit. I should Amend 2 to specifically mean Gregory Boyd or the book The Shack. This is the kind of bad theology that I have issues with.

2. Teaching the works of Gregory Boyd or any other person other then God from the Pulpit. ;)

God doesn't make everyone into robots. That is not scriptural and just as bad an Boyd's brand of Open Theism.

Technically, the Bible could be called open theistic in places. He created Man with a free will. Take King David for example. He goofed with Bathsheba and it had terrible consequences in his family. And yet God still called him a man after his heart.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Technically, the Bible could be called open theistic in places.
I would say.... from cover to cover. :)

Let me give you a crystal clear example to add to the example that you already gave us....

Isaiah 5:1 Now let me sing to my Well-beloved A song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard: My Well-beloved has a vineyard On a very fruitful hill. 2 He dug it up and cleared out its stones, And planted it with the choicest vine. He built a tower in its midst, And also made a winepress in it; So He expected it to bring forth good grapes, But it brought forth wild grapes. 3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, Judge, please, between Me and My vineyard. 4 What more could have been done to My vineyard That I have not done in it? Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes, Did it bring forth wild grapes?

God expected obedience due do His benevolence, yet since man has a will of his own and can mess things up, man gave God disobedience.

Welcome to the ranks of open theism. :thumb:

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Brilliant example! :) The bible is the best tool in debates in my book.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was told this once--The Bible is the plumb-line by which all ideas are measured--That's going in my signature, when I can have one.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You are a lying old witch. You will go to hell.

I challenged LA because he choose to quote irrelevant passages having nothing to do with the debate. He is a moron, and you are a lifeless dog.

I can't think of a more relevant passage of Scripture to give answer to your bad behavior and bitter speech.

James 3:5-11

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Deut 31:16. God knew what these people would do before he ever called them.
God knew the type of people they were and He knew their hearts and knew they would reject Him. God knows everything knowable, therefore He can know with a great degree of accuracy what we may do in the near future.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I went to a Unitarian Universalist Church once, I'd go back.

Unitarian answer to the question: How many Unitarians does it take to change a lightbulb?

"We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your personal relationship with your light bulb, and present it next month at our annual light bulb Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, three-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence."

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Same here. That's why I am a open theist. Based on what you have typed it sounds like you are as well. The gap theory stuff has nothing to do with open theism.

Open theism merely means that the future is open in that every man has hope. Every man can choose for himself who he will serve God, or something else.

i.e., Joshua 24:15

Quite true. If Calvinism were true, then why evangelize? I am involved in the evangelizing of children because I believe there is hope for everyone. Those kids may go back and evangelize their parents. We've had it happen.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quite true. If Calvinism were true, then why evangelize? I am involved in the evangelizing of children because I believe there is hope for everyone.
Well said.

And God agrees.

2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Yet we know all men don't come to repentance therefore, they must have a will apart from God's.

Status
Not open for further replies.