toldailytopic: What things should you look for when picking a good church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Just my opinion, but I don't believe it's possible to find a good church, as in a denominational fellowship. However, I do believe that home fellowships (free churches) of like-minded believers are good churches provided they are well grounded in sound doctrines.

There isn't an existing denominational church that I would bring my children to. I'd sooner send them off to public school.

The Berean

Thinks I stay away from in looking for a church

1. The pastor doesn't preach from the Bible.

2. If no one raise their hands (or even dance) before God in worship or are afraid to be expressive I stay away from those churches. I'm not saying everyone should do this but If I can hear a pin drop during worship that's not good.

3. Too much focus on doctrinal issues and not enough focus on helping others.

4. The pastor politicizes his sermons. I hate that.

5. Superficial congregations that do not want to get to know newer members.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That the preacher is preaching Christ crucified and resurected for our justification. Usually, if they do that, all the things in Knights list are minimalized. And to intertwine it with STP's, when they are fixated on the Red Letters, they are usualy guilty of the things in Knights list. And I note they are not very good at keeping and observing all that the Pharisee says to keep and observe. "Oh, but we can divorce, we are under grace". I would like to kick him up the middle.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Other red flags....

- Pastor is a robot.
- No doughnuts for snacking
- Church has 10,000 members and eight different services
- Youth group is outside smoking cigarettes
- Church is more interested in hungry children in Africa than they are interested in kids being murdered in their own community

Seydlitz77

2. If no one raise their hands (or even dance) before God in worship or are afraid to be expressive I stay away from those churches. I'm not saying everyone should do this but If I can hear a pin drop during worship that's not good.

It's amazing how we're all different if I can hear a pin drop during the worship service I think that's perfect and shows proper reverence before God. Mind you I want to hear people discussing and asking questions during the Sunday school portion.

The Berean

It's amazing how we're all different if I can hear a pin drop during the worship service I think that's perfect and shows proper reverence before God. Mind you I want to hear people discussing and asking questions during the Sunday school portion.

I guess we all worship God in our own way. :D

elohiym

- Church is more interested in hungry children in Africa than they are interested in kids being murdered in their own community

Great one.

The first church where I was a member trained missionaries to go over seas, and I kept pointing out that we seem to need missionaries in the U.S., too.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The marks of a good church are:

The preaching of the one, true Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Reverent handling of the Holy Scriptures and observance of the Sacraments.

An Eldership that applies biblical disciplines.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What things should you look for when picking a good church?

When looking for a church home, I first seek a church that knows what it stands for and practices it. This means the church must have a confessional basis for (1)the promotion of unity among the members, (2)education of the doctrines from Scripture, and (3)discipline. To me this also means they must not just give lip-service to their confessional basis, but stands by it.

Secondly, since I prefer expository preaching, I look for a church whose Pastor preaches that way primarily.

Lastly, I expect the worship services to be conducted with due reverence towards God. I don't attend church with the idea of being fed, entertained, etc. Instead I believe are called to church to worship a most holy God. Sadly, for some churches "worship" means putting on a show. This view eliminates among my choices of church those that engage in happy-clappy style services that seem so prevalent in many around my home. One wonders if these churches ever understood "let's have a show!" lesson of 1 Kings 18 or why Nadab and Abihu were consumed (Leviticus 10).

Again, for me, worship is the key, as many churches do not come together for worship of God. I don’t go to church to (1)evangelize, (2)to provide a comfortable “consumer-friendly” setting for the un-churched, (3)to primarily fellowship with other Christians, or (4)for lectures and devotionals—I go to church to worship God (Deuteronomy 12:29-32) in a way that is God-centered, Biblical, spiritual, weighty, and reverent. As the author of Hebrews urged us, worship of God must be conducted with reverence and awe (Hebrews 12:28-29).

Joining a church is a serious decision for me as it is a sign that I am entering into a covenant with that particular church. By doing that, I am pledging my loyalty to the church, that I will cooperate with its leadership, and that I will honor it with my prayers (Ephesians 1:1, 16; 1 Thessalonians 5:25; Philemon 22,), attendance (Hebrews 10:25), service (1 Corinthians. 12:4-27;1 Corinthians 1:2; Ephesians 4:7; 11-12; 16; 1 Peter. 4:10-11), and financial support (Malachi. 3:8-10; Matthew 6:21; 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2; Hebrews 7:8).

Moreover, breaking one's covenant with a church is not to be done lightly (Romans 1:31-32). Only when a church begins to depart from the Scriptural doctrines embodied in its confessional basis, would I consider moving. And then only after much prayer and discussions with the church leadership. The Lord never leads a person to simply stop attending church (Hebrews 10:25). Nevertheless, we are admonished not to join or fellowship with certain types of people and groups (1 Timothy 6:3-5; 2 Thessalonians 3:6; 2 Timothy 3:5). Additionally, being part of an unhealthy church means giving your time and resources in support of that church’s sins, and therefore, becoming a partaker of them (2 John 9-11).

AMR

elohiym

...and financial support (Malachi. 3:8-10; Matthew 6:21; 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2; Hebrews 7:8).

You are misusing those scriptures to justify an obligation to tithe. It appears that you do not understand the purpose of the tithe under the old covenant. See Deut 14:23.

Is that what the reformed movement teaches, what you have represented above regarding tithing? If so, one more reason why I will avoid the reformed church like the plague.

I'll add, that I do not oppose one supporting financially the fellowship one attends; I simply oppose the misuse of the old covenant tithe in order to guilt church members into contributing 10% of their wealth.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are misusing those scriptures to justify an obligation to tithe. It appears that you do not understand the purpose of the tithe under the old covenant. See Deut 14:23.

Is that what the reformed movement teaches, what you have represented above regarding tithing? If so, one more reason why I will avoid the reformed church like the plague.

I'll add, that I do not oppose one supporting financially the fellowship one attends; I simply oppose the misuse of the old covenant tithe in order to guilt church members into contributing 10% of their wealth.
A topic for another thread, no? :squint:

No one said anything about mandatory tithes, so the assertion of their misuse is unwarranted. It is really quite simple, as we read in James 1:27, my money is for helping those in need, including necessarily, the helping of those that help those in need, in the spirit of grace, mercy, compassion and kindness. The Reformed do not hold that the OT tithe is for today. We give according to 2 Cor 9:7.

AMR

elohiym

A topic for another thread, no? :squint:

No. What I would look for in a church is one that does not misuse scriptures to misrepresent tithing, as you have apparently done. And that is why I suggested if the reformed church teaches what you have shared on the matter, it's a red flag for me.

No one said anything about mandatory tithes, so the assertion of their misuse is unwarranted.

Now you are being intellectually dishonest. You cited Malachi 3:8-10 to imply that it would be sin to withhold tithe (according to your flawed interpretation of tithe). Seventh-day Adventists use the same verse to make the same point. If that was not your point, then you had no reason to cite that verse.

It is really quite simple, as we read in James 1:27, my money is for helping those in need, including necessarily, the helping of those that help those in need, in the spirit of grace, mercy, compassion and kindness.

I don't dispute that. As I said, I even support the giving to support one's church fellowship. But that is not what the tithe is. The tithe has a specific meaning, and it was used a specific way, and it revolved around a specific holy day.

The Reformed do not hold that the OT tithe is for today. We give according to 2 Cor 9:7.

Then omit Malachi 3:8-10 next time you talk about giving money to the church.

ghost

Hall of Fame
AMR is going to need a long break after using such a huge amount of his own words.

Nydhogg

I won't attend Heathen congregations that are sectarian, racist, cult-like, or which mix Heathenry with other weird stuff.

Aside from that, as long as they are Trú Heathens, I typically attend rites presided by the most knowledgeable priest in the area. Lore won't hurt.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then omit Malachi 3:8-10 next time you talk about giving money to the church.
Er, no.

I don't ignore the whole counsel of God's word, and how that which in the Old Testament was further revealed in the New Testament. The rituals of the OT are foreshadows of that which was to come, so citing such verses serves to highlight the old covenant's beggardly elements (Galatians 4:9) is directly on point to showcase the underlying principles of the law of the tithe in the OT, from which we may learn about our duties today. It's all about the letter of the Law versus the Spirit of the Law. One kills, the other gives life. Think about it and it may come to you.

Feel free to ignore the whole counsel of God if you prefer, but don't impose the limitation on me.

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.