toldailytopic: What sport requires the most skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Basketball in a landslide

Dwight Howard is 7’-0”, weights 275 pounds, can bench press 345 pounds, runs a 4.8 40, and has a 40 inch vertical jump.

No athletes in any other sport come close to having these numbers.

I'm not sure I'd put that under the "skill" category though.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A good pick. In terms of strength-to-weight ratio female gymnasts are probably the strongest athletes in the sporting world.

You should have seen my sister play volleyball in college. The football players who went to watch the game were even scared. Tough girls! :)

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The stare-at-your-sibling-to-see-who-can-go-the-longest-without-laughing-or-smiling "sport" that I played as a child was also very challenging.

Arthur Brain

The stare-at-your-sibling-to-see-who-can-go-the-longest-without-laughing-or-smiling "sport" that I played as a child was also very challenging.

I'm afraid I'd win that rather easily. During the time where I decided to grow a beard my beloved sister got out the car and burst into hysterics in the middle of the street upon first sight. Needless to say the razors came out shortly afterwards......

:plain:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm afraid I'd win that rather easily. During the time where I decided to grow a beard my beloved sister got out the car and burst into hysterics in the middle of the street upon first sight. Needless to say the razors came out shortly afterwards......

:plain:

Ah, yes. Beards are tricky characters.

fool

Hall of Fame
That one sport where they ride their bikes around in a big pit with ramps and stuff and they fly off the ramps and while they and the bike are flying thru the air they get off the bike and check the tires and cook an omlette or whatever and then they get back on the bike just before it lands and ride away like that's all just perfectly normal.
Who comes up with that stuff?

The Berean

That one sport where they ride their bikes around in a big pit with ramps and stuff and they fly off the ramps and while they and the bike are flying thru the air they get off the bike and check the tires and cook an omlette or whatever and then they get back on the bike just before it lands and ride away like that's all just perfectly normal.

Those guys are INSANE! That takes tremendous body control.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Man, another one I didn't think to say. Most X-games stuff takes a lot of skill. It's amazing what those guys do.

fool

Hall of Fame
Man, another one I didn't think to say. Most X-games stuff takes a lot of skill. It's amazing what those guys do.

Is it a big suprise that the guy that can cook an omlette while he flies his bike thru the air can also do a backflip on a pogostick?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
If you rounded up every dancer that ever lived, and trained them as long as you wanted to, not one of them would ever be able to do this:

Dwight Howard

I wouldn't be too sure of this claim . . . trouble is, dancers are interested in more than elevation and hoops!

Basketball is up and down (usually poorly down).

Classical ballet is also up and down (which includes gaining the maximum in bodily propulsion upwards, as well as controlled and hazard-proof landings), but it is also training in intricate footwork and musicality/ timing; total body stretch and control, and development of choreographic memorization of not only one's assigned body actions and steps, but memorization of every other accompanying dancer's role who happens to share the same stage at the same time . . . matching and corresponding long passages of music plus intricate timing and awareness of group interaction with many other persons.

The successful achievement and performance of corp de ballet is extremely difficult. Far more complex than a dumb basketball game . . . ;)

Nang

nicholsmom

A good pick. In terms of strength-to-weight ratio female gymnasts are probably the strongest athletes in the sporting world.

Not even possible. I compete in power lifting, which is a sport where strength-to-weight ratio is king. The women can't get even close to the men in that :nono:

Don't misunderstand - women athletes are far stronger than most non-athletic men (I actually squat and dead lift more than lots of the men who work out with me), but when men train to compete they outdo women every time - all other things being equal (skill, talent). It's just the way we're made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.