toldailytopic: What sport requires the most skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

The Decathlon takes the most breath of skills to be good at it. Plus it takes tremendous amount of athletic ability. It's not a coincidence that the Olympic decathlon champion is referred to the "World's Greatest Athlete".

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
football

primarily because it is the only team sport

each position requires different skills
and
almost every player must be able to read defensive and offensive formations
and
understand what to expect from them

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Dance.

Certainly NOT power lifting. I mean, if I can do it, it doesn't require skill :eek: Don't get me wrong - technique is everything if you want to avoid injury, but skill? No motor planning required - get the move right and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Wow....I never realized how much Golf and Powerlifting have in common. :plain:

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Indeed!

Specifically, classical ballet.

When I was still teaching, I had the Stanford Basketball couch bring his entire team in for classes. And they liked it, because they learned how difficult it is and they enjoyed the challenge.

Ballet is a requirement for Figure Skaters in serious training.

Nang

firon

Regardless of which sport you are engaged in...

Regardless of which sport you are engaged in...

Every sport has its individual precision to the point that the sport you are engaged in at the moment has its required skill, and those sports are so different in those skills that they cannot really be compared with one another. Think of it in a different sense: which sports require the greatest diligence to reach professional level? How many hours are required to reach professional level standards?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think ice hockey requires the most skill. The stick and the puck handling is a skill that takes years to become good at and then add the skating and you have a very difficult sport to play.

I agree.

What sport requires the most skill? Others...

Midget race cars, those small high powered race cars that are a handful drive.

Automobile racing on a half mile dirt track.

The Berean

Another highly skill sport is pole vaulting. IT is said to be a great pole vaulter one needs the speed of a sprinter, the strength of a power lifter, the agility of a gymnast, and the body control of a a ballerina.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Basketball in a landslide

Dwight Howard is 7’-0”, weights 275 pounds, can bench press 345 pounds, runs a 4.8 40, and has a 40 inch vertical jump.

No athletes in any other sport come close to having these numbers.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Competitive shooting.

What's that sport called where a bunch of guys go cross country skiing, and then stop and shoot at a target, and then go skiing again?

That looks like it would require more skill (and endurance) than just shooting without the skiing part.

Selaphiel

What's that sport called where a bunch of guys go cross country skiing, and then stop and shoot at a target, and then go skiing again?

That looks like it would require more skill (and endurance) than just shooting without the skiing part.

Biathlon (Norwegian drive-by), one of the few sports my country excel at :p

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Ah, yes! That's a good one. I wasn't as all-encompasing with my words as I should have been. By "competitive shooting" I was including all kinds of competitive shooting, be it on skiis, the backs of elephants, or any other way.

nicholsmom

Basketball in a landslide

Dwight Howard is 7’-0”, weights 275 pounds, can bench press 345 pounds, runs a 4.8 40, and has a 40 inch vertical jump.

No athletes in any other sport come close to having these numbers.

Sure, but how many turns can they get on their pirouette? How many times do they need to go through a dance combination before they can duplicate it? Can they do a shoulder stand or a fish flop? How's their turn-out and how long can they balance en passe releve? I wonder if they'd even make it through a decent dance class :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.