toldailytopic: What sport requires the most skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 6th, 2010 10:13 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Quincy

Some say football because of the mental prep alongside the physicality but I think it's hockey. It's hard enough to skate let alone do all the stuff they have to do on skates. Then you have to worry about a 250 lb man checking through a wall and then punching your face in if you complain. Crosby and Ovechkin are freaks.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned

Mocking atheists. Yes, it is a "sport", (I suppose it could be considered an "art"). In any event, it takes years of practice to excel at it.

Being an ex college basketball jock (note the word "jockette" wasn't used Fido), I would say basketball; yet a million jump shots later I only have achy joints to show for it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Being an ex college basketball jock (note the word "jockette" wasn't used Fido), I would say basketball; yet a million jump shots later I only have achy joints to show for it.[/QUOTE]

So you lied before when you said you were a woman. Oookay then.

I'd say either rugby, football, or soccer.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Mocking atheists. Yes, it is a "sport", (I suppose it could be considered an "art"). In any event, it takes years of practice to excel at it.

Being an ex college basketball jock (note the word "jockette" wasn't used Fido), I would say basketball; yet a million jump shots later I only have achy joints to show for it.
If you think mocking atheists is a sport then your heart is in the wrong place.

ragTagblues

Formula 1 racing . . . .

The fact that the car needs to get to a certain speed in order for the tyres, brakes and aerodynamics to work effectively is mind blowing. . . .

Also the average F1 car requires something near 2000psi in order for the break to operate . . . this pressure is created by the drivers foot. Mind blowing.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Formula 1 racing . . . .

The fact that the car needs to get to a certain speed in order for the tyres, brakes and aerodynamics to work effectively is mind blowing. . . .

Also the average F1 car requires something near 2000psi in order for the break to operate . . . this pressure is created by the drivers foot. Mind blowing.
Dude - you're a rugby player! :nono:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think ice hockey requires the most skill. The stick and the puck handling is a skill that takes years to become good at and then add the skating and you have a very difficult sport to play.

nicholsmom

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 6th, 2010 10:13 AM

Dance.

Certainly NOT power lifting. I mean, if I can do it, it doesn't require skill :eek: Don't get me wrong - technique is everything if you want to avoid injury, but skill? No motor planning required - get the move right and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What sport requires the most skill?

It depends on whether you're talking about being competent or being great.

Baseball. Easy to learn, impossible to master. The greatest hitters are sub 500.

Buzzword

Mixed
Martial
Arts.

No competition, IMO.
Mastery of at least defensive tactics in boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, judo, wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, etc. is VITAL to even be a competent fighter because your opponent can attack with any of them.

Then we get into the offensive part, where mastery of all of the above is necessary to remain unpredictable and avoid stagnation (and through it defeat).

Both defense and offense with the understanding that EACH of the above disciplines may require YEARS to gain mastery.

Of course, the greatest fighters are the ones who have competency in EVERYTHING, yet are truly elite in one or two areas and use those the most....while staying broadly dangerous in the minds of their opponents because they are KNOWN to possess skills in all areas.

SaulToPaul 2

What sport requires the most skill?

It depends on whether you're talking about being competent or being great.

Baseball. Easy to learn, impossible to master. The greatest hitters are sub 500.

Yes, round ball, round bat, but you have to hit it square.

Status
Not open for further replies.