toldailytopic: What is the greatest city in the world and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like Boise quite a bit. It's not that big but it is the cultural and economic hub of the region, so it has a lot of stuff you generally only find in a bigger city. It doesn't rain or snow that much in the valley, but the snow is close enough to drive to when you head up into the mountains.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
You hang out in the Village, am I right? :smokie: Payday someday (1 Cor 6:9). :vomit:
I haven't been to NYC in years. As usual you are wrong. These are not the droids you are looking for.

That fits (Deut 22:5, Mt 19:4). :shocked:

How does that fit?

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only though permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!

+++ Paulian Blantar, Iron Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter +++

Look! I can quote fiction too!

El DLo

I'm a New Yorker, so logically I'd go with New York, but honestly I'd probably have to go with Chicago. Everyone's friendly, it's clean, just a really nice city all around.

bybee

I'm a New Yorker, so logically I'd go with New York, but honestly I'd probably have to go with Chicago. Everyone's friendly, it's clean, just a really nice city all around.

I love Chicago too! Great downtown, great opera and museums and especially great architecture!
Did I mention a splendid array of ethnic eating establishments.

BarefootTalmid

Somewhere in Colorado or Oregon. I love the outdoors and physical activity. Parks, trails, and pedestrian accessibility are all high on the list for me.

Maybe Colorado Springs, CO or Eugene, OR - both top 10 in the US for pedestrian friendliness. I really like the idea of Ashland because of the small town feel and the fact that it is a mecca for ultra trail marathoners.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I've been to Huston - seemed kind of like a dump to me. Of course, there is a whole lot more of Texas I haven't seen.

Its against my Texanness to agree with you on that one. I will say, however that Houston is my least favorite city to be. The family and I just lived in Baytown(east of Houston) for a year:hammer:. As a matter of fact, if I had to choose between the Dallas dump and Houston as my home, I'd go with the Dallas dump.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In that vein...New York for culture, Chicago (except in the winter) for overall quality of life...Pittsburgh isn't bad either. San Francisco if you want ease and beauty and climate. If you can stomach heat and humidity, there are a few places in the South to call home. If not, keep moving.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
toldailytopic: What is the greatest city in the world and why?

Virginia City, Nevada (circa 1876)

"I have just heard five pistol shots down the street.... The pistol did its work well...two of my friends were shot. Both died within three minutes." - Mark Twain describing Virginia City to his mother in a letter.

In its heyday, Virginia City was considered the most important settlement between Denver, Colorado and San Francisco, California.

It had all the makings of a great Wild West town.

Ride your tired horse slowly down the dusty streets and you are sure to find...

Cantankerous prospectors seeking their fortune in silver. :hammer:

Upbeat piano tunes drifting out of saloons full of rowdy cowboys playing cards and eyeing the "ladies of questionable employment" who keep watch with a smile and a wink. :upright:

A proud sheriff with a thick handlebar mustache who is bound and determined to clean up his wholesome town and "send all the riffraff a packin'." :BillyBob:

A young boy in suspenders trying to convince a girl in pigtails to trade him two sticks of licorice and a kiss for an orange and blue (chipped!) "cat's-eye" aggie. :straight:

A school marm with a wicked gleam in her eye and a (greatly feared) hickory stick tucked under one arm, incessantly ringing a brass bell for children who will not respond for at least another 10 minutes. :sibbie:

A stalwart and deeply pious preacher reading the Good Book in an empty church. :poly:

A bar fight turned shootout that leaves three cowpokes dead (and ignored) in a puddle of mud. :AoO:

A passel of tired and hungry homesteaders walking beside a wagon full of bored children pulled along by a contumacious donkey. :dead:

Two horsethieves hanging by their necks and swinging slowly back and forth, back and forth. :Letsargu:

A scrawny coyote sniffing around behind the hotel, hoping to find a chicken bone tossed out the previous evening. :dog:

Did you blink? You probably missed the town. Turn your horse back around and go back. This is a snapshot of American history that has faded into long-forgotten memory.

The silver was fully mined by 1898, and the town began to loose residents. By 1930, there were only 500 people left.

"Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago."

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Its against my Texanness to agree with you on that one. I will say, however that Houston is my least favorite city to be. The family and I just lived in Baytown(east of Houston) for a year:hammer:. As a matter of fact, if I had to choose between the Dallas dump and Houston as my home, I'd go with the Dallas dump.

Did you shoot J. R. Ewing? :shocked:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I have met so many folks from Chicago who tell me that it is the greatest city on earth. They go on and on about all the wonderful things to see and do.

And yet, they don't live there.

If it is such a great place, why did they all move away? I find that so curious.

I liked the city myself when I visited some years ago.

Nydhogg

When I get back to the States, I'm moving to Alaska.

On the two issues I care about (privacy rights and gun rights) Alaska is way above average.

Dena

I haven't been around enough to choose the best city in the world. I am however partial to Miami. I know many people do not like it at all. Crime being one reason and the other being the temperatures. It is hot, sunny and humid...which I love. It also gets points for culture and proximity to the beach.

As for small towns, I really loved the Moab, UT area. It's absolutely beautiful and it's quiet (during the slow season anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.