toldailytopic: What is the greatest city in the world and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm interested in your opinion....

What's the greatest BIG city in the world?

And....

What's the greatest small city in the world? (maybe somewhat under the radar)

Big city, I voted for Denver, Colorado; and I will always say Denver, Colorado. Some day we hope to move back, we lived there from 1952-2003.

Small city, Colorado Springs, Colorado. However I doubt the radar thing.

If I may, small town 2, Springfield, Colorado or Cridersville, Ohio.

Calypso

Big City: NYC and Washington

Smaller City: New Orleans (I love/hate relationship with the place, but it definitely has a culture and character of its very own...and the cuisine is unmatched)
Yes ... I agree!!

I simply "love" both ~

Selaphiel

Big City: NYC and Washington

Smaller City: New Orleans (I love/hate relationship with the place, but it definitely has a culture and character of its very own...and the cuisine is unmatched)

Sadly I have never been to the United states, hopefully that will change.

New York sounds fantastic, my brother was just there and he really praised the city.

I also want to go to New Orleans, mostly because I'm a fairly big fan of jazz.

As for the greatest city I've been too, I would have to say Paris or Copenhagen.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Big city: NYC - If I have to explain, you will never understand.

Smaller city: Amityville - If anything because I was born there.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I haven't been to too many places, and only outside the US once. Actually, that's the only time I've been outside the main 48.

Buzzword

Meh.
I'm still a small-town guy at heart, even after living in OKC for the past seven years.
I still have to get away from the city every now and then, if only to escape to a less-concentrated population of stupid people (they're everywhere...)

Of the American cities I've visited, I enjoyed Philadelphia the most, mainly because I'm a history buff AND because Philly's the only big city I've ever been to where I never felt cramped walking on the sidewalk.

Outside the U.S. I've only ever been to Mexico, but Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiapas blew my mind with the level of cultural density, especially since I'd only been to border towns prior to going.
Plus I stayed with a family that loooves fried chicken! :D

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[London]...lots and lots to do.
River boat on Thames (second that)

Walk over Westminster Bridge to get an excellent view of the Houses of Parliament (second that)

Crown Jewels at Tower Bridge

Walk in Green Park (bring nuts for the squirrels)/Hyde Park Serpentine River

St. Paul's Cathedral/Whisper Room

Trafalgar Square/National Gallery

Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace

Harrods (see the Egyptian room)

Virgin record store, Piccadilly Circus

Punch and Judy's

The Jack-the-Ripper Walking tour

Take in a show

Windsor Castle (take a peek at Traitor's Gate [no relation to the thread :shocked:)

Bring your own ketchup. Don't insult the queen.

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Toronto, Ontario...the population is very rude
Only if you beat them in hockey. :sharri: Gozilla here at TOL just played in a tournament there, eh. Tempers flared and one of his teammates, a Canadian who happens to live here, was called a :squint: "yank". :mmph:

...feather problem.

Alate_One

Only if you beat them in hockey. :sharri: Gozilla here at TOL just played in a tournament there, eh. Tempers flared and one of his teammates, a Canadian who happens to live here, was called a :squint: "yank". :mmph:

Most Americans aren't aware that Canadians don't have a great love for them. I'm speaking from personal experience on the subway and in a winners, a certain subset of the population will just shove you out of the way. Although quite a few people did offer me a seat on the subway (We had our 5 month old son with us).

I really think all Americans should go see Toronto. Most of us have absolutely no clue what an amazing city there is a mere 1.5 hour drive from Buffalo, NY (3 hours from Detroit). Get yourselves some poutine!

poutine.jpg

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
BIG: Austin, TEXAS. Because its in Texas, and its got tons of fun stuff, historical stuff, my tattoo shop + its the capitol of Texas.

SMALL: Graham, Texas. Because its a little town 15 minutes from my favorite place in the world. Possum Kingdom Lake. Yes, the one from the Toadies song. Been going there since Sept' of 1981, and my folks have been on that lake since the 50's.

Non-American:...... Don't think I can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.