toldailytopic: What do you suppose God thinks of the Catholic Church?

bucksplasher

"Every verse of the Bible means exactly what the author intended it to mean..." Full text: How to Interpret the Bible by Darrell Ferguson

See:

Hermeneutics

Be loyal to the Lord (Jn 1:1) :poly: not plans and programs (Mt 15:9). :eek:linger:

[The Loyalty of Religion Pro-Gospel Ministries] "Religion stirs up a passionate loyalty to its rulers instead of to the Lord Jesus Christ. Who can forget the images of Pope John Paul II's funeral? Thousands of misguided Catholics stood in long lines for up to 18 hours to venerate a dead man with an unbiblical rosary in his hands and a twisted crucifix by his side. What a sharp contrast to those who have an everlasting relationship with the only Holy Father. They refuse to listen to the voice of robbers who are out to steal and destroy their souls. They flee from them and instead follow the voice of the Good Shepherd who gave His life for His sheep and calls them by name (John 10:3-11). They come to Him for eternal life mourning over the sins that nailed Him to the cross. They recognize their unworthiness to be in His presence, yet they rejoice in the hope they have in His Word (Psalm 130:5). Christ and His Word are so connected that one cannot have a relationship with Him apart from His Word (John 8:47).

Those who desire to have a relationship with the true God must seek Him from the only infallible source for truth. All religious teachings, including teachings in this article, must be tested for veracity by searching the Scriptures (Acts 17:11). Those who cling to religious teachings while rejecting God's Word will be condemned on the last day by the very Word they rejected (John 12:48). Conversely, those who believe the Scriptures have been born again through the incorruptible seed which is the Word of God (1 Pet. 1:23). As children of God, it is their ambition to be pleasing to the one who set them free from the bondage of religion (2 Cor. 5:9-10).

...[W]e must take the same approach Jesus did by refuting religious error and opposing those who spread it. Religion can never save anyone, in fact it cuts them off from God and the saving power of the Gospel (Rom. 1:16; 4:2-8). Let us exhort those who are enslaved to their worthless and empty religions to become privileged slaves of the Lord Jesus Christ." Full text: The Loyalty of Religion

Maybe the "misled" standing in line saw a "light" shining on a hill and came to thank God for such an example. I watched on TV and was inspired to remain true to Christ even though my body grow useless.

You and I will die and our funerals sparsely attended but I rejoice to see Saints on earth.

tWINs

IXOYE

The Pope cannot save anyone. :eek:linger: Ga 5:9

[The Deception of Religion by Mike Gendron] "When you ask most religious people what they are trusting to gain entrance into heaven, they rarely mention the name of Jesus. That's because their religion is ultimately the object of their faith. They trust their self righteous clergy and their religious works and rituals to keep them heaven bound. Tragically, they cannot see the glory and sufficiency of Christ Jesus. They have been blinded from the truth of the Gospel by religious indoctrination, a most effective tool of Satan (2 Cor. 4:4). His primary goal is to confuse people by corrupting and mangling truth as much as possible. Many victims of religious indoctrination are content to blindly trust their unregenerate spiritual rulers, who are willfully ignorant of biblical doctrine and are more interested in holding onto their power than seeking the truth. We have found that indoctrination is so powerful that many Catholics refuse to engage in conversations about spiritual issues with non-Catholics. I recall, as a young indoctrinated Catholic, how "lucky" and proud I was to be born into what I was told to be the one true church. I felt sorry for Protestants who were not as "lucky" as I was. So blinded by Catholic traditions, I did not realize my zeal was misdirected. I was honoring God with my lips, but I was submitting to another Lord - a pope." Full text: The Deception of Religion by Mike Gendron

Their claim isn't that the pope saves. :|

Do you want taters or carrots with your red herring.

IXOYE

That's not true.

Every mature believer is a priest.

Baby believers aren't priests.

You are so far from priest if we spotted yoiu the P-r-i-e-and s you still couldn't get there.

You are :sheep: that follow the teachings of bigotted men, who tell you the catholics are hell bound for listening to the Pople. heheheheheh

Every believer is a priest. :dizzy:

See:

Is the priesthood of all believers biblical? Does the New Testament teach that there should be a formal priesthood?

"Truth is the antidote for willful ignorance, but if ignorance remains after truth is revealed, it is no longer ignorance but stubborn pride that continues to reject the truth.

The greatest obstacle to learning the truth is to think you already know it all.

Failure to embrace and defend truth will always lead to deception. We who have been entrusted with the truth can never let a lie of the devil go unabated." Full text: Exchanging Religion for an Eternal Relationship with God

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).] "Right back at you, friend."
There are not two gospels. :dizzy: There is one gospel. It is one of grace (Ac 20:24, Ga 1:8).

We have fellowship with likeminded believers (Psa. 55:14; Psa. 119:63; Amos 3:3; Mal. 3:16; Matt. 17:4; Matt. 20:25–28; Matt. 23:8; Mark 10:42–45; Luke 22:32; Luke 24:13–15; John 13:34; John 15:12; John 17:11, 21–23; Acts 1:14; Acts 2:1, 42, 44–47; Acts 17:4; Acts 20:35; Rom. 1:12; Rom. 14:1–4, 10, 13–16, 18–21; Rom. 15:1–7; 1 Cor. 1:10; 1 Cor. 10:16, 17; 1 Cor. 12:13; 1 Cor. 16:19, 20; Gal. 2:9; Gal. 6:2, 10; Eph. 2:14–22; Eph. 5:2, 19, 30; Phil. 1:3, 5, 27; Phil. 2:1, 2; Col. 2:2; Col. 3:16; 1 Thess. 4:18; 1 Thess. 5:11, 14; Heb. 3:13; Heb. 10:24, 25; Heb. 13:1; Jas. 5:16; 1 Pet. 2:17; 1 Pet. 3:8, 9; 1 John 1:3, 7; 1 John 3:14; 1 John 4:7, 8, 11–13).

We do not have fellowship with the wicked (1 Kin. 13:7–10, Neh. 6:2–4; 10:29–31, Psa. 101:4–7; 119:115, Jer. 15:17, Luke 23:51, Rev. 2:6).

Last edited:

Cruciform

There are not two gospels. :dizzy: There is one gospel. It is one of grace (Ac 20:24, Ga 1:8).

We have fellowship with likeminded believers (Psa. 55:14; Psa. 119:63; Amos 3:3; Mal. 3:16; Matt. 17:4; Matt. 20:25–28; Matt. 23:8; Mark 10:42–45; Luke 22:32; Luke 24:13–15; John 13:34; John 15:12; John 17:11, 21–23; Acts 1:14; Acts 2:1, 42, 44–47; Acts 17:4; Acts 20:35; Rom. 1:12; Rom. 14:1–4, 10, 13–16, 18–21; Rom. 15:1–7; 1 Cor. 1:10; 1 Cor. 10:16, 17; 1 Cor. 12:13; 1 Cor. 16:19, 20; Gal. 2:9; Gal. 6:2, 10; Eph. 2:14–22; Eph. 5:2, 19, 30; Phil. 1:3, 5, 27; Phil. 2:1, 2; Col. 2:2; Col. 3:16; 1 Thess. 4:18; 1 Thess. 5:11, 14; Heb. 3:13; Heb. 10:24, 25; Heb. 13:1; Jas. 5:16; 1 Pet. 2:17; 1 Pet. 3:8, 9; 1 John 1:3, 7; 1 John 3:14; 1 John 4:7, 8, 11–13).

We do not have fellowship with the wicked (1 Kin. 13:7–10, Neh. 6:2–4; 10:29–31, Psa. 101:4–7; 119:115, Jer. 15:17, Luke 23:51, Rev. 2:6).
Likewise. :yawn:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[There is no "likewise" with the unregenerate (1 Pe 3:8, Eph 5:11).] "You can go ahead and apply that to yourself."
Your gospel is a lie (Ga 1:6-8, 1 John 1:6).

:eek:linger: Man's religion is an attempt to reach heaven (Mt 15:9). :eek: God's grace has reached down to man (Jn 3:16). :poly: Trust in Christ (Isa 63:9; Eph 5:23) and Christ alone (Isa 45:21,22; 59:16; Ac 4:12). Works and grace are mutually exclusive (Eph 2:8-10).

When you die, they will lay a white cloth over your casket and tell everyone what a nice person you were. :eek: The priest will assure everyone that because you trusted in the Roman Catholic religion and were baptized, you will go to heaven. :D

:listen: In reality, the cloth is for show and the priest's water is just water. You have no righteousness of your own. You must be clothed in Christ's righteousness (2 Chr. 6:41; Isa. 61:10; Rev. 6:11; 7:9, 13). Do you plan to meet your maker without a proper wedding garment? Matt. 22:11 :burnlib:

All of your works are filthy rags (Isa 64:6). Your incense stinks to high heaven (Ex 30:38, Jer 1:16, Ezek. 8:11-12, Num. 16:1-35, 40; 2 Chron. 26:16-21). :granite: No priest cannot usher you into heaven. Your pride is offensive to a holy God.

See:

No Mediator

[Religious Pride] "Satan does a masterful job of using man's religions to conceal God's glorious Gospel of grace. He and his servants deceive the unwary through false religious systems including counterfeit forms of Christianity. To be deceived by counterfeit money is a painful experience but only a temporal problem. To be deceived by a counterfeit faith is an eternal tragedy that will result in the most horrifying existence that man could ever experience.

Religious pride usually takes the form of spiritual arrogance or a fierce, unbending loyalty to an institution. Many Roman Catholics refuse to engage in spiritual conversations with non-Catholics because they are so proud of their religion. They have been indoctrinated into believing they belong to the "one true church." They are convinced that their church is their best hope for making it to heaven. To be deceived about one's relationship with God is the most dangerous and perilous delusion. Those who die in such a state have no recourse and no second chance..." Full text: The Consequences of Religious and Personal Pride

"...[T]he Catholic Church does not teach "salvation by works.""
"Catholic teaching: The sacraments are necessary for salvation. Catholic teachings state that the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Communion, Penance, Matrimony and the Anointing the Sick are needed to go to heaven.

Catholic teaching: Doing good deeds throughout your life will save you from hell.

Bible: Salvation is a gift of grace from God. Being good, doing good works, or fulfilling the sacraments will not save you from eternity in hell. Only by faith will you be saved. Follow the Bible which is God's Word and not the teachings of man. Good works come after you are saved as a showing of Christ's love in us..." Full text: Works vs Faith

bucksplasher

We heard the parable of the wise virgins today.

To refresh your memory there were 5 wise with oil and 5 not-so-wise with little oil. When the time came that lamps needed to be used the not-so-wise were off buying more and ended up locked out of the banquet.

The moral seems to be that we should be ready when Christ returns.

The "oil" seems to be more readily available to some and not others.

In your interpretation can oil be lost and people prevented from entering Heaven because of their lack of foresight?

What is the "oil" in your understanding?

tWINs

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"We heard the parable of the wise virgins today.

To refresh your memory there were 5 wise with oil and 5 not-so-wise with little oil. When the time came that lamps needed to be used the not-so-wise were off buying more and ended up locked out of the banquet.

The moral seems to be that we should be ready when Christ returns.

The "oil" seems to be more readily available to some and not others..."
:patrol: Elite alert (Ingraham).

See:

Does God Elect Everyone?

"In your interpretation..."
"Every verse of the Bible means exactly what the author intended it to mean..." Full text: How to Interpret the Bible by Darrell Ferguson

See:

Hermeneutics

:listen: The proper question is: What hermeneutic do you use.

"...[C]an oil be lost..."
I believe in the eternal security of the believer (John 5:24) but fine people disagree on this issue.

See:

Once Saved Always Saved

"...What is the "oil" in your understanding?"
The Holy Spirit.

See:

The Parable of the Ten Virgins J. Vernon McGee

bucksplasher

"It is my understanding that, although the marriage of Christ and the church takes place in heaven, the marriage supper takes place on this earth".

The above quote taken from your link.

What do you think that means?

From my Church's perspective I would believe that one could see the Eucharist being described. The bridegroom gathered with His Church as both food, drink and host. One could use a small pun here but I'll refrain.

As to the "oil" being the Holy Spirit...it might break down if we see that the virgins all seemed to think you could "buy" the Spirit. Even you I'm sure would agree that that is not possible.

Might not the "oil" be the good that people do before they fall asleep at night?

tWINs

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"It is my understanding that, although the marriage of Christ and the church takes place in heaven, the marriage supper takes place on this earth".

The above quote taken from your link.

What do you think that means?
It's a celebration.

"19:7 marriage of the Lamb. Hebrew weddings consisted of 3 phases: 1) betrothal (often when the couple were children); 2) presentation (the festivities, often lasting several days, that preceded the ceremony); and 3) the ceremony (the exchanging of vows). The church was betrothed to Christ by His sovereign choice in eternity past (Eph. 1:4; Heb. 13:20) and will be presented to Him at the Rapture (John 14:1–3; 1 Thess. 4:13–18). The final supper will signify the end of the ceremony. This symbolic meal will take place at the establishment of the millennial kingdom and last throughout that 1,000 year period (cf. 21:2). While the term “bride” often refers to the church, and does so here (2 Cor. 11:2; Eph. 5:22–24), it ultimately expands to include all the redeemed of all ages, which becomes clear in the remainder of the book.

19:8 righteous acts of the saints. Not Christ’s imputed righteousness granted to believers at salvation, but the practical results of that righteousness in believers’ lives, i.e., the outward manifestation of inward virtue.

19:9 Blessed. See note on 1:3. those who are called. This is not the bride (the church) but the guests. The bride doesn’t get invited, she invites. These are those saved before Pentecost, all the faithful believers saved by grace through faith up to the birth of the church (Acts 2:1ff.). Though they are not the bride, they still are glorified and reign with Christ in the millennial kingdom. It is really differing imagery rather than differing reality. The guests also will include tribulation saints and believers alive in earthly bodies in the kingdom. The church is the bride, pure and faithful—never a harlot, like Israel was (see Hos. 2). So the church is the bride during the presentation feast in heaven, then comes to earth for the celebration of the final meal (the Millennium). After that event, the new order comes and the marriage is consummated (see notes on 21:1,2). true sayings of God. This refers to everything since 17:1. It is all true—the marriage will take place after judgment." MacArthur, John Jr: The MacArthur Study Bible. electronic ed. Nashville : Word Pub., 1997, c1997, S. Re 19:7

"From my Church's perspective I would believe that one could see the Eucharist being described..."
There is one true church (1 Cor. 3:11–15). Christ is the head of his church (Eph 1:22; 5:23). He is the foundation-stone (1Co 3:11; Eph 2:20; 1 Pe 2:4,5). The Eucharist is a false Christ (2 John 7). :dizzy: The mass is a wicked and blasphemous ceremony (Ro 10:6). :reals: We worship the living God (1 Ti 4:10) in spirit and in truth (Jn 4:24).

See:

No Sacrifice

"...[T]he virgins all seemed to think you could "buy" the Spirit..."
He purchases us (Acts 20:28).
"Might not the "oil" be the good that people do before they fall asleep at night?"
No (Ho 2:5,8). Oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit (1 John 2:20, 27). The Holy Spirit takes the things of God and makes them real to the believer (Ex. 25:6; Ex. 30:26–32; Matt. 25:3–8). To be prepared one must be born-again (John 3:5, 8; Titus 3:5).