toldailytopic: The rapture. Do you believe it will happen? If so, when and how will i

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 2nd, 2011 10:23 AM

toldailytopic: The rapture. Do you believe it will happen? If so, when and how will it happen?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

ghost

Hall of Fame
I think you should start a rapture pool.

Whoever picks the closet date and time gets a lifetime TOL membership.

:thumb:

HisServant

I believe it already happened... Revelation was about the end of Judiasm and not about the end of the physical world.

We are all going to grow old and die.. there is no get out of life free card that some would want you to believe.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
toldailytopic: The rapture. Do you believe it will happen? If so, when and how will it happen?

Yes. I believe it will happen, that GOD through Paul doesn't want us to be ignorant about it and I am to comfort my fellow believers with these words:

1Th 4:13 But we would not have you ignorant, brethren, concerning them that fall asleep[believers which die physically]; that ye sorrow not, even as the rest, who have no hope.
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also that are fallen asleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we that are alive, that are left unto the coming of the Lord, shall in no wise precede them that are fallen asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
1Th 4:17 then we that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

It will take place at some point, which we cannot know, when the LORD Himself will descend from heaven with a shout and 'catch us up'/Grk-harpazo/Latin-English transliteration-rapture.

*Edit:

Parallel verses regarding the same event:

1Co 15:51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We all shall not sleep[physically die], but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Last edited:

Buzzword

Nah. God has never once promised that we would not suffer.

I keep hearing about how the world will become a living hell after the rapture, yet so many people on TOL seem to think the world is perfectly capable of getting that way with Christians still in it.

Plus, there are new people coming to Christ almost every hour of every day somewhere on this planet.
If God is going to simply sweep us out of the way before going Old Testament on the rest of the world, who's to say He won't miss ten or a hundred or a thousand people who took a few moments longer to make a decision?

Drews

Yes, I believe in a rapture. I cannot give you any actual dates, but I can share where I think it is using the Bible.

Of course there are the famous passages such as 1 Thessalonians 4 and 1st Corinthians 15. I do not believe Matthew 24 is a reference to it :)jawdrop:

I believe in what's called a "pre-wrath" rapture, which has all three types of judgments in Revelation as being the same thing expressed different ways. At the 7th Trumpet judgment (the last trump), the kingdoms of the world became the kingdoms of Jesus and "he shall reign for ever and ever" according to Revelation 11:15. Coincidentally, in Revelation 10:7, it says "in the days" of the 7th judgment, the mystery of God should be finished. The mystery, I contend, is the same mystery mentioned in 1st Corinthians 15:51.

Of course the 6th vial (around the same time) has Jesus coming as a thief in the night (Revelation 16:15), which usually refers to a surprise by Jesus (rapture?). The enemies are being gathered to Armageddon (Revelation 16:16) (notice also that Armageddon is not fought, yet, only the armies are gathered). This same type of vision is (I believe) seen in Revelation 14:14-20. Jesus has the reaping of the "harvest" which is believers, and then He has the reaping of the enemy, killed at Armageddon ("the winepress was trodden outside the city").

Now I know you're asking, what does "pre-wrath" mean, or you could be saying, "You're dumb. Go read your Bible." I do not claim to know it all; the only thing I claim is to be fallible. However, I almost always have an opinion. So, pre-wrath means "before wrath" (that's deep :ha:), but it refers to the idea that believers will make their exit only right before Armageddon.

Some of this idea comes from Daniel 12, where there are the three time periods mentioned. There is the 1230 day mark that says that the one who waits until then is blessed (I think it's because the rapture is there). The 1260 days mark where the Anti-Christ is defeated. The thirty day difference is the time it would require for the armies at Armageddon to get there and assemble. They don't just magically show up; they need time. The 1290 day mark, just 30 days after the battle of Armageddon, is the beginning of the kingdom under the King.

That's what I believe, feel free to disagree.
PS. if you want me to explain my view of Matthew 24, just ask. If not, don't.

some other dude

harold-camping.jpg

Coffee is King

Now is a good time to ask. I'm new to being a Christian, and there are many points of it I don't fully understand. What exactly is the Rapture? I've been given conflicting opinions on it at Church. Yes I'm aware I may get conflicting views here as well, but I've noticed many on here really know their Bible.

some other dude

1Th 4:17 then we that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Now is a good time to ask. I'm new to being a Christian, and there are many points of it I don't fully understand. What exactly is the Rapture? I've been given conflicting opinions on it at Church. Yes I'm aware I may get conflicting views here as well, but I've noticed many on here really know their Bible.

The word 'rapture' comes from a transliteration of the Latin Vulgate 'rapiemur', meaning "to catch up" or "take away", which comes from the Greek word 'harpazo', which is found in:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up[harpazo] together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

I can understand people disagreeing on the time when this occurred or will occur, but I don't understand the denial that it is there in scripture.

There it is.

Coffee is King

The word 'rapture' comes from a transliteration of the Latin Vulgate 'rapiemur', meaning "to catch up" or "take away", which comes from the Greek word 'harpazo', which is found in:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up[harpazo] together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

I can understand people disagreeing on the time when this occurred or will occur, but I don't understand the denial that it is there in scripture.

There it is.

Thank you. Now, what do "post-trib" and "pre-trib" mean? People at my Church are divided on this issue.

elohiym

There it is.

What I reject is the notion that one day a bunch of people will just vanish (raptured) leaving the rest to endure a tribulation period. I don't reject the fact that we will "changed," or "caught up," or translated at the resurrection.