toldailytopic: The oil crisis. What are some ideas that might help us be less depende

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
But frankly what does evolution have to do with oil anyway?
Nothing. Your defense of evolution says a lot, though.:crackup:

Uh huh. You posted it like you had made a fool of me. Now you're backing down as you realize it was you that looked foolish.
:nono:

Oil is a nonrenewable resource, period.
:nono:

Maybe climate change will finally convince people that oil probably isn't the best energy source anyway.
Did Algore teach you that?

The way you were talking, it looked like you did. You essentially asserted that enhanced extraction equals oil replenishing itself.

Assumption, assumption... hmmm. I've heard a saying about assumption.

Just because you may participate in pumping and drilling oil doesn't mean you understand how oil fields are discovered in the first place.
But I do. Thats where reading comes in. And talking to people who find oil, and have found oil. Just because you read something on google or wiki doesn't make you an expert.

Why do so many that are anti-science take personal testimony as superior to published reports?
If you want a firsthand account, read this article Or you look at what is in textbooks. They are based on the consensus of scientists, and what is functionally done in the field. Or you can ask our semi-resident ToL geologist. Take your pick or do them all.
Hmmm... because we all know that published reports can't be falsified(ahem... oh wait... global warming?). Just like climate change and Algore, people stand to profit big time by making people think we are running out of oil. I don't know for a fact that abiotic THEORY is true. I believe it is, and have spoken with many folks how believe the same, and know much more about the earth than you and I. Continue doubting, one day one of us will be proven wrong or right, but I doubt either will be alive. :wave:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It has been common sense for hundreds of years and known by most Junior High school students that the deeper you dig the older the material

So you admit it isn't "fossil" fuel. Good.

I don't know how to tell you this, but the dirt on top of the earth is the same age as the dirt further below.

Alate_One

Nothing. Your defense of evolution says a lot, though.
I'm a scientist, I go with what the data says, not what makes me feel better.

Did Algore teach you that?
Why are you guys obsessed with Al Gore? Climate change was understood in the scientific community long before Gore came along.

Assumption, assumption... hmmm. I've heard a saying about assumption.
I am going by the information you are giving me. I can either assume you already know or assume that you don't know. I find assuming people know things is the worse of the two.

But I do. Thats where reading comes in. And talking to people who find oil, and have found oil. Just because you read something on google or wiki doesn't make you an expert.
Nope. Nor does talking to a few people either. I don't claim to be an expert on oil but I am claiming to represent the scientific consensus view.

Hmmm... because we all know that published reports can't be falsified(ahem... oh wait... global warming?).
When was climate change falsified. Oh and don't link more anti-science groups to support you.

Just like climate change and Algore, people stand to profit big time by making people think we are running out of oil.
Are you honestly so blind as to not see where the BIG money is? It's with the oil companies keeping you from believing that oil is causing a problem. Gore is NOTHING compared to Chevron, BP etc. I see dozens of commercials for oil companies every night trying to tell me how wonderful they are for the community and how much they love alternative energy.

When was the last time you saw a commercial for Gore or warning of the evils of climate change on TV?

I've never seen one. I think there were a handful of commercials attacking clean coal, but that was all I've ever seen. Why? Because the oil companies have money to spend and to spread everywhere.

It just amazes me how they've managed to get people like you to think Al Gore is some big scary force flushed with money and oil companies are poor and defenseless against their attacks. Think logically about this for a moment.

BP and Exxon are number 2 and 3 of the most profitable companies ON EARTH. And you think AL GORE has all this money to quash them? Give me a break. You can't be this stupid.

I don't know for a fact that abiotic THEORY is true. I believe it is, and have spoken with many folks how believe the same, and know much more about the earth than you and I. Continue doubting, one day one of us will be proven wrong or right, but I doubt either will be alive. :wave:
We already know enough to know that abiotic oil generation is wrong. If it were right, it would be used by people to find oil. Because you and some other people believe something is true, does not make it so.

Science is based on evidence. Gather some evidence and present it before the scientific community. find some of these friends of yours to help you. Maybe then you can find lots more oil and strike it rich. Be my guest. I'd love to see it.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I'm a scientist, I go with what the data says, not what makes me feel better.

Why are you guys obsessed with Al Gore? Climate change was understood in the scientific community long before Gore came along.

I am going by the information you are giving me. I can either assume you already know or assume that you don't know. I find assuming people know things is the worse of the two.

Nope. Nor does talking to a few people either. I don't claim to be an expert on oil but I am claiming to represent the scientific consensus view.

When was climate change falsified. Oh and don't link more anti-science groups to support you.

Are you honestly so blind as to not see where the BIG money is? It's with the oil companies keeping you from believing that oil is causing a problem. Gore is NOTHING compared to Chevron, BP etc. I see dozens of commercials for oil companies every night trying to tell me how wonderful they are for the community and how much they love alternative energy.

When was the last time you saw a commercial for Gore or warning of the evils of climate change on TV?

I've never seen one. I think there were a handful of commercials attacking clean coal, but that was all I've ever seen. Why? Because the oil companies have money to spend and to spread everywhere.

It just amazes me how they've managed to get people like you to think Al Gore is some big scary force flushed with money and oil companies are poor and defenseless against their attacks. Think logically about this for a moment.

BP and Exxon are number 2 and 3 of the most profitable companies ON EARTH. And you think AL GORE has all this money to quash them? Give me a break. You can't be this stupid.

We already know enough to know that abiotic oil generation is wrong. If it were right, it would be used by people to find oil. Because you and some other people believe something is true, does not make it so.

Science is based on evidence. Gather some evidence and present it before the scientific community. find some of these friends of yours to help you. Maybe then you can find lots more oil and strike it rich. Be my guest. I'd love to see it.

:vomit:

Are your feet getting hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.