toldailytopic: The Catholics: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
But you don't seem to know what you are and are not. :)
Allow me to clear it up for you.

I believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior and as God's Word in the flesh. I believe in His death, burial, and resurrection, and that through His death, burial, and resurrection, my sin was judged and my sins are forgiven. And I believe that He will return again.

Right: Because the Roman Catholic Church and Organization traces Her roots directly back to the Root - the Lord Jesus Christ - asking what She got right is like asking what the Lord Jesus Christ - Her King - got right.

He got Her right.

Let me know if this isn't clear.

:)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Exactly. The history of the early church is amazing to read,
I've been wanting to read more about that.

and has powered many a conversion.
To Catholicism? Maybe I shouldn't then. :noid:

Seeing the early church in liturgical action in the Mass, baptizing, confessing, ordaining, one can see there was an authoritative hierarchy, there was a sacramental and liturgical life. And there was infant baptism "...baptize first the children..." (Hippolytus: The Apostolic Tradition, A.D. 215)
Yeah, not a fan of infant baptism. :think:

I'm a cradle Catholic, so I have to admit that I never had to ponder that the way a convert would. In all things, however, His grace is sufficient for us. :)
Yep. I'd venture that going from Catholicism to Protestantism is easier than going the other way. But who knows. :D

Cruciform

"Holy Mary, Mother of God: Pray for us sinners. Now and at the hour of our death. Amen."
This is your example of a Catholic doctrine that supposedly "contradicts the Scriptures"? It seems that you're confusing your preferred interpretation of the Scriptures with "the Scriptures" themselves. Big difference there.

Jesus said that we'd recognize Christians by their love for the brethren. I don't see that love in catholics. I see hatred.
If you don't have a genuine answer, just say so. :doh:

But: they are.
Or not. :yawn:

I don't have to, The Bible does that just fine.
So then, you can't establish that your opinions about the Bible's meaning are right, and that therefore the opinions of others are wrong. Thanks for the admission.

Nope. They should follow Christ, as I've said all along.
Good. Then everyone can go ahead and ignore your biblical interpretations and theological opinions. Very good.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

griffinsavard

Catholics got lots of things wrong. The worst was probably when they let Constantine join them to Rome. After they became a religious and political institution they made it a state religion. The problem with a state run religion is heretics could then be punished through civil law.

From Wikipedia...

On this date, Theodosius I decreed that only the followers of Trinitarian Christianity were entitled to be referred to as Catholic Christians, while all others were to be considered to be heretics, which was considered illegal.[14] In 385, this new legal situation resulted, in the first case of many to come, in the capital punishment of a heretic, namely Priscillian, condemned to death, with several of his followers, by a civil tribunal for the crime of magic.[15] In the centuries of state-sponsored Christianity that followed, pagans and "heretical" Christians were routinely persecuted by the Empire and the many kingdoms and countries that later occupied the place of the Empire,[16] but some Germanic tribes remained Arian well into the Middle Ages[17] (see also Christendom).

If you ever let these people get power again get ready for a religious legal system run by political power which will kill you if you disagree with their doctrines. If we see state run religion be ready for forced worship on pains of death. Down with the bloody big head!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Allow me to clear it up for you.

I believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior and as God's Word in the flesh. I believe in His death, burial, and resurrection, and that through His death, burial, and resurrection, my sin was judged and my sins are forgiven. And I believe that He will return again.

Right: Because the Roman Catholic Church and Organization traces Her roots directly back to the Root - the Lord Jesus Christ - asking what She got right is like asking what the Lord Jesus Christ - Her King - got right.

He got Her right.

Let me know if this isn't clear.

:)

Are you a practicing Catholic?

Have you received the sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Communion)?

Do you submit to the authority of the Pope as laid out in Vatican Council I?
To him, in blessed Peter, full power has been given by our lord Jesus Christ to tend, rule and govern the universal Church. All this is to be found in the acts of the ecumenical councils and the sacred canons... Both clergy and faithful, of whatever rite and dignity...are bound to submit to this power by the duty of hierarchical subordination and true obedience, and this not only in matters concerning faith and morals, but also in those which regard the discipline and government of the Church throughout the world.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
^United Nations comes to mind. The Catholic hierarchy was based on the Roman government hierarchy. Doesn't the Roman Catholic church in England run the Government there?

griffinsavard

Medieval Sourcebook:
Banning of Other Religions
Theodosian Code XVI.i.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although toleration was give to Christianity in 311CE by Constantine I, Christianity did not become the legal religion of the Roman Empire until the reign of Theodosius I (379-395). At that point not only was Christianity made the official religion of the Empire, but other religions were declared illegal.

Theodosian Code XVI.1.2

It is our desire that all the various nation which are subject to our clemency and moderation, should continue to the profession of that religion which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter, as it has been preserved by faithful tradition and which is now professed by the Pontiff Damasus and by Peter, Bishop of Alexandria, a man of apostolic holiness. According to the apostolic teaching and the doctrine of the Gospel, let us believe in the one diety of the father, Son and Holy Spirit, in equal majesty and in a holy Trinity. We authorize the followers of this law to assume the title Catholic Christians; but as for the others, since in out judgment they are foolish madmen, we decree that the shall be branded with the ignominious name of heretics, and shall not presume to give their conventicles the name of churches. They will suffer in the first place the chastisement of divine condemnation an the second the punishment of out authority, in accordance with the will of heaven shall decide to inflict.

from Henry Bettenson, ed., Documents of the Christian Church, (London: Oxford University Press, 1943), p. 31 [Short extract used under fair-use provsions]

Did Jesus ever ban other peoples beliefs?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Catholics got lots of things wrong. The worst was probably when they let Constantine join them to Rome. After they became a religious and political institution they made it a state religion. The problem with a state run religion is heretics could then be punished through civil law.

From Wikipedia...

On this date, Theodosius I decreed that only the followers of Trinitarian Christianity were entitled to be referred to as Catholic Christians, while all others were to be considered to be heretics, which was considered illegal.[14] In 385, this new legal situation resulted, in the first case of many to come, in the capital punishment of a heretic, namely Priscillian, condemned to death, with several of his followers, by a civil tribunal for the crime of magic.[15] In the centuries of state-sponsored Christianity that followed, pagans and "heretical" Christians were routinely persecuted by the Empire and the many kingdoms and countries that later occupied the place of the Empire,[16] but some Germanic tribes remained Arian well into the Middle Ages[17] (see also Christendom).

If you ever let these people get power again get ready for a religious legal system run by political power which will kill you if you disagree with their doctrines. If we see state run religion be ready for forced worship on pains of death. Down with the bloody big head!

United Nations comes to mind. The Catholic hierarchy was based on the Roman government hierarchy. Doesn't the Roman Catholic church in England run the Government there?

griffinsavard

^United Nations comes to mind. The Catholic hierarchy was based on the Roman government hierarchy. Doesn't the Roman Catholic church in England run the Government there?

According to the past history of Christianity and the current movements we should see a reasurgence of the Harlot riding the Beast.

Whether the United Nations or the Pope bring this about is up for grabs. My prediction is a state governed forced religion being imposed on humanity. I think you can see this in Rev. 17, 18

All the kings are of one mind and the harlot Babylon rides the beast system.

Don't fall for this folks....if we ever let a state run religion come alive again you can be sure it will be a beast. Down with the bloody big head, Christians DO NOT LET THERE BE A STATE RUN RELIGION LIKE CATHOLICISM EVER COME BACK.......or face the consequences.

:rip:

griffinsavard

I have that in one of my books. :D

Possibly.
What is the baptism of regeneration for?

The problem with catholic baptism is you must be able to give a confession of faith before you can receive the Baptism to follow Christ.

According to Peter it is the declaration of a clear conscience that saves us and not the washing of baptism.

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
1Pe 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

The answer of a good conscience has to be made by those who understand what is going on. Babies and those who are too young obviously dont qualify. The doctrine came about because of eternal torment and what happens to babies with their immortal soul,....

:down: