toldailytopic: Some say: Hate the sin, love the sinner. But what does God say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoo22

I'm not sure, so can someone please help and tell me where and what about Jesus said "I hate?"

A couple of times? ...And I thought it was about the deeds not the folks?

I may be way off base.

zoo22

A strong emotion that is defind in many ways, but we will stick with what Jesus spoke of, not your love for your wife. The opposite would be empathy, no emotion for the person.

The opposite of what is empathy? And what's your definition of empathy?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course not.

What do you make of 1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
Means exactly what it says. Jesus died so that all men might be saved.

SaulToPaul 2

The question has to be answered dispensationally.

Today, in the dispensation of the grace of God, God is not at enmity with anyone.
He has reconciled himself to all men, having made his Son to be their sin.

2 Cor 5:19 (KJV)

The quotes from the prophets, the four gospels, and Psalms do not reflect the dispensation of the grace of God.

Lon

David unashamedly hated all enemies of God. Jesus said, "you've heard it said, love your friends but hate your enemies. I tell you to love your enemies and do good to them."

This lends to the 'hate the sin, love the sinner' quip.

Scripture also tells us to advance the cause of the fatherless and orphan. It is given in terms that would envelope their protection and rights. We support policemen and other authorities to do what must be done in the line of protection and defense. Love doesn't turn a blind eye, it simply does good when it is unhindered by love and concern for others.

Concerning love, we adhere to a hierarchy of allegiance. Loving our enemy is on a lower stratus from protecting others against them, also in a commitment that is driven by love and care for those.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I agree with STP, the question should be, "but what does God say now?" At times, I've bought into the idea that we should hate sinners. In reality, I love sinners. Especially the ones that admit that they are and have become believers in the only one that can save them - Jesus Christ. I've grown to like sinners that admit they are, but have not yet believed in Christ. I can work with that. There's hope for them. The perfect people first have to be convinced that they are sinners. That can be tough. I'm highly skeptical that reading them the 10 Commandments or the Sermon on the Mount from a book they don't believe in is enough to convict them. But with God it's definitely possible. They too can repent (change their mind) and turn to Christ.

Krsto

Today, in the dispensation of the grace of God, God is not at enmity with anyone.

The quotes from the prophets, the four gospels, and Psalms do not reflect the dispensation of the grace of God.

So in your view the "Word of Reconcilliation" that God has entrusted to us in this dispensation is what?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jesus seems to put them in opposition to each other.
Huh uh.:nono:

Jesus was teaching that they were not mutually exclusive, i.e. in opposition to each other. He was teaching that perfect hatred [Psalm 139:21-22] works in conjunction with perfect love [1 John 4:18]. Because hatred without love is useless. And love without hatred is as well [Romans 12:9].

Do you think God's character has changed? Do you think God did not love sinner when He hated them? If this is true then why did David write that God hated them [Psalm 5:5], and Jesus taught that He loved them [John 3:6], in the same dispensation?

Lon

Because hatred without love is useless. And love without hatred is as well [Romans 12:9].

I've read this, or at least a variation (love without sin) of this, several times from different people on here and it concerns me. From where it is coming from, I have no idea, but as a blanket statement it is incorrect.

I wish somebody who held this erroneaus philosophy and can discuss it at length would start a thread on it.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
If God really hated sinners why did He bother to send Jesus?
Because the term "sinners" is not a general condemnation for anyone who sins. What Psalm 5:5 (KJV) refers to are "workers of iniquity." Those are the folks who do evil for evil's sake and they worship some one or some thing other than God.

Jesus was quite specific about who those people were and what they were doing to perpetrate evil.

SaulToPaul 2

So in your view the "Word of Reconcilliation" that God has entrusted to us in this dispensation is what?

To wit, that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them. This is the gospel, 1 Cor 15:1-4

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Huh uh.:nono:

Jesus was teaching that they were not mutually exclusive, i.e. in opposition to each other. He was teaching that perfect hatred [Psalm 139:21-22] works in conjunction with perfect love [1 John 4:18]. Because hatred without love is useless. And love without hatred is as well [Romans 12:9].

I don't see how Jesus was doing that in that passage.

If apathy is the opposite of love, what is the opposite of hate?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't see how Jesus was doing that in that passage.

If apathy is the opposite of love, what is the opposite of hate?
If hate and love are two sides of the same coin then they have the same opposite.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not sure, so can someone please help and tell me where and what about Jesus said "I hate?"

Yeah, you are way off base. Do you believe that Jesus is God? Yes or no. I will gladly give you it.

genuineoriginal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 16th, 2010 11:34 AM

toldailytopic: Some say: Hate the sin, love the sinner. But what does God say?

Leviticus 19
15Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
16Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour; I am the LORD.
17Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

That is what God said.
God said that you should love the sinner enough to judge them and rebuke them so they would repent.

(It grieves me to see that most of the answers are not what God said, but what the poster's religious belief says.)

Status
Not open for further replies.