toldailytopic: Some say: Hate the sin, love the sinner. But what does God say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Setting aside your assertion that God's love for Jacob was not agape, and the clear contrast between how God loved Jacob and hated Esau...

One can have extreme dislike for one and still value him as a person enough to sacrifice for his well being. It's tough, but it's possible.

John 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Odd how God can value a person enough to sacrifice for his well being, yet He will not hear sinners and will destroy all sinners eventually (Isa 13:9).

Is it possible that you're missing something?

elohiym

1 John 2:9-10 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.

The wicked do not do the will of my Father in heaven.

Mat 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So hate is telling truth? If this is true, than love is a lie? I know you don't believe that.

You made the false assumption that love and hate are mutually exclusive. Knowing they are not, care to rethink your position?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He also told us to love our enemies and call people to repentance and to carry the fruits of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, meekness and temperance.

Does that include calling people the spawn of satan? Of course, the answer is yes. If Jesus did not love the Pharisee, he would have told them "you guys are wonderful and special", or something similar. But because he loved them, he rebuked them sharply, said they are of their father the devil, liars and murderers.

elohiym

Have we established that love and hate are not mutually exclusive? If so, who has proved that is true? :idunno:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Mat 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

:up:

Those that advocate evil or preach a false gospel are not my brother.

zoo22

1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.
-Psalm 139:21-22

Matthew 5:43: You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor" and hate your enemy; Lev. 19:18
Matthew 5:44: but I say to you, Love your enemies; bless those cursing you, do well to those hating you; and pray for those abusing and persecuting you,
Matthew 5:45: so that you may become sons of your Father in Heaven. Because He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and unjust.
Matthew 5:46: For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same?
Matthew 5:47: And if you only greet your brothers, what exceptional thing do you do? Do not the tax-collectors do so?
Matthew 5:48: Therefore, you be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
1 John 2:9-10 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
Sinners are not my brothers.

Matthew 5:43: You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor" and hate your enemy; Lev. 19:18
Matthew 5:44: but I say to you, Love your enemies; bless those cursing you, do well to those hating you; and pray for those abusing and persecuting you,
Matthew 5:45: so that you may become sons of your Father in Heaven. Because He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and unjust.
Matthew 5:46: For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same?
Matthew 5:47: And if you only greet your brothers, what exceptional thing do you do? Do not the tax-collectors do so?
Matthew 5:48: Therefore, you be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.
Why do you assume I cannot do both?

Son of Jack

Have we established that love and hate are not mutually exclusive? If so, who has proved that is true? :idunno:

Agreed. They are mutually exclusive until someone can show that they are not (I think kmo's citation makes that quite difficult). I think we would be wise to frame the discussion around the definitions of the two words.

What is love?

What is hate?

The Graphite

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 16th, 2010 11:34 AM

toldailytopic: Some say: Hate the sin, love the sinner. But what does God say?

Ah yes, one of my favorite verses from II Opinions 5. In fact, this topic is discussed quite a bit in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Opinions, as I recall. Right up there with "God helps those who help themselves," and "Party trumps person," and especially "God existed before time." :doh:

Arthur Brain

A strong emotion that is defind in many ways, but we will stick with what Jesus spoke of, not your love for your wife. The opposite would be empathy, no emotion for the person.

One can only presume you meant to say 'apathy' there Nick unless it was a Freudian slip....

:plain:

Krsto

A little background on agape love. The word agape comes from the root word "to make large." It's the idea that something that is larger has more value, as when a child thinks a nickle should be worth more than a dime because it's bigger.

Biblical words are defined by usage, as with words in any language. That's how Webster was able to come up with a definition for every word in our language and those def's change as people use the word differently. The word gay, for example, doesn't have the same definition it had a hundred years ago.

With agape 2 other ideas come into play with the word agape by bible times and those are the ideas of doing that which benefits the other and the idea of self-sacrifice.

For example: the Pharisees had agape for the chief seats in the Synagogue. They esteemed them and would make sacrifices to get them.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

This tells us the greater the agape, the more one will sacrifice for the benefit of the loved one, even to the point giving all.

That is why I say the opposite of agape is selfishness, not hatred.

Hatred is an emotion, while agape is not. We are commanded to agape regardless of our emotions. That is how we can agape our enemies while we still have hatred for them.

Have any of you men ever hated your wife? What does God call us men to do? Lay down our lives for our wife as Christ laid down his life for his bride, the church. Should your agape for her wait until your emotions of hate subside or should you agape her first so that your emotions of hate will subside?

If Christian men did the right thing, what do you think would happen to the divorce rate in the church?

zoo22

So you think everyone is a Christian?

Of course not.

What do you make of 1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Last edited:

The Graphite

A little background on agape love. The word agape comes from the root word "to make large." It's the idea that something that is larger has more value, as when a child thinks a nickle should be worth more than a dime because it's bigger.

Biblical words are defined by usage, as with words in any language. That's how Webster was able to come up with a definition for every word in our language and those def's change as people use the word differently. The word gay, for example, doesn't have the same definition it had a hundred years ago.

With agape 2 other ideas come into play with the word agape by bible times and those are the ideas of doing that which benefits the other and the idea of self-sacrifice.

For example: the Pharisees had agape for the chief seats in the Synagogue. They esteemed them and would make sacrifices to get them.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

This tells us the greater the agape, the more one will sacrifice for the benefit of the loved one, even to the point giving all.

That is why I say the opposite of agape is selfishness, not hatred.

Hatred is an emotion, while agape is not. We are commanded to agape regardless of our emotions. That is how we can agape our enemies while we still have hatred for them.

Have any of you men ever hated your wife? What does God call us men to do? Lay down our lives for our wife as Christ laid down his life for his bride, the church. Should your agape for her wait until your emotions of hate subside or should you agape her first so that your emotions of hate will subside?

If Christian men did the right thing, what do you think would happen to the divorce rate in the church?
THIS!

zoo22

Agreed. They are mutually exclusive until someone can show that they are not (I think kmo's citation makes that quite difficult). I think we would be wise to frame the discussion around the definitions of the two words.

What is love?

What is hate?

I don't believe they are mutually exclusive... But I imagine someone can tell me otherwise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.