toldailytopic: Some say: Hate the sin, love the sinner. But what does God say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 16th, 2010 11:34 AM

toldailytopic: Some say: Hate the sin, love the sinner. But what does God say?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tico

Psalm 5:5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity.

Selaphiel

Psalm 5:5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity.

That is about God, not about you...And it is about standing in the presence of God, a presence that no evil can stand.

Selaphiel

Nick M said:
Should we strive to be like God, or somebody else?

Sure. Christ is the perfect revelation of God, he revealed the mind of God. He also told us to love our enemies and call people to repentance and to carry the fruits of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, meekness and temperance. Hatred seems to be omitted.
Paul seems to be more concerned about our own sin. Meet others with the fruits of the Spirit and show them that God is a God of mercy and forgiveness for the repenting person. Hate your own sin and love your enemy.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hate is such a misunderstood emotion. :chuckle:

Cracked

Should we strive to be like God, or somebody else?

:up:

If you really loved your neighbor, you would hate them when needed. Rebuke sharply so they may be sound in the faith.

So hate is telling truth? If this is true, than love is a lie? I know you don't believe that.

To edify, we need to speak the truth in love, according to Paul.

God hated sin so much, yet loved people so much, He suffered greatly for it. So, the idea that we hate sin and love sinners is kind of the essence of God's approach toward us. That's what grace is, isn't it - unmerited favor?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If God really hated sinners why did He bother to send Jesus?
Because He loved them. :thumb:

In this sense I would say that God hated the sin, but loved the sinner. God loved man so much that He was willing to send His only son to die for them. Thus, instead of looking at men as sinners, He could look at Christ in whom we can reside.

But we could not today say that God hates the sin yet loves the sinner. That would mean He still had work to do. And we all know the work of salvation is finished.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That is about God, not about you...And it is about standing in the presence of God, a presence that no evil can stand.
Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.
-Psalm 139:21-22

Tico

Mat. 5:48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Eph. 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.

Psalm 139:21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
From Matthew 5:43
Love for Enemies

5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’* and ‘hate your enemy.’ 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemy and* pray for those who persecute you, 5:45 so that you may be like* your Father in heaven, since he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 5:46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Even the tax collectors* do the same, don’t they? 5:47 And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they? 5:48 So then, be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.*

Yet we know that no one can be perfect, thus we shall hate our enemies. God knows our limitations, what pleases God is being in Christ, who can forgive. We do so in His name.

zoo22

1 John 2:9-10 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.

yeshuaslavejeff

re "Yet we know that no one can be perfect, thus we shall hate our enemies. God knows our limitations, what pleases God is being in Christ, who can forgive. We do so in His name."
NO! not true.
It is written "you(His Disciples Only, not the worldly) must be perfect, because your(to/of Disciples ONLY, not most posters) Heavenly Father is perfect." and it is so forever, it cannot be changed. Period.
What pleases Abba is obedient faith, abiding in (immersed in) Yahshua's Life, doing what He says to do, saying what He says(not adding to it, not taking away from it).
"we shall hate our enemies" is what the world and the religious say, never what the disciples following Yahshua and living in Him say.

elohiym

Jesus will say "I never knew you" to those who call him Lord yet do not cease from sin (Mat 7:22-23). That's because those who sin are not in Christ and have never known him (1Jo 3:6). When those who refuse to repent from sin are rejected, call it whatever you like...hate...love...tough love...

zoo22

But we could not today say that God hates the sin yet loves the sinner. That would mean He still had work to do. And we all know the work of salvation is finished.

1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Krsto

The opposite of agape love is not hatred. The opposite of agape love is to be selfish and not want the best for another. That is why God can both love and hate at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

elohiym

The opposite of agape love is not hatred. The opposite of agape love is to be selfish and not want the best for another. That is why God can both love and hate at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

Hatred is extreme dislike or antipathy.

How can God love and hate someone at the same time?

God said he loved Jacob but hated Esau. He did not love and hate Esau.

Krsto

Hatred is extreme dislike or antipathy.

How can God love and hate someone at the same time?

God said he loved Jacob but hated Esau. He did not love and hate Esau.

That wasn't agape love since agape is not in their language. It's a Greek word.

Agape love involves having high esteem for the loved (person or object) and the more one is willing to sacrifice for it the greater the agape love. One can have extreme dislike for one and still value him as a person enough to sacrifice for his well being. It's tough, but it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.