toldailytopic: Shacking up. Is it wise for a couple to live together prior to marriag

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Shacking up? Trial runs don't apply to selecting a spouse. If the person is willing to go for such an arrangement, it would leave me wondering how committed he would be to the marriage. It isn't a good idea.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh, and I actually sort of agree with ACW in the sense that cohabitation (and the activities that accompany it) can make accidental pregnancies quite a bit more likely, which isn't generally very nice for anyone. Really, though, all that means is that cohabiting couples should take extra care when sleeping with each other.

So in essence, whoever or whatever you're having sex with (man, woman or beast) you should always have this in the front of your moral relative mind:

"Let's be careful out there"?

MrRadish

So in essence, whoever or whatever you're having sex with (man, woman or beast) you should always have this in the front of your moral relative mind:

"Let's be careful out there"?

It is prudent to take a reasonable amount of care whatever you do, certainly. I don't see why you brought zoophilia into it though, beyond your normal penchant for pointless vulgarity.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No, they should not.

I've seen several people do this and there is only one couple still married, but I cannot speak to the quality of their marriage as we are not acquainted. I do know it was some time before they married and they had a child before marriage; they were also in an adulterous affair before cohabitation.

(at the time a seriously arrogant censored)
You should use a different word, so as not to break the TOL rules.

Buzzword

Lighthouse said:
You should use a different word, so as not to break the TOL rules.

What if I used it as a verb?

Oh, and thanks for not addressing ANYTHING in the rest of my post.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What if I used it as a verb?
Stupid question. As a noun it is a cuss word, you know that. Don't play daft.

Oh, and thanks for not addressing ANYTHING in the rest of my post.
I didn't have any reason to address anything else in your post. If it had not been for the cuss word I would not have replied to you at all. Would you have an issue if I hadn't responded in any fashion? Of course not, so why take issue now?

Granite

Hall of Fame
because he shakes his fist at God every chance he gets

Why don't you grow up?:yawn:

This all really just boils down to the Christian distaste for sex, and the idea that people might be having it when you don't approve. Deal with it, folks. There are greater concerns. You all might want to focus on your own relationships* and go from there.

* Or lack thereof. ASC and Lighthouse, that one's for you.:cheers:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is prudent to take a reasonable amount of care whatever you do, certainly. I don't see why you brought zoophilia into it though, beyond your normal penchant for pointless vulgarity.

Hey, who am I to question someone doing their own "thing", as long as it's consensual, right?

(Oh Ruuuuu-bee, don't take your love to town).

Jordan Fontenot

Not only that it really is just a bad idea from even a secular point of view. I mean you have to reign over who owns what in the house and then one person moves out and it's like a divorce only not. I mean really what would be the point of that. Why not just marry them?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why don't you grow up?:yawn:

This all really just boils down to the Christian distaste for sex
Granite does not even believe this charge himself! I rather doubt even he will try to convince the readers of this thread that, when he was (or pretending to be) a Christian, he didn't think it appropriate to enjoy an active sex life with his wife.

and the idea that people might be having it when you don't approve. Deal with it, folks. There are greater concerns. You all might want to focus on your own relationships* and go from there.
Granite might be able to lie to himself but don't buy it!

Cleekster

i find the idea that humans need a binding contract in order to commit to one another about as laughable as the idea that they need a totalitarian god to tell them how to live a moral life.

No i have no problem with it(shacking up). in fact i wouldn't have it any other way....if i have to sign on the dotted line to be more than a friend you hang out with then you're probably NOT worth the investment anyway.

bybee

i find the idea that humans need a binding contract in order to commit to one another about as laughable as the idea that they need a totalitarian god to tell them how to live a moral life.

No i have no problem with it(shacking up). in fact i wouldn't have it any other way....if i have to sign on the dotted line to be more than a friend you hang out with then you're probably NOT worth the investment anyway.

And what investment would that be?

Cleekster

And what investment would that be?
a committed relationship.....why enter into a relationship with someone who has trust issues from the get go....the marriage contract is nothing more than spousal welfare in the event of divorce.

bybee

a committed relationship.....why enter into a relationship with someone who has trust issues from the get go....the marriage contract is nothing more than spousal welfare in the event of divorce.

What is the definition of a commited relationship?

Ps82

No, it is not wise... and it does not lead to a more committed relationship.

Even if a couple, where one or both partners have this sort of attitude about experimenting first is okay, does finally marry ... then most of the time they still treat the marriage as if it were a try-it-to-see-if-you-like-it contract.

Marriage is not for wishy-washy cowards and sissies. People are not perfect ... so marriage is always tough... but it can be worthwhile for a family when a couple is victorious.