toldailytopic: Santorum shocks everyone and vaults to the front of the race. Thoughts

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So you believe that Paul is more of a pro-life candidate than Santorum?

Less willing to compromise on abortion than Santorum. Although I think there's some hope Santorum learned his lesson from the Spector debacle.

Cult Warrior fumes:
Ron Paul as shown in the text, wants to leave murder up to the respective states

So does the U.S. Constitution. Once you agree to ignore the Constitution to do what you want to do, anyone else can do it to do anything they want, to you.

The Constitution matters, and Paul is very correct that returning the matter to the states would save thousands of lives right now.

But it would remove some power from the federal government, which is, of course, blasphemy to you.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
And you didn't answer the question, Anna: How are you going to make the person that you do vote for do what you want? If you can't answer that, why bother voting other than to soothe your conscience?

Ahhh, but elohiym, you didn't answer it when I asked of you.

So how are you going to make the person that you didn't vote for do what you want?

Rather, how are you going to make the person that you do vote for do what you want? :think:

Christ's Word

"What moral system should government follow? The same one individuals follow. Do not steal. Do not murder. Do not bear false witness. Do not covet. Do not foster vice. If governments would merely follow the moral law we would live in a world of peace, prosperity, and freedom. The system is called classical liberalism. Liberty is not complicated." Liberty Defined.

How can one not agree to this is beyond me.

Government can be like baseball, one great person could lead the day (Churchill and Hitler, David and Goliath, Gibson and Marichal)......but more often than not, it is the sum total of mostly individual human failures......

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I don't know. But I do think we'll be hearing a lot about them. I don't think Bachmann will wind up as a VP candidate, but I think her name will be thrown around a lot. I think Palin's reluctance to make an endorsement is tied to wanting a VP role. Gingrich has already vaguely held her up as a possibility. I think he did that in part so he could feel out what a public response might be.

A lot of conservatives washed their hands of her when she didn't commit, and moved on. Even if some of them were to regain their previous enthusiasm, I don't believe she could bring in the independents. The only one who could benefit is Romney, because she would make him more palatable to conservatives dragging their feet. But if she did that, then he would lose more conservatives then he would gain. IMHO, of course.

But my comment was not really about Palin or Bachmann actually being chosen... Rather about believing there's going to be a strong emphasis on VP in the GOP race. I think the VP ticket can change the election, and more so than it might have in previous elections.

On that, I could agree with you. :up:

Christ's Word

there are many here who won't even admit that they voted for Obama
and
a few who are sorry that they did

Romney may even be a worse choice, he is a lot like a stock car racer.........every time you think he gets headed straight......he then takes a big turn to the left....

elohiym

Oh I should have known. :doh:

Santorum is a Roman Catholic. :chuckle:

That means he can sin in office then just confess it to a priest to relieve his conscience.

Hey, it works for child molesting priests. :idunno:

elohiym

Preaching the gospel is going to make the person in office that you didn't vote for do what you want?

Please state for the record that the gospel of Christ lacks the power to do that.

By choosing the person most likely to do exactly that.

You must have misunderstood the question.

How are you going to make him do the will of the People once he is elected?

Don't know where you have been the last few decades. :hammer:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Oh I should have known. :doh:

Santorum is a Roman Catholic. :chuckle:

That means he can sin in office then just confess it to a priest to relieve his conscience.

Hey, it works for child molesting priests. :idunno:

Way to poison the well. I'm sorry I invested the time in this conversation.

elohiym

I believe the majority of the Supreme Court justices are Roman Catholic, too, yet they will not declare the Roe decision unconstitutional. :think:

elohiym

Christians, if God calls them to vote in the U.S. election, should vote for a candidate that believes the gospel. Isn't that common sense?

zoo22

A lot of conservatives washed their hands of her when she didn't commit, and moved on. Even if some of them were to regain their previous enthusiasm, I don't believe she could bring in the independents. The only one who could benefit is Romney, because she would make him more palatable to conservatives dragging their feet. But if she did that, then he would lose more conservatives then he would gain. IMHO, of course.

I think Palin would hurt Romney's campaign.

I think Palin would be most helpful to Gingrich: Among a few different reasons, she'd help offset both his divorce/philandering/family issues and also his Washington insider status. If I were a Gingrich campaign strategist :)Plain:) I'd definitely be suggesting considering Palin as a possibility.

Even though she's ragged on him some in campaigning, I think Bachmann will likely endorse Santorum, and in doing so, be hoping for a VP offer. I don't think she'd get it, but who knows. Just my meandering speculation. :)

On that, I could agree with you. :up:

Yeah, it'll be interesting. I haven't really been thinking much about it until today. But after the Iowa results, it jumped out... All of the candidates really need some help in establishing a clear lead. Or in Gingrich's case, reestablishing himself as viable.

some other dude

For example, it's well-established that people with identical resumes are much less likely to be called for an interview if their names are identifiably "black." How do you fix that?

Make it illegal for people to name their children DeShawn, Tyrone, Ebony, Precious, or Shaniqwa? :idunno:

elohiym

Proverbs 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes.

Which gospel?

The gospel according to elo?

The same gospel Paul delivered to the nations.

Romney doesn't believe it.

Santorum doesn't believe it.

You don't believe it (we've "discussed" that.)

And for anyone interested, that link is also quite relevant to this discussion and the candidates theology. :readthis: