toldailytopic: Reincarnation: do you believe in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
And all this time I believed what they told me - that deer eat grass and shrubs/leaves. I sure got messed up, eh? :dunce:

His error is formaldehyde, methanol, ethanol, and cremation.
Not to mention sealed coffins in concrete. :dead:, but not at supper, supper where he is eaten, seldom occurs.

ragTagblues

Knowing my luck I'd be reincarnated into the same job as my current and then get a warning for being late . . . .

On a serious note, no I do not believe in it. There seems to be no substantial evidence . . .

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Reincarnation--- what in the tar-nation.:hammer:Dying and coming back as a fly on a pile of horse manure--nope--or even as a garbage man nope. As a Christian, once I die, then I face my eternal destiny with God.

Reincarnation is something you find out in the cow pasture. Be careful not to step in it.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Reincarnation is the process of dying and being born into a new body--the process is repeated endlessly--so the theory does. It is prevalent throughout many non-Christian religions. It is a belief I just don't buy. Once you are dead you go to your final judgment. You are not reborn.

Paulos

Wasn't the point that his blindness wasn't the result of sin?

That was Jesus' point in his reply to the disciples' question. But the disciples' question about whether the blind man sinned before he was born seems to suggest the possibility of reincarnation. After all, how is it possible that the man could have sinned before he was born unless he had lived some sort of previous lifetime?

Buzzword

No, but I find it a fascinating study in Eastern vs. Western spirituality.

Western, as has been demonstrated on this thread already, is very linear.
We're born, we live, we die, we go on to some eternity.
It reflects a culture in which the individual is the primary source of identity.
I can be anything I want to be, I have to pay my bills, I have to follow my heart, etc.
It carries the implication that nothing of value was here before me.
Therefore:
I am born, I live, I die, my choices determine my eternal destination.

Eastern spirituality is far more cyclical, based on the understanding that every process in nature is cyclical, even birth and death.
Eastern cultures find identity in the collective, whether the nuclear family, the village, the province, or the nation.
Each of those sources of identity was around long before any individual, and lingers after them.
As a result, Eastern spirituality focuses more on the eternal existence of everything, even as we learn just how far back that existence goes.

Even the birth and death of stars is just one more cyclical process in a universe of cyclical processes.
Thus, even though Eastern religions like Shinto do have creation myths, they emphasize that there was always something before the world we know.

The philosophy behind reincarnation is the universal idea of our actions having consequences, but instead of a final, eternal consequence, we must constantly strive to live this life better than the last one.
Of course, the final release from the cycle varies from faith to faith.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Reincarnation is the process of dying and being born into a new body--the process is repeated endlessly--so the theory does. It is prevalent throughout many non-Christian religions. It is a belief I just don't buy. Once you are dead you go to your final judgment. You are not reborn.

Right. This is the most popular definition to reincarnation. Some may add eventual success if one can live a good enough life in order to make it into a an after-life. It holds that if we're not good enough in life then we die and come back as something smaller or less evolved. Finally, it means that we have the ability to live perfect lives by ourselves, in order to reincarnate into something better, to evolve, to succeed, all by ourselves, without Jesus.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Reincarnation is both spiritualist and materialist, one as you have said is an immortal soul who is reborn into a new body. There are several forms, one involving karma, the soul is born for better or worse, depending on their previous life. The Hindu belief, usually one achieves a progressively high conscious state, because an avatar ( not what we use) and as such, is a teacher, or guru. The last step is one with the Godhead, yet even the parts of the godhead are sometimes reincarnated into other forms of god.

The Buddhist take is more reincarnation is from desire to be in a body; the intimate goal is to lose all interest in the pleasure of the flesh and become selfless.

I look on a few sites, must say this and ramble on. While the Hindu is more aimed at achieving higher states of being, the Buddhist are more apt to look for an end of the desire for materialism.

I read where some Christians embrace this idea, which seems strange to me, yet had I any inclination, it would be more union with God and less desire for an individual self.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Reincarnation is both spiritualist and materialist, one as you have said is an immortal soul who is reborn into a new body. There are several forms, one involving karma, the soul is born for better or worse, depending on their previous life. The Hindu belief, usually one achieves a progressively high conscious state, because an avatar ( not what we use) and as such, is a teacher, or guru. The last step is one with the Godhead, yet even the parts of the godhead are sometimes reincarnated into other forms of god.

The Buddhist take is more reincarnation is from desire to be in a body; the intimate goal is to lose all interest in the pleasure of the flesh and become selfless.

I look on a few sites, must say this and ramble on. While the Hindu is more aimed at achieving higher states of being, the Buddhist are more apt to look for an end of the desire for materialism.

I read where some Christians embrace this idea, which seems strange to me, yet had I any inclination, it would be more union with God and less desire for an individual self.

Hinduism reincarnation focuses on evolution, improvement. I am all for that. Buddhism incarnation is all about becoming selfless, Christ-like, full of my oatmeal.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 4th, 2011 01:19 PM

toldailytopic: Reincarnation: do you believe in it?

No.

I find not scriptural reference to incarnation either.

The word was made flesh over a period of 30 years.

LA

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the movie 'groundhog day' convinced me
what a great movie
he kept coming back until he got it right
and
that makes you wonder
if
when you come back, there are fewer good people
because
more and more are finally getting it right
then
what you come back to is going to look more like hell

"Come to think of it, there were several Buddhists here last time I was active. What did you do to those guys?"
Lovejoy
Buddhism is like Christianity. There are sophisticated Buddhists and fundamentalist Buddhists. Fundamentalist Buddhists do not understand what Buddha taught. Simply put, Buddha taught that the self does not exist, even for a nano-second. ( space-time confirms this) . The goal is to realize this and be delivered from the suffering caused by the illusion of persistence. One could say one is delivered from the illusion that you ( while alive) are reincarnated every minute. No self, no death, no reincarnation.
The word "reincarnation" is used by knowledgeable Buddhists the same way we say mirage or dream. It is an illusion one should try to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.