toldailytopic: Jesus is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Jesus is dead.

You may be dead (Eph 4:18). He is risen (Mt 28:6) and alive (Josh 3:10; 1 Sam. 17:26, Ps 84:2, Mt 16:16, 1 Ti 3:15, Re 7:2).

"Anyone who is actually following a recognized road will not be too worried if he hears non-travelers telling each other that no such road exists." ~ J.I. Packer

"Life implies feeling, power, and activity. God has all of these (Ps 115:3)...The living God is always in contrast to dead idols (Ps 115:3-9, Ac14:15, 1 Thess 1:9). Our God is alive. He sees, hears, and loves (MacGregor, Prys, pg. 22)."

See:

Evidence For The Resurrection

Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ true? What does the Bible give as proof that the resurrection of Jesus Christ truly happened?

Why is the resurrection of Jesus Christ important? If Jesus had not been resurrected, what would that mean for believers?

Q & A with Gary Habermas

Recommended reading:

The Resurrection of Jesus: A Rational Inquiry by Gary Habermas

Last edited:

chair

No, no. Absolutely speaking. You have sinned, and there is a Supremely Just God who demands that you pay an impossible penalty for your sins. If Christ has not risen from the dead, then you have no escape from the burden of your guilt.

You must bear it.
You must bear it alone.
The guilt is unbearable.

The wages of sin is death.

You honestly don't see the contradiction in your own statements.
"Supremely Just God"
" impossible penalty"

Come on! Think for a minute.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
You honestly don't see the contradiction in your own statements.
"Supremely Just God"
" impossible penalty"

Come on! Think for a minute.

It's impossible for us in the sense that we can't bear the penalty. Even if we go on paying forever and ever, we'd still fall short.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The idea of man conceived in-itself, that is, "rational animal." The idea of God conceived in-itself, that is to say, "The Supreme Principle."

Conceived in itself, "rational animal" is not "The Supreme Principle."

But is it a contradiction to say that this particular x both is rational animal and The Supreme Principle? I don't think so. There's no contradiction in saying that God can create the world. The Idea of man already exists in God as universal. That is to say, God is the principle of man to start with; otherwise, God couldn't create mankind.

What contradiction is there in saying that God Himself assumes a human nature?

What do you mean by rational animal? Do you believe that humans have a body, soul, and spirit? Or what does a human consist of?

What do you mean by Supreme Principle?

Nydhogg

I'm making another thread about it. That said, I don't think that it relies on faith in Christianity to agree with what I'm saying. Do you believe that God is supremely just, that to sin is to break the Moral Law, etc.?

Supreme justice cannot coexist with supreme mercy.
For quite understandable reasons, when it comes down to the gritty details, people will believe in merciful Gods, not in stern ones.

:p.

P.S. Death is not "an impossible penalty". Death is death. People die, stuff breaks. It's not that of a big deal.
And once you die, you're pretty much dead. If death is the ultimate penalty, it's not that hard to pay it.

You do stay dead forever, so technically, you're paying for all eternity. But good men die, and evil men die.

Perhaps death is no penalty at all, but simply The Way Stuff Works.

Nydhogg

That's absurd.
Mercy is whatever lenience you offer when you consider acting justly would be inhumanly cruel or unconscionable. Mercy, by definition, is not justice.
Either justice or mercy are served. One cannot embody both. They're contradictory.

A god might be sometimes just, sometimes merciful, like good ol' Thor.
But to assume a God is both perfectly just and perfectly merciful is simply untenable.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's absurd.
Mercy is whatever lenience you offer when you consider acting justly would be inhumanly cruel or unconscionable. Mercy, by definition, is not justice.
Either justice or mercy are served. One cannot embody both. They're contradictory.

But to assume a God is both perfectly just and perfectly merciful is simply untenable.

we read your posts
that is mercy
we don't agree
that is justice

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
That's absurd.

Is justice good or not good?
Is mercy good or not good?

Ecumenicist

That's absurd.

Consider the possibility that sin is sickness and mercy is healing.

True justice is not retribution, its healing. God's Grace IS God's Justice, IS God's Love.

In Christ, all thing are possible.

bybee

Supreme justice cannot coexist with supreme mercy.
For quite understandable reasons, when it comes down to the gritty details, people will believe in merciful Gods, not in stern ones.

:p.

P.S. Death is not "an impossible penalty". Death is death. People die, stuff breaks. It's not that of a big deal.
And once you die, you're pretty much dead. If death is the ultimate penalty, it's not that hard to pay it.

You do stay dead forever, so technically, you're paying for all eternity. But good men die, and evil men die.

Perhaps death is no penalty at all, but simply The Way Stuff Works.

At the moment of death there is a separation. The life force leaves the body. The body begins to decay. But that which caused the body to live has moved on.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will answer this based on the way Jesus was portrayed when I was a child ...

Jesus is the epitome of love and kindness.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That isn't so far off.

Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you don't deserve

bybee

That isn't so far off.

Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you don't deserve

This is great. I"m going to use this.
A few years ago I finally learned the meaning of the parable of "The Prodigal Son". What a relief! It is not about performance or fairness. It is about the Father's love.
And justice, do I want justice? Yes. In this world. But, thanks be to God, my justice is filtered through the grace of God. Else I should be quite lost.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A few years ago I finally learned the meaning of the parable of "The Prodigal Son". What a relief! It is not about performance or fairness. It is about the Father's love.
And justice, do I want justice? Yes. In this world. But, thanks be to God, my justice is filtered through the grace of God. Else I should be quite lost.

Jesus paid the price for the sin of the world. So justice was in fact served for your sin.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The all wise John W said it first. Well, all he did was put the three in one post refering the exectuion, burial, and resurection of the Christ on our behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.