I am the bread of life. John 6:48

I am the light of the world. John 8:12

Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

I am the light of the world. John 9:5

I am the door. John 10:9

I am the good shepherd. John 10:14

I am the resurrection and the life. John 11:25

I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 14:6

I am the true vine. John 15:1

…Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith… Hebrews 12:2

Jesus: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:16

Hallelujah! Amen! and Amen!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
....the only way to the One True God.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Brown doesn't imply "not hard". That's where your analogy falls flat.
A God is, by definition, not a human being. One can't be both.

I beg to differ. Perhaps the Athanasian creed will be helpful:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith;

2. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.

3. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;

4. Neither confounding the persons nor dividing the substance.

5. For there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit.

6. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit is all one, the glory equal, the majesty coeternal.

7. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Spirit.

8. The Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, and the Holy Spirit uncreated.

9. The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Spirit incomprehensible.

10. The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the Holy Spirit eternal.

11. And yet they are not three eternals but one eternal.

12. As also there are not three uncreated nor three incomprehensible, but one uncreated and one incomprehensible.

13. So likewise the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, and the Holy Spirit almighty.

14. And yet they are not three almighties, but one almighty.

15. So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God;

16. And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.

17. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Spirit Lord;

18. And yet they are not three Lords but one Lord.

19. For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord;

20. So are we forbidden by the catholic religion to say; There are three Gods or three Lords.

21. The Father is made of none, neither created nor begotten.

22. The Son is of the Father alone; not made nor created, but begotten.

23. The Holy Spirit is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.

24. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Spirit, not three Holy Spirits.

25. And in this Trinity none is afore or after another; none is greater or less than another.

26. But the whole three persons are coeternal, and coequal.

27. So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.

28. He therefore that will be saved must thus think of the Trinity.

29. Furthermore it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe rightly the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

30. For the right faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man.

31. God of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and man of substance of His mother, born in the world.

32. Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.

33. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.

34. Who, although He is God and man, yet He is not two, but one Christ.

35. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of that manhood into God.

36. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by unity of person.

37. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ;

38. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead;

39. He ascended into heaven, He sits on the right hand of the Father, God, Almighty;

40. From thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

41. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies;

42. and shall give account of their own works.

43. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.

44. This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully he cannot be saved. "

Nydhogg

I suppose none is saved, then. That is impossible to believe, the premises often contradict each other.

keypurr

Jesus is the man God sent to show us ther way.

He is the Son of the only God. He is our Lord, made so by his father.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus the Christ.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I beg to differ. Perhaps the Athanasian creed will be helpful:
That and the Chalcedonian Definition, describing the hypostatic union, are two excellent summaries that answer the heresies prevalent at the the time they were formulated and even today.

The hypostatic union (together united in one subsistence and in one single person) is not:

1. a denial that Christ was truly God (Ebionites, Elkasites, Arians);
2. a dissimilar or different substance (anomoios) with the Father (semi-Arianism);
3. a denial that Christ had a genuine human soul (Apollinarians);
4. a denial of a distinct person in the Trinity (Dynamic Monarchianism);
5. God acting merely in the forms of the Son and Spirit (Modalistic Monarchianism/Sabellianism/United Pentecostal Church);
6. a mixture or change when the two natures were united (Eutychianism/Monophysitism);
7. two distinct persons (Nestorianism);
8. a denial of the true humanity of Christ (docetism);
9. a view that God the Son laid aside all or some of His divine attributes (kenoticism);
10. a view that there was a communication of the attributes between the divine and human natures (Lutheranism, with respect to the Lord's Supper); and
11. a view that Jesus existed independently as a human before God entered His body (Adoptionism).

AMR

Nydhogg

What's the difference between Apollinarians and Docetians? Both reject the human nautre. As you describe it, 8 and 3 are the same position.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What's the difference between Apollinarians and Docetians? Both reject the human nautre. As you describe it, 8 and 3 are the same position.
Docetism is Gnostic illusory views, while Apollinarianism draws upon the tripartite theory of man (body, soul, spirit), a view that contradicts Scriptures bipartite view (body, soul). The tripartite view generally leads to heretical or unorthodox views.

Two good summaries:

Docetism:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05070c.htm

Apollinarianism
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01615b.htm

AMR

Last edited:

Sheila B

...not coming back.

...maybe not for you, but he is for me, and not me alone, but for all who long for his appearing...

Jesus is everything good and pure and lovely and honest and worthy of all honor. Jesus is The Kingdom of God here and now and eternally.

Sheila B

Jesus is -

Immanent God, God manifest in this Universe - in human form, and in Spirit, ever faithful, ever loving, and ever selfless, choosing to appear in human form and to suffer and die as a human, and resurrected to show the way to life eternal. Source of all healing, hope, peace, patience, love, kindness, faithfulness, joy, still selflessly manifesting His Holy Presence even in peoples and faiths who do not know Him by name. Comforter, healer, advocate for all peoples, Lord to those who pledge their lives and service to Him, selflessly serving others as He instructed by word and by example.

Amen

wow. ditto.

Amen!

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
What is man qua universal? What is God qua universal?

The idea of man conceived in-itself, that is, "rational animal." The idea of God conceived in-itself, that is to say, "The Supreme Principle."

Conceived in itself, "rational animal" is not "The Supreme Principle."

But is it a contradiction to say that this particular x both is rational animal and The Supreme Principle? I don't think so. There's no contradiction in saying that God can create the world. The Idea of man already exists in God as universal. That is to say, God is the principle of man to start with; otherwise, God couldn't create mankind.

What contradiction is there in saying that God Himself assumes a human nature?

chair

Jesus is dead.
Jesus was an unfortunate first century Jew, who not only was crucified by the Romans (a terrible, but not uncommon fate), but also got turned into a pagan god after his death.

May he rest in peace.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Jesus is dead.
Jesus was an unfortunate first century Jew, who not only was crucified by the Romans (a terrible, but not uncommon fate), but also got turned into a pagan god after his death.

May he rest in peace.

Then you are still in your sins. :nono:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Only in your belief system. Which doesn't concern me.

No, no. Absolutely speaking. You have sinned, and there is a Supremely Just God who demands that you pay an impossible penalty for your sins. If Christ has not risen from the dead, then you have no escape from the burden of your guilt.

You must bear it.
You must bear it alone.
The guilt is unbearable.

The wages of sin is death.

chair

No, no. Absolutely speaking. You have sinned, and there is a Supremely Just God who demands that you pay an impossible penalty for your sins. If Christ has not risen from the dead, then you have no escape from the burden of your guilt.

You must bear it.
You must bear it alone.
The guilt is unbearable.

The wages of sin is death.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

I'm making another thread about it. That said, I don't think that it relies on faith in Christianity to agree with what I'm saying. Do you believe that God is supremely just, that to sin is to break the Moral Law, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.