toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumn_trees37

personally find no issue with marijuana. We live in a society that embraces sexual immorality but gasps at someone smoking a joint. It's insane! We have alcohol and cigarettes on the market, why not add marijuana? We could put outrageous taxes on it and improve the state of our economy. But once it's no longer "forbidden", I doubt people will even want to buy it.

autumn_trees37

I personally find no issue with marijuana. We live in a society that embraces sexual immorality but gasps at someone smoking a joint. It's insane! We have alcohol and cigarettes on the market, why not add marijuana? We could put outrageous taxes on it and improve the state of our economy. But once it's no longer "forbidden", I doubt people will even want to buy it.

Paulos

Is there moderation with marijuana use? I'm not sure. Seems like the only reason for it is the intoxication. Not quite the same with alcohol in moderation, like with dinner, or a glass at night.

Let's say someone does want to get intoxicated on marijuana in the privacy of their own home, on their own time. Why should that be anyone else's business? I would not consider it any of my business, any more than if someone were drinking beer or wine to the point of intoxication in the privacy of their own home.

Thunder's Muse

It would be a shared guilt, not a buck to pass. It still costs all of us $1000 a year in taxes so we are all paying for it whether we like it or not.
We as a nation are trying to trim down substance abuse, not add to it.

Is there moderation with marijuana use? I'm not sure. Seems like the only reason for it is the intoxication. Not quite the same with alcohol in moderation, like with dinner, or a glass at night.

So, why have a glass of alcohol at night? To relax you, right? It seems to me, that even 1 glass of alcohol does have some intoxicating results, even if a mild one. Using the alcohol to change your mood, frame of mind and level of relaxation.

Hhhmm...sounds an awful lot like a quick cone to me....

Yes, there is moderate marijuana use, just like there is moderate alcohol consumption :)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Is there moderation with marijuana use? I'm not sure.

Well this goes a long way towards clearing something up.

You don't know what you're talking about, so that simplifies things.

The stereotype of a couch-bound pothead incapable of movement or intellectual pursuit is just that: a foolish and inaccurate stereotype.

Seems like the only reason for it is the intoxication.

How nice. And I'm sure the folks who have to vomit after chemo, or others who struggle through each day in other forms of agony, thank you for preventing them from feeling better.:rolleyes:

Not quite the same with alcohol in moderation, like with dinner, or a glass at night.

It can be and often is. So, again, your biggest problem seems to be plain old ignorance and stereotypical thinking.

Reefer Madness wasn't exactly a documentary, y'know.

some other dude

Don't do drugs! :mmph: There, that's playing the topic bit safely enough.

My nephew does drugs every day - morning, noon and night. It defines his whole life. And get this - his mother encourages it! She not only encourages it, she insists on it! And when he doesn't get his needle he gets shaky and irritable!

Darned insulin junkie!

some other dude

I have read through the whole thread (slow day at work today :) ) and I see no strong argument for the immorality of the act of smoking marijuana.

Yes, it is illegal and there are immoral implications to breaking the law and supporting criminal activity (directly or indirectly). But any immorality disappears if it is made legal, so the act alone is not fundamentally immoral - the act coupled with the illegality of the act is immoral. It could as easily be argued that criminalization of drug use is immoral.

And yes, many people are unable to behave responsibly with regard to this act. But many are. So it appears that any problems lie with the individual and their self control or lack thereof and that any immorality considerations lie within self control issues.

To consider the issue of whether it is immoral to "alter consciousness" or "change your reality" - the same general effects (not the exact same) can be achieved by running a marathon, eating a big turkey dinner, drinking water after becoming dehydrated or taking a nap. Looks like that argument's a non-starter too.

Did I miss any?

student_ad_x

To consider the issue of whether it is immoral to "alter consciousness" or "change your reality" - the same general effects (not the exact same) can be achieved by running a marathon, eating a big turkey dinner, drinking water after becoming dehydrated or taking a nap. Looks like that argument's a non-starter too.

Did I miss any?
Herbal Tea (Chamomile). :D

PyramidHead

My favorite argument is when people say 'you can have only a glass of wine but when you smoke weed you have to smoke a bunch' as if it's impossible to, say, buy one of the many one-hitters available in freakin' gas stations.

My second favorite argument is 'I knew this guy who smoked and it made him go crazy'. Oh please. I work at a bar :plain:

Lon

Well this goes a long way towards clearing something up.

You don't know what you're talking about, so that simplifies things.

The stereotype of a couch-bound pothead incapable of movement or intellectual pursuit is just that: a foolish and inaccurate stereotype.

How nice. And I'm sure the folks who have to vomit after chemo, or others who struggle through each day in other forms of agony, thank you for preventing them from feeling better.:rolleyes:

It can be and often is. So, again, your biggest problem seems to be plain old ignorance and stereotypical thinking.

Reefer Madness wasn't exactly a documentary, y'know.
No, no. It was a question, none of them statements. I wanted to know.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No, no. It was a question, none of them statements. I wanted to know.

A question spoken out of very typical American ignorance, unfortunately. The answer's real simple: yes, it is more than possible to smoke pot in moderation. It happens all the time.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A question spoken out of very typical American ignorance, unfortunately. The answer's real simple: yes, it is more than possible to smoke pot in moderation.
What are you, French? :D :french:
It happens all the time.
Sure, but the point is always to get a buzz of one degree or another. It's the singular reason to smoke.

:smokie:

:dizzy:

:freak:

:smack:

:rip:

Reefer madness...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The same applies to alcohol though TH, to one degree or another....

Well, no, not necessarily. You can drink alcohol to good effect without impairment of any discernible degree and many enjoy its flavor with a meal or on its own similarly. Also, a moderate amount, insufficient for any appreciable intoxication, has beneficial health benefits among at least the male population.

:cheers:

Arthur Brain

Well, no, not necessarily. You can drink alcohol to good effect without impairment of any discernible degree and many enjoy its flavor with a meal or on its own similarly. Also, a moderate amount, insufficient for any appreciable intoxication, has beneficial health benefits among at least the male population.

Well similarly one might appreciate the barely discernible effects of one or two tokes on a spliff and enjoy the flavour of it as well. Ok, I appreciate that most people don't smoke without the aim of a buzz to some degree, but then most people drink in order to get the same, even if it's just to 'wind down' and have a mild relaxing 'hit' as oppose to getting 'sloshed'.

Lon

Well similarly one might appreciate the barely discernible effects of one or two tokes on a spliff and enjoy the flavour of it as well. Ok, I appreciate that most people don't smoke without the aim of a buzz to some degree, but then most people drink in order to get the same, even if it's just to 'wind down' and have a mild relaxing 'hit' as oppose to getting 'sloshed'.

I would disagree along with TH here. I'm not much of a drinker at all, and on the annual occassion I do, it is usually with a meal at a restaurant. The meal tends to block any effect of one dark beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.