toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This really boils down to either favoring governmental control over very personal and ultimately harmless behavior or allowing folks the liberty and ability to make decisions for themselves.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's if 'governmental control' is your god.
On the other hand
compared to any rcc member, any atheist is a saint.
i.e. if an rcc member smokes anything at all, he is immoral by def.
but
if a martyr smokes anything(plant) at all, he is still moral by def.
What does it cure? :plain: (no, Granite, boredom isn't a disease.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nothing........ neither does Vicodin (nor Percocet) cure the source of chronic pain; nor atavan cure the source of anxiety/depression....... only the quality of living life is improved. :D

I would have accepted: ham. :plain:

:wave2: stux, I was mostly aiming that at jeff's habit of starting cryptic threads about curatives that never quite make it into the posts. :eek:

bybee

See, I have lots of moments of feeling emotionally out of control. I don't drink alcohol, so I don't see anything wrong with occasionally having a smoke of mary jane, to give myself a break from the emotional rollercoaster.

Sounds like my Mum.

You are a good person. I believe you choose wisely for yourself.
The rollercoaster is scary at times. Blessings, pat

Lon

Yes, it is immoral...

Over 1000 people die every day during illegal drug related encounters.
-about 10% die in drug trafficking conflict
Close to 80% of drug trafficking is marijuana.

It costs 66 billion for our nation to address illegal drug use ($1000 a year for every man woman and child).
-Using any illegal substance is paying for the deaths of those caught in trafficking (the traffickers, by-standers, law-enforcement).
-the drugs have blood all over it, drug users are paying for murder
that's immoral

-Using any illegal substance contributes to the tax burden against it
taking money from people to support a habit is immoral

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, it is immoral...

-Using any illegal substance is paying for the deaths of those caught in trafficking (the traffickers, by-standers, law-enforcement).
-the drugs have blood all over it, drug users are paying for murder
that's immoral

-Using any illegal substance contributes to the tax burden against it
taking money from people to support a habit is immoral

You don't seem to consider that this violence comes from an illegal, abusive, and totalitarian drug war. Prohibition always makes fortunes for criminals.

Also if you're growing the stuff on your own property, you're not exactly blood-handed.

Paulos

Prohibition always makes fortunes for criminals.

The prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s was a massive economic boon for organized crime. All of the societal problems that prohibition was supposed to solve (drunkenness, crime, etc) actually became worse under prohibition. Things got so bad that the people reversed themselves and re-legalized alcohol in 1933.

You'd think we'd apply the same lesson to marijuana--especially since marijuana is, by virtually any standard of measure, less harmful than alcohol--but hypocrites never learn.

It has been said that the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again while expecting a different result. By that definition, America's drug policy is insane. We have not learned to apply the lessons of prohibition to the drug war.

Paulos

Hi Lon, there was a time when I agreed with the position you currently hold, but I changed my mind upon a closer examination of the truth. What's really immoral here is that marijuana is illegal in the first place. We learned our lesson with alcohol, but refuse to do the same with marijuana--all of which is very strange considering that alcohol is a far more dangerous substance than marijuana. Far more violence, disease and death is caused every year by alcohol abuse than is cause by marijuana--even when you factor in the violence of dealers/gangs, caused by marijuana's illegality. According to the US Department of Justice, alcohol is a factor in about 40% of violent crimes. Alcohol is known to fuel aggression and violence among users. By contrast, marijuana relaxes the user. Any crime or violence that can currently be connected to marijuana stems exclusively from the fact that it is illegal. Make it legal, and put its production and distribution into the hands of law-abiding citizens where it belongs, and those problems will go away.

The case for legalizing marijuana is even more blatant when marijuana is compared with tobacco. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, tobacco smoke is so toxic that:

"Cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined."​

A large contributor to tobacco's ill health effects stems from the fact that tobacco is radioactive. Every time someone smokes a cigarette, they are giving themselves a dose of radiation. Over time, this radiation builds up, and it cannot be removed. The end result for many cigarette smokers is cancer, among other diseases. By contrast, mj does not have these radioactive properties. Although it is still unhealthy to inhale smoke of any kind, mj smoking does not cause diseases such as cancer that are typical among tobacco users:

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection

So there you have it. Marijuana is non-toxic (impossible to induce fatality by overdose), does not spur aggressive or violent behavior in its users, does not cause cancer or other deadly diseases, and is largely non-addictive (in most users).

The bottom line is that it is not immoral to smoke marijuana, but it is immoral to make marijuana illegal. Such laws are unjust and hypocritical to say the least, and should be repealed immediately.

Lon

Hi Lon, there was a time when I agreed with the position you currently hold, but I changed my mind upon a closer examination of the truth. What's really immoral here is that marijuana is illegal in the first place. We learned our lesson with alcohol, but refuse to do the same with marijuana--all of which is very strange considering that alcohol is a far more dangerous substance than marijuana. Far more violence, disease and death is caused every year by alcohol abuse than is cause by marijuana--even when you factor in the violence of dealers/gangs, caused by marijuana's illegality. According to the US Department of Justice, alcohol is a factor in about 40% of violent crimes. Alcohol is known to fuel aggression and violence among users. By contrast, marijuana relaxes the user. Any crime or violence that can currently be connected to marijuana stems exclusively from the fact that it is illegal. Make it legal, and put its production and distribution into the hands of law-abiding citizens where it belongs, and those problems will go away.

The case for legalizing marijuana is even more blatant when marijuana is compared with tobacco. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, tobacco smoke is so toxic that:
"Cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined."
A large contributor to tobacco's ill health effects stems from the fact that tobacco is radioactive. Every time someone smokes a cigarette, they are giving themselves a dose of radiation. Over time, this radiation builds up, and it cannot be removed. The end result for many cigarette smokers is cancer, among other diseases. By contrast, mj does not have these radioactive properties. Although it is still unhealthy to inhale smoke of any kind, mj smoking does not cause diseases such as cancer that are typical among tobacco users:

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection

So there you have it. Marijuana is non-toxic (impossible to induce fatality by overdose), does not spur aggressive or violent behavior in its users, does not cause cancer or other deadly diseases, and is largely non-addictive (in most users).

The bottom line is that it is not immoral to smoke marijuana, but it is immoral to make marijuana illegal. Such laws are unjust and hypocritical to say the least, and should be repealed immediately.
It would be a shared guilt, not a buck to pass. It still costs all of us $1000 a year in taxes so we are all paying for it whether we like it or not.
We as a nation are trying to trim down substance abuse, not add to it.

Is there moderation with marijuana use? I'm not sure. Seems like the only reason for it is the intoxication. Not quite the same with alcohol in moderation, like with dinner, or a glass at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.