toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Have you ever made a stout? I MUCH prefer thick, heavy stouts that you can't see through. Ever tried anything like that at home?

I had an outstanding oatmeal stout last week during lunch at a local brewery. Their milk stout is black as night and smooth as silk.:cheers:

elohiym

There are two standards of drunkenness. One being God's standard (He knows when you're not alert and under self control).

How many beers do you think you can consume before you become less alert and lose "self control?"

As soon as you use the term "self control" in relation to "God's standard" you enter the territory of flesh boasting.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I had an outstanding oatmeal stout last week during lunch at a local brewery. Their milk stout is black as night and smooth as silk.:cheers:

Knight introduced me to Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. It is excellent.

My prevailing favorite, though, is Sierra Nevada Stout. I also like Guinness Extra Stout. But as far as oatmeal stouts go, I've only tried Sam Smith's. Know of any other good ones to try?

elohiym

Have you ever made a stout? I MUCH prefer thick, heavy stouts that you can't see through. Ever tried anything like that at home?

No, but I've wanted to; they're strong, like 8%. My beer, I figure, is around 5%. Stouts require roasting, an added step. One day, I imagine.

I've also wanted to make a lager, but I don't have a cellar that would maintain the cool temperature required. Since I brew mine in my home office I'm subject to its temperature, which is perfect for making the white wheat beer I've made (this time of year).

What makes the wheat beer great, in the Belgian tradition, is coriander and orange peel. That's what gives Blue Moon its great taste.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are two standards of drunkenness. One being God's standard (He knows when you're not alert and under self control).

The other would be man's laws.

(I'm thinking that this guy would qualify under both):

drunk-man-in-urinal.jpg

I'm sensing someone loves his booze quite a bit; getting a bit defensive are we elo?

Lol! People who drink themselves sick are just plain stupid. They don't have A life. I have never understood the pleasure people get out of deliberately making themselves sick.

elohiym

Having kissed the porcelain goddess several times in my salad days, I can say that I never intended to wake up with her.

SovereigntyIsGods

That's too bad. I always drink with the intention of getting a buzz and loosing up. Is that what you mean by drunk? :idunno:

Are basing any of that on scripture? If so, what scriptures support your view? :idunno:

Yes that is what i mean by drunk. There are a ton of scriptures that speak of avoiding false pleasures. I can assure you that getting a buzz is not a righteous pleasure.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Nope. Getting yourself stone drunk to escape responsibility is.

I enjoy a beer at bedtime. I never drink more than one. Or I'll have a glass of wine with a nice meal.

You hit it right on the head of the proverbial nail Kett: "a" beer or "a" glass of wine.

While the tolerance level for people varies, we have responsibilites as Christians to stay sober and alert, both for God and our fellow man.

Think of the numerous emergency situations that could arise where you would need to be clear headed in order to handle them properly.

elohiym

Yes that is what i mean by drunk. There are a ton of scriptures that speak of avoiding false pleasures. I can assure you that getting a buzz is not a righteous pleasure.

The LORD speaking of the tithe said:

De 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household...

So is it okay when God tells you that you can get a buzz?

And now you should define "false pleasures," too. I have no idea what you mean by that. It appears you just heap subjective standard upon personal subjective standard while believing that you meet the standard.

elohiym

While the tolerance level for people varies, we have responsibilites as Christians to stay sober and alert, both for God and our fellow man.

Why do YOU drink, if not to get a buzz? :idunno:

Think of the numerous emergency situations that could arise where you would need to be clear headed in order to handle them properly.

If you feel that way then you should never drink at all. It would be better than boasting in your flesh as you appear to be doing now.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, but I've wanted to; they're strong, like 8%. My beer, I figure, is around 5%. Stouts require roasting, an added step. One day, I imagine.

I've also wanted to make a lager, but I don't have a cellar that would maintain the cool temperature required. Since I brew mine in my home office I'm subject to its temperature, which is perfect for making the white wheat beer I've made (this time of year).

What makes the wheat beer great, in the Belgian tradition, is coriander and orange peel. That's what gives Blue Moon its great taste.

There is always the liquor store, or full service grocery store.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Lol! People who drink themselves sick are just plain stupid. They don't have A life. I have never understood the pleasure people get out of deliberately making themselves sick.
It can sneak up on you, too, though.

Lessons:

1. Never ingest too much citric acid, ever. So certainly do not get drunk on drinks with citric acid: Screwdrivers
  2. Never eat certain foods after you are already drunk: Pizza
Those are the only two times I have ever gotten sick while drinking. And I have never had a hangover.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Why do YOU drink, if not to get a buzz? :idunno:

Because the pinball machine that I'm standing at won't operate unless a cold beer is next to it. However, after "a" beer (and usually some food to go along with it) I am able to drive a motor vehicle, and react to any emergency situation that might arise.

If you feel that way then you should never drink at all. It would be better than boasting in your flesh as you appear to be doing now.

Here's a prime example of being alert, so that you cannot only follow God's Word, but be there for your fellow man:

Several years ago a person I knew told me about his fight with alcoholism. He had been a "functioning alcoholic", someone that could drink himself into a drunken stupor every night, yet not miss a day of work in his entire life.

The problem was, he didn't "function" well at home. While passed out somewhere in his house, his middle aged wife, a wonderful woman who never touched a drop of alcohol, made the mistake of tripping on the stairs to their basement, and fell, breaking her arm.

For several hours her cries of agony weren't heard, as she layed helplessly on the basement floor. A family member returned home to find her there, and medical assistance was called.

After that day, the man never drank another drop.

elohiym

Because the pinball machine that I'm standing at won't operate unless a cold beer is next to it. However, after "a" beer (and usually some food to go along with it) I am able to drive a motor vehicle, and react to any emergency situation that might arise.

Do you drink beer to get a buzz? Yes or no.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Only those 'works' people think they can save themselves by not drinking, as if the lord Himself was a bigger sinner. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.