toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Architect

Not that I give my 3 year old alcohol, but why is it wrong for parents to let a 15 year old drink white wine at Thanksgiving? I never did that one etiher, but have seen it, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Or with kids shooting guns.

Personally, I don't think it's good for parents to allow their underage children to drink, even under supervision or whatever... On an extremely fundamental level, it's teaching them they can break the law so long as law enforcement isn't aware... Maybe that's not what all children would conclude, but it's one of those things where if it's ok with mom and dad, maybe it's ok with my closest friends, and so forth.

On kids shooting guns, the same applies - I say it's fine so long as it's legal. I think that varies per location. I've heard some firing ranges allow kids 16 years old to fire without their parent/guardian. Others I've heard really young children (6 years?) being allowed to shoot so long as their parent/guardian is present and closely supervising. If your local laws allow young kids to shoot with adult supervision, cool. Ultimately, it's not a huge deal to me. But I would prefer to teach my kids the importance of following the rules.

Maybe I'm being too dogmatic?

Josh

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wasn't asking about legal. It is legal to dismember your unborn child. I was asking if it was wrong.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
OP: Romans 14 it. Its a sin for some, but not for others. Those who aren't responsible enough to consume in moderation shouldn't judge those who are. BUT those who can drink in moderation must be respectful of other's weakness.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
If I were to meet half of the TOL'ers in person, drinking alcohol would be a "must".

21_Crying_Into_My_Beer.JPG

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Are you even old enough to drink?

Is that you? I thought you were a scrawny, wimpy 13 year old. Are you instead a scrawny, wimpy 30-something? Or is that your dad?

Being that you flunked "Gender Identity 101" in college, I would suggest that you figure out your own life (start by sticking to the gender you were born with) before you belittle others.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:wave: Me.. me!

Have any aged asiago cheese?

The Pinot Grigio/Asiago cheese combo has lasted for at least a couple of years now, I see. I'm eager for the day when Lisa and I can join you and yours for round 2. :cheers:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Being that you flunked "Gender Identity 101" in college, I would suggest that you figure out your own life (start by sticking to the gender you were born with) before you belittle others.

That's not a college course, and you would know that had you gone to college. My life is pretty well figured out, btw.

Son of Jack

Perhaps the better question would have been, what is your favorite type of alcoholic beverage? Not that I would ever question the great and powerful Knight.:D

Give me a really good beer.:cheers:

ghost

Hall of Fame
The Pinot Grigio/Asiago cheese combo has lasted for at least a couple of years now, I see. I'm eager for the day when Lisa and I can join you and yours for round 2. :cheers:
New Years Eve 6:00pm, my house. :cheers:

elohiym

...what is your favorite type of alcoholic beverage?

My homemade beer. :up:

When I drink commercial beer, I like Blue Moon...

and plenty of others, too! :D

(But I've been on the wagon for a while now to maintain a low carb diet. :sigh:)

SovereigntyIsGods

I have heard some folks say that was just grape juice. What do you think of that assertion?

I believe it was legitimate wine. And probably of good quality at that. I've read that they drank wine regularly because their water was unclean.

I think to drink with the purpose of getting drunk is definitely a sin. I would also say that do drink casually is a sin, because it is unnecessary. I do believe wine should be taken in Communion though.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
My homemade beer. :up:

When I drink commercial beer, I like Blue Moon...

and plenty of others, too! :D

(But I've been on the wagon for a while now to maintain a low carb diet. :sigh:)

Blue Moon isn't bad but I prefer Drifter. :plain:

Arthur Brain

That's too bad. I always drink with the intention of getting a buzz and loosing up. Is that what you mean by drunk? :idunno:

Are basing any of that on scripture? If so, what scriptures support your view? :idunno:

Good point Elo. How does one define "drunk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.