toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Absolutely prove to me that god is real and the problem will correct itself.

Which actually is the major point for this topic. Without proof of the existence of God, there is no logical argument against homosexuality outside of religion.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Which actually s the major point for this topic. Without proof of the existence of God, there is no logical argument against homosexuality outside of religion.

Sure there is, don't you know that all gays are sex crazed meth addicts with AIDS?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Nope. I believe it largely is genetic anyway, but if and when this is finally proven, it won't make me re-think the matter.

Seydlitz77

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 16th, 2011 10:12 AM

toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out to be genetic?

Nope still a sin and a part of the natural man that we must deny.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Which actually is the major point for this topic. Without proof of the existence of God, there is no logical argument against homosexuality outside of religion.

"Act only upon that maxim which you at the same time could will to become a universal law."

"Act so as to treat humanity always at the same time as an end in itself, never merely as a means to an end."

"Act always as though you were a law-making member of a kingdom of ends."

Bonus points if anyone knows what I'm quoting.

genuineoriginal

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I just said.

Okay, let's examing the argument.

A person's genes determine whether someone is a shegetz or not.
Your argument is that killing a person just because they are a shegetz is not defensible.
We can both agree with that statement.

The topic of the thread is about whether a person's genes determine whether the person is a tukhusshtuper or a mensch.

I am sure that we can both agree that killing a person just because they are a mensch is not defensible (see account of Cain and Abel), regardless of whether being a mensch is a genetic condition (like being a shegetz).

So the question is whether you are claiming that killing a tukhusshtuper like Jeffrey Dahmer is not defensible solely because being a tukhusshtuper is genetic condition (like being a shegetz)?

genuineoriginal

"Act only upon that maxim which you at the same time could will to become a universal law."

"Act so as to treat humanity always at the same time as an end in itself, never merely as a means to an end."

I Kant say.

Granite

Hall of Fame
A person's genes determine whether someone is a shegetz or not.

Depends on how you're using that particular word, don'tcha think? (Remember, my mom's family is Jewish.) And frankly that goes for the rest of your post.

Killing someone because of who and what they are at birth is indefensible. And considering the ethnic angle you're taking here, this should be incredibly obvious to you.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
No. Fallen man is subject and predisposed to all manner of corruption, genetics notwithstanding.

"My genes made me do it" will never be a suitable defense.

AMR

Ditto. :plain:

Doesn't make much difference in my view of it. Personally, I find the argument that "it's not natural" to be silly. A perusal of the animal kingdom will show you that it most certainly is.

"Nature" has been corrupted just as much as man has.

I've used this quote before, even though it's not Scripture; in my view it's quite Scriptural.

"Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above."

-Rose Sayer (as portrayed by Katharine Hepburn)
-The African Queen

Buzzword

Nope.
No matter what the cause, it's none of my business what goes on in other people's hearts or the bedrooms of consenting adults.

Plus I think it's a little grandiose to try blaming all of American society's many problems on the relationship choices of part of the population.

Kinda like how the KKK tried to present interracial marriage as the cause of the breakdown of the nuclear family.
...wait. Sound familiar, don't it?

some other dude

Some guy who spent his life chewing mental bubble gum?

genuineoriginal

Depends on how you're using that particular word, don'tcha think? (Remember, my mom's family is Jewish.) And frankly that goes for the rest of your post.

Killing someone because of who and what they are at birth is indefensible. And considering the ethnic angle you're taking here, this should be incredibly obvious to you.

I knew your Jewish background would allow you to understand the words I used.

My point is that a person can't use genetic predisposition as an excuse for not being a mensch, so the "genetic defense" does not apply to learned behaviors and personal choices.