toldailytopic: Do you believe mankind is causing global warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It is worse than that. His point is that the surface of the water must be measured from the lowest point in a body of water.

If you care what people think of your character, you should not lie about what people say.

The observation was that the storm surge added only a tiny fraction to the total depth of the Gulf, but it was that tiny fraction that devastated New Orleans.

By that reasoning, sea level on the west coast of the United States is 36,200 ft., while sea level on the east coast of the United States is 28,231 ft., and the sea level at New Orleans is only 5,299 ft.

Only if you're dumb enough to assume that the sea bottom on all of them is at the same level. By definition, sea level is zero. Depth is listed in negative numbers, and elevations in positive numbers. C'mon, you surely must know what your behavior looks like to honest people.

His argument is so ridiculous that there is nothing left to do but Barbarian.

As noted before. When you realize you lost the argument, you get upset and call names. It's how we know you know you lost.

Next time, take the time to learn about it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So it existed for a few years, had very little trade volume and then ceased to exist, hardly the compelling interest that would drive the climate change debate.

They seem to be only interested in the ways one might make money off the problem. Which is O.K. with me, but when they start demanding that reality fit their preferences, they're lost it.

genuineoriginal

If you care what people think of your character, you should not lie about what people say.
I am not lying about what you said, anyone can look back at your posts and see that you are measuring sea level at New Orleans from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, despite my repeated attempts to get you to correct yourself.
The observation was that the storm surge added only a tiny fraction to the total depth of the Gulf, but it was that tiny fraction that devastated New Orleans.
And, once again, you prove that I was not lying. You are still measuring sea level at New Orleans from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.
:loser:

Only if you're dumb enough to assume that the sea bottom on all of them is at the same level.
You are the one measuring sea level from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

By definition, sea level is zero. Depth is listed in negative numbers, and elevations in positive numbers. .
That is what I have been saying. So, a change of .0004 in the sea level at New Orleans had no effect. Your example did nothing towards making your point, so you should have switched to one that could. You were arguing that a change of 100 ppm in CO2 can have large effects, which is the Butterfly Effect argument. To support this, you assumed you were making a Butterfly Effect argument about the waves that flooded New Orleans, but were not able to make a valid connection between the depth of the Gulf of Mexico and the height of the waves above sea level. The problem with your argument is that the waves that flooded New Orleans were caused by the high winds of Hurricane Katrina.
Your point could have been better argued if you had used the earthquake that caused the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. In that case, the 30 cubic kilometers of water displaced by the earthquake was piled up by the slope of the seabed along the coast of the Indian Ocean. The result was that a 2 foot wave in deep water became an 80-100 foot wave when it struck land.

C'mon, you surely must know what your behavior looks like to honest people..

As noted before. When you realize you lost the argument, you get upset and call names. It's how we know you know you lost.

Next time, take the time to learn about it.
I look like someone that tried to correct your error several times and found you were unwilling to use reason.

I expected better from you. I have seen you use reason and research with aplomb, but, on this issue, you put your foot in your mouth.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I am not lying about what you said

I'm happy to let anyone who cares to check decide if you honestly characterized my statements. You got a little careless with the truth; you got caught. Learn from it and go on.

And since you've abandoned your argument on CO2, I think we're done here, unless you want to call me some more names.

genuineoriginal

I'm happy to let anyone who cares to check decide if you honestly characterized my statements. You got a little careless with the truth; you got caught. Learn from it and go on.

And since you've abandoned your argument on CO2, I think we're done here, unless you want to call me some more names.
:rotfl: Your spin doesn't work.

As far as CO2 goes, we still do not have enough for decent plant yields.
I would love to see the crops grown with a CO2 concentration of 1,125 ppm.
If the global warming theorists are correct, the accelerated crop yields and extended growing season would end world hunger.
Who cares if Al Gore thinks polar bears cannot swim.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
As far as CO2 goes, we still do not have enough for decent plant yields.

Well, let's take a look...

The biggest surprise from the study was the discovery that elevated carbon dioxide only stimulated plant growth when nitrogen, water and temperature were kept at normal levels.

"Based on earlier single-treatment studies with elevated CO2, we initially hypothesized that, with the combination of all four treatments together, the response would be additional growth," said W. Rebecca Shaw, a researcher with the Nature Conservancy of California and lead author of the Science study.

But results from the third year of the experiment revealed a more complex scenario. While treatments involving increased temperature, nitrogen deposition or precipitation – alone or in combination – promoted plant growth, the addition of elevated CO2 consistently dampened those increases.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/12/021206075233.htm

And:

At first glance this may seem counter-intuitive, since CO2 stimulates plant growth in several basic crop species such as wheat and rice, cereals that supply the bulk of calories for most of the world's poor.

But the nutritional value of these potentially bumper yields is unlikely to improve because extra CO2 is often converted into carbohydrates such as starch, meaning that the relative levels of other components may fall. For example, the 20 per cent or so rise in atmospheric CO2 since 1960 may have already caused a significant decline (5–10 per cent) in protein concentration in wheat flour.

And a recent study, by researchers in Southwestern University, Texas, of major food crops including barley, wheat, soya bean and potato, reveals a significant decline (10–15 per cent) in protein content if atmospheric CO2 reaches 540–960 parts per million — a range anticipated by the middle to end of this century.

In addition to 'diluting' protein levels, rising CO2 levels may reduce water flow through a crop plant, affecting the uptake of micronutrients from the soil, lowering concentrations of key nutrients such as sulphur, magnesium, iron, zinc and manganese.

http://oilprice.com/Environment/Global-Warming/The-Impact-Climate-Change-has-on-Food-Supplies.html

The one positive change would be that plants use slightly less water when there are high CO2 concentrations.

I would love to see the crops grown with a CO2 concentration of 1,125 ppm.

Not if nutrition was your goal.

If the global warming theorists are correct, the accelerated crop yields and extended growing season would end world hunger.

Surprise.

Who cares if Al Gore thinks polar bears cannot swim.

You guys are really obsessed with Gore, um?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Nah, he is just the poster child for inventing the internet Global Warming Climate Change.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

-- Vice President Al Go

Yep. Obsessed. With a second-rate politician. Apparently, it makes him unable to think rationally. Poor fellah.

genuineoriginal

Yep. Obsessed. With a second-rate politician. Apparently, it makes him unable to think rationally. Poor fellah.

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

-- Vice President Al Gore
"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 5/22/98

zoo22

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

-- Vice President Al Gore
"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 5/22/98

Are you sure about that?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Stipe and Genuine on You Tube. :cool:

And since Genuine has backed away from the issue on CO2, and has decided it's safer to make fun of Algore, I think my work is done here.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think my work is done here.
Don't forget to close the door on your way out. It's cold. :wave2:

Yep, when your opponents resort to namecalling and no argument, you win.
You "win" because you refuse to engage honestly in any discussion.

In fact, you don't even engage.

You "win" because you completely ignore that which is simply and clearly presented and is an actual challenge to what you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.