TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
are you tracking overall number of posts?

I think it is really down

just over 30 posts for the day at 7:30am
and
ten of them are mine
I always take a look at the general numbers, but I haven't tracked them. My sense is that they're down. Registered users and guests. Might be seasonal. I know it cycles, but it feels like we've been trending incrementally in the wrong direction for a while, say the last five or six months.

Alexa has us down by about 15%. We're not showing up on its charts in more particular because we've fallen under 100k. When I checked in mostly in times past we were charting. So for whatever reason the change is significant enough to put us in that poor light. Hopefully a cycle.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So I'm probably winding down the Cub Reporter series. I don't think I'll have much time for it over the next year. It was an interesting run.

Final report on the Cubs

2013:
Views: 10,651
AvPP: 55.2

2014:
Views: 10,130
AvPP: 60.7

2015:
Views: 9,660
AvPP: 60

Didn't have as much time for it in the latter part of this year and without the race reports it dropped off a bit, but it was never meant to be more than an observation a few might take to heart or find amusing.

And so it goes.

Lon

I always take a look at the general numbers, but I haven't tracked them. My sense is that they're down. Registered users and guests. Might be seasonal. I know it cycles, but it feels like we've been trending incrementally in the wrong direction for a while, say the last five or six months.

Alexa has us down by about 15%. We're not showing up on its charts in more particular because we've fallen under 100k. When I checked in mostly in times past we were charting. So for whatever reason the change is significant enough to put us in that poor light. Hopefully a cycle.

Well, when Sheriff Delmar stepped down....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder to what extent the dwindling member visits are the result of indifferent ownership, tolerated trolling, and inequitable moderating.
Just speculation, but I've said for a while the abandoning of a number of traditions here has led to a dimming of the feeling of community I noticed in my early years. The thing that in no small part rooted me as a participant.

I noticed it when we stopped bothering with the mind your manners week, which I thought had been a great idea. Can't recall now what it was officially called. I think it was readily apparent when what had been a big deal and generally exciting for the membership, the end of the year awards, became a hand-off and a great deal of what had been celebrated wasn't even part of the consideration. We once had posts of the year and posters and the HOF bit at the end and some build up and discussion between, etc.

Did we even have a HOF induction this year?

Not knocking the efforts of those who put the bare bones together after, but it just isn't the same. I never minded seeing an essentially all Soots top tier, but Knight had a way of rewarding and recognizing those outside of the power structure that worked. And once in a blue moon you had a TM. Now those on the outside aren't even getting the table scraps...another unfortunate trend here, along with an increase in trolling and allowance, provided.

It's made the place, to my mind, markedly less welcoming to anyone with an outside the inner circle viewpoint, which is a death knell for growth or even holding numbers, given how much of TOL has always been comprised of disparate understanding and position.

Now some of it may simply be a changing landscape. We live in the days of the Twitterverse. The attention span it takes to become a member of an online community and the inclination may be subsiding. For all I know this is a wider trend and it wouldn't surprise me to find that the case.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I wonder to what extent the dwindling member visits are the result of indifferent ownership, tolerated trolling, and inequitable moderating.

I wonder to what extent the dwindling member visits are the result of whining by whiners like you and artie and zoo etc.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wonder to what extent the dwindling member visits are the result of whining by whiners like you and artie and zoo etc.
I wonder to what extent the dwindling member visits are the result of whining by whiners like you.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Just speculation, but I've said for a while the abandoning of a number of traditions here has led to a dimming of the feeling of community I noticed in my early years. The thing that in no small part rooted me as a participant.

I noticed it when we stopped bothering with the mind your manners week, which I thought had been a great idea. Can't recall now what it was officially called. I think it was readily apparent when what had been a big deal and generally exciting for the membership, the end of the year awards, became a hand-off and a great deal of what had been celebrated wasn't even part of the consideration. We once had posts of the year and posters and the HOF bit at the end and some build up and discussion between, etc.

Did we even have a HOF induction this year?

Not knocking the efforts of those who put the bare bones together after, but it just isn't the same. I never minded seeing an essentially all Soots top tier, but Knight had a way of rewarding and recognizing those outside of the power structure that worked. And once in a blue moon you had a TM. Now those on the outside aren't even getting the table scraps...another unfortunate trend here, along with an increase in trolling and allowance, provided.

It's made the place, to my mind, markedly less welcoming to anyone with an outside the inner circle viewpoint, which is a death knell for growth or even holding numbers, given how much of TOL has always been comprised of disparate understanding and position.

Now some of it may simply be a changing landscape. We live in the days of the Twitterverse. The attention span it takes to become a member of an online community and the inclination may be subsiding. For all I know this is a wider trend and it wouldn't surprise me to find that the case.

slong as we still get Chys's awards there is hope....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Number of ok doser threads I've posted in: 1.
Total posts: 4

Number of posts by ok doser in Quixote's alone and by that username alone: 68

Get the picture? If not, here it is:

picture.php

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Number of ok doser threads I've posted in: 1.
Total posts: 4

Number of posts by ok doser in Quixote's alone and by that username alone: 68

Get the picture? If not, here it is:

from your OP in town quixote, with appropriate bolding:
Come in. Some of you will be finding this via the breadcrumb link left in Observations. It's natural to wonder if this is going to be the same thread under a new address. I hope not. What I mean is that I have a somewhat different vision for this one.

It will be a little like what you remember, the odd digest, a few original bits of humor when I can find a minute, but I hope it will also be more of the sort of place where people can have conversation, not debate, and say hello and stretch their legs, tell a joke, talk about something they've read or watched or noodled.

The digest? It will contain more funny aimed at issue and less at issuer. If you want we can discuss it, the threads I link to or the general subject.

I may theme the days, menu style at some point. I'm open to creative ideas from any of you that are constructive and positive. I don't want any personal attacks in this thread. We can differ so long as our differences are on the subject and the subject isn't the poster. :D

We won't have a whine list. :nono:

Anyway, I wanted a place for people to stop in and talk about anything they think the rest of us might find interesting without having to commit to a thread to do it. So pull up a chair and look over the menu. Who knows where that will take you?

Welcome to Quixote's.

Please omit graphic interjections without permission of the management. Thank you.

excuse me for thinking you were serious

theophilus

Things I've noticed in the last week:

The Robins are back a month early. If it gets bitter cold again they're going to starve. Seeing a Robin in the dying shivers is a bummer. And there's no earthworms or any other bug bait at Wal-mart to try and get them through it.

My catnip is still growing (a perennial here in Dixieland). It never died from last summer. ???

My young maples have 1/4" buds already. Hope they don't freeze off.

The neighbor's young orange tom-cat has kicked my two neutered males butts enough that my two get along real well now. Orange kitty comes by twice a day for a hand-out (which I give him) but I don't let him in the house anymore. He's too keen on "decorating."

The doves are WAY FAT and the goldfinches are changing colors (molting) into their summer plumage ALREADY (also a month early).

I think it's going to be a hot, hot summer.

:)

Reactions: Lon