sorry about all your top threads being deleted
maybe they don't like you
and
you know how much they like me

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you started a thread about numbers
About an inside look at the numbers. It was never really intended to generate a wide audience. As with most of what I write it was simply something that interested me.

yes, I also started a thread about numbers and it is in the top 50
If you mean your guessing game, that's not really about numbers, is it...any more than a circle word is about vocabulary.

But anyway, top 50 sounds great. Good for you if it gives you satisfaction. In what particular? Views per? Views in general? Posts? If you're going to lean that heavily it would be more interesting to let people know precisely what you're leaning on.

sorry about all your top threads being deleted
They all weren't and I'm not, so don't be distressed on my count. I volunteered most of it. Those threads had served their purpose. Some, like Observations and the Interview thread, a few more, are worth keeping around, but I'm mostly not attached to them.

I think the only one I ever lost and wished I hadn't was the who'd win in a fair fight thread. I thought that was a funny one that should have stuck around, but I hadn't tended it in forever so maybe I was just being nostalgic.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
have you noticed how many check in to see what I am having for lunch?
I know you have nearly 50 times
it may break into the top 50
and
it is less than two years old

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is that thread still going? The one where you talked about having a beer a great deal around noon?

Somehow I doubt that was the point.

it may break into the top 50 and it is less than two years old
Top 50 what? But I suppose this is part of the difference between us. I find the reflection interesting and you're chasing something they can't really give you.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Is that thread still going? The one where you talked about having a beer a great deal around noon?

Somehow I doubt that was the point.

Top 50 what?

actually top 40 views
and
top 60 replies

the official numbers 7-24-15

547 replies
248 my replies
675 days

34 views per day
1 replies per day
42 views per reply
1 reply ratio (others/mine)

you have to be impressed with those numbers

this is about my lunch!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
actually top 40 views
and top 60 replies
Are you breaking that down inside the subset? Because it isn't showing up that way when I look at the leaderboard.

Oh for Pete's sake, chrys. :chuckle: I see what you're doing there. :) Okay, then I have a thread where all I do is post an odd photo or two once in a blue moon that's 18th by views. I closed a thread two years ago that's the second most viewed and is 4th in posts there. Quixote's is in the top five and ten, respectively. And that's just mostly about my highlights.

Now what does any of that mean? Really, the only thing of importance in it is that people get something out of it. I mean, that's what it should be about, right?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anyway, this was the opening post of this thread. I've always found numbers interesting and while I was crunching a few I was happy to find that people who mostly seemed about negativity and sneering about, the trolls and pot stirrers, didn't seem to be numbers generators, unless they attached themselves to a topic like homosexuality and not even always then.

From time to time I'm going to look at various numbers, just for the heck of it and purely for entertainment purposes. Sky inadvertently gave me the idea when she conflated the number of individuals posting in Quixote with its popularity. I noted the number of views and it got me thinking about something else.

So the first snapshot is one I did looking across sky's posts and now carried over across a few others, including myself. This snapshot is as of midnight and setting this thread aside for the purposes of counting...

Eeset
Threads: 100
More than 1000 views: 42
More than 100 posts: 12

chrys
Threads: 100
More than a thousand views: 50
More than 100 posts: 31

AB
Threads: 92
More than 1000 views: 59
More than 100 posts: 24

resurrected
Threads: 46
More than 1000 views: 6
More than 100 posts: 5

TH
Threads: 92
More than 1000 views: 80
More than 100 posts: 41

Though with the purges and all the numbers are all off. For instance...my own.

Threads: 57
More thatn 100 posts: 28
More than 1000 views: 53

shagster01

Anyway, this was the opening post of this thread. I've always found numbers interesting and while I was crunching a few I was happy to find that people who mostly seemed about negativity and sneering about, the trolls and pot stirrers, didn't seem to be numbers generators, unless they attached themselves to a topic like homosexuality and not even always then.

Though with the purges and all the numbers are all off. For instance...my own.

Threads: 57
More thatn 100 posts: 28
More than 1000 views: 53

ooooh, do mine, do mine!

glorydaz

it may break into the top 50
and
it is less than two years old

Yeah, like people read Dear Abby....nothing else to do during the morning brain fog. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, like people read Dear Abby....nothing else to do during the morning brain fog. :chuckle:
I had this thread. Just a goof off thread. Ended up with around three thousand posts. Not earth shattering. A few hundred thousand views.

Chrys posted 152 times in it.

Just a goof around thread. :plain:

Now what?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So I haven't been back in this one in a while. Anything new?

Sure. After the purges and trimming there are nine threads left with over 100K views left on the boards.

Averages?

Observations holds the top spot with around 79 views per post.
Far back and holding second is Town Quixote's, at 57 views per.
Should Homosexuality be given the DP comes in at 48 views per.
Homo Crim Part 3 runs about 44 views per post (part 4 is averaging around 16 views per).
The Good Morning thread is fifth with 37 vpp.
Our Triune God is sixth, at 35 vpp.
Seventh place belongs to Gros M 3, at 26 vpp.
And Keep a Word rounds the group out at 18 vpp, which is more impressive than the average looks given the nature of the game.

Looking at one of my few series threads...I'd already noted with chrys how series tend to peter out over time and decided to look at one of my few personal uses of the notion.

Cub Reporters wrapped in 2013 to 10,323 views, 193 posts and a vpp of around 54.

By 2014 I had trimmed the posts to 167, with views of 9,651 and a vvp of 58. Less being more then, after a viewer fashion.

This year, with a couple of months left, I've been too busy to keep at it much, with a scant 97 posts, but it's managed to draw 7,120 views and a surprising 74 vvp.

I never thought it would be more than a curiosity and a way of keeping track of a thing that might make people more inclined to consider their contributions to it. Not sure it's done the latter, but it has found an audience. So you never know.

Also, kudos to chrys for stabilizing his faux awards franchise, which had been dwindling strongly in each successive year, but appears to have stabilized with a little help from most of the people he aims at. :)

My Momentary Life, while also sporadic in terms of my tending, has fared well, with around 76 vpp, rivaling the Omnibox tv thread (72 vpp) and One Sentence Movie Reviews (70vpp).

I'm going to start looking at a wider distribution of threads at some point, see where the trends in viewership are and make suggestions to those interested in widening the net of general interest in their interests.

Reactions: Lon