TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Irrelevantly--if your numbers are any indicator. As are a good many of the sour pusses. :D

ah, so you were looking for a way to marginalize those that you consider to be "sour pusses"

One of the encouraging things I'm seeing/learning is that the low blow champs, while found everywhere, don't actually tend to generate many posts and don't do especially well ...

ah, so you were looking for a way to marginalize those you consider to be "low blow champs"

It's exactly what I said it is. I wanted to find a way to look at relevance...

What I'm finding is that people who are less interested in mud rolling ...

ah, so you were looking for a way to marginalize those whom you consider to be interested in "mud rolling"

That got me thinking about relevance....

ah, so you were looking for a way to marginalize those who you think lack relevance

In point of fact, what I said was that he and most of the malcontents don't particularly draw on their own.

He is, to my mind, a mostly negative and trivializing poster ...

again, you seeking to smear and marginalize those with whom you disagree

What I found were certain posters, known mostly for negative approach, did poorly....

more of the same

Some people have openly wondered why rpchk, well, the poster hanging that around her neck for a moment, keeps changing usernames. I think that last snapshot may be the answer. In relatively short order people start functionally ignoring her. The thread views dwindle and she reinvents, because people will stop and see what the newbie is up to, what nutalicious ideas she's coating the boards with, at least until they recognize the hand behind the ladle and begin to wander away again.

and more of the same

Cub Reporters was created in January, isn't the sort of thread that is designed to generate posts, given it's essentially a running tally...

not a place for dialogue?

have you informed inzl kett about this?

The Hall of Fame thread turned stupidly contentious and contrary to the point ...

that does seem to happen to a lot of the threads you participate in

Members tend to be attracted to controversy.

town does seem to generate controversy :chuckle:

:think:

isn't that disruptive?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ah, so you were looking for a way to marginalize those that you consider to be "sour pusses"
Leaving off the two year old nature of the post, nothing in that is a reasonable analysis of what I actually wrote, which was to note that people like her and people like you mostly don't matter, live off shock value and by and large can't attract consideration or interest absent shock value. And the attention, on average, paid to your threads speaks to it.

ah, so you were looking for a way to marginalize those you consider to be "low blow champs"
Again the marginalization is self imposed by people who thrive on negativity. Don't blame me for your bannings and low thread totals or need to periodically rename yourself.

That's just the natural consequence of your nature.

again, you seeking to smear and marginalize those with whom you disagree
Smear in the sense that quoting you could be said to do that. :plain:

not a place for dialogue?
Not created with that expectation in mind. It didn't seem to me the sort of subject that would lend itself to that. I've had a conversation or two, like this one, but mostly people seem to want to check in and see who is complaining the most. Or maybe they're checking their own totals...I don't know. I think it has impacted the practice with some and to the good.

that does seem to happen to a lot of the threads you participate in
Get it out. Get it all out. :)

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So, any questions about the numbers?

At some point I'll run deeper analysis for the stat geeks and mildly curious.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It's a twofer with you doing your old thread bit in it, so that's a bit misleading, isn't it.

it looks like town doesn't have anyone to talk to

I think he misses res

he should try talking to himself

at least until res gets back

do you think that would be misleading?

what are you insinuating?

that would be telling

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it looks like town doesn't have anyone to talk to
Don't know why you think that, but I appreciate the concern, understanding the depth of its sincerity.

I think he misses res
Don't ever think of him when he isn't jumping up and down in front of me. Do you think cancer survivors ever miss the tumors? Or do they move their attention to more productive things?

he should try talking to himself

at least until res gets back
No, that would just be sad, wouldn't it?

Or pointless, like rep panhandling, don't you think?

do you think that would be misleading?

what are you insinuating?

that would be telling
Let's just hope at some point its rooted in something rational instead of the bitter and emotional.

I'm sorry you lost the comfort of your friend for a bit. Hang in there.

Anything actually on topic?

How about this: did you know eleven of your hundred threads are currently active (active within the month)? That's pretty darn good.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
now this is positive
Sure. It's in my nature. This is something that won't make any sense to you, but if your pal showed up tomorrow with a positive, constructive attitude that's how I'd meet it.

I think your best thread was a mostly positive one and the response to it was tremendous, over time.

this is not
Ask and you will receive. Don't like the stew? Watch what you're putting into it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I think your best thread was a mostly positive one and the response to it was tremendous, over time.

they deleted it
and
don't you wonder why?
to make space?
look at all the stuff they didn't delete
I can only speculate
don't you love it when I speculate?

there was a lot of stuff in there
I even had it indexed
remember rep war one
and
rep war two
it was all documented
and
easy to find

maybe that had to go

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
they deleted it
Yeah, I hated to see it. I think there were great posts in there and more than a few by a few who aren't around anymore.

and
don't you wonder why?
to make space?
Yeah, I think so. I lost a number of threads I wish I still had and kept a few I'd just as soon as get rid of. If I'd known I'd have happily offered up a lot more than was taken to have kept a few that were.

look at all the stuff they didn't delete
I can only speculate
don't you love it when I speculate?
I don't think there was that much attention on what was cut. I think he probably just took whatever was needed as he came to it and that thread was large. I'd offered Observations for the chopping block if space is ever needed again, though I've asked for a moment to archive it on my end.

there was a lot of stuff in there
I even had it indexed
remember rep war one
and
rep war two
it was all documented
and
easy to find
I do. Again, our flare ups notwithstanding I was sorry to see it gone.

maybe that had to go
I really don't think that went into it, though your relationship with the admin may have led to a lack of consideration. I honestly don't know.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
did you notice that my
it is noon somewhere
has an over 30 to one view to reply ratio?

can't believe that many would be interested in what I am having for lunch

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
did you notice that my
it is noon somewhere
has an over 30 to one view to reply ratio?

can't believe that many would be interested in what I am having for lunch
You never know. My Jack thread is at 486/35,343 and I started it for, literally, about five people to keep track.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:think:

Faux%20Pelini.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is a photoshop of Bo Pelinin, former Nebraska football coach. It is the profile picture of the person whose twitter handle is Faux Pelini

Jedidiah

Have you ever compared long threads with what fraction of the posts are the thread creator's own ?

My thinking: If Bright Raven creates a new thread, and contributes five posts total to a thread that balloons into over 1,000 posts, BR is very efficient in growing really big posts; BR's got potent thread seeds. BR doesn't need to cultivate the threads as much as other long-thread creators/cultivators, where the fraction of their own posts to the thread, constitutes a significant minority or even a majority of the total threads posted.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Have you ever compared long threads with what fraction of the posts are the thread creator's own ?

My thinking: If Bright Raven creates a new thread, and contributes five posts total to a thread that balloons into over 1,000 posts, BR is very efficient in growing really big posts; BR's got potent thread seeds. BR doesn't need to cultivate the threads as much as other long-thread creators/cultivators, where the fraction of their own posts to the thread, constitutes a significant minority or even a majority of the total threads posted.
That's an interesting notion. Of course if a poster limits his thread starts to hot button issues....and there are all sorts of variations. For instance, when considering the averages of threads, views and responses you have to take into account threads that by their nature limit one or more of those.

Take Psalmist, for example. He does a great many birthday threads. Now I think that sort of thing is good for the site, helps promote a sense of community, but the're threads that don't invite as many posts and sometimes views, depending on whose birthday it is.

And some posters generate a lot of looks and not as much commentary, so the intimation is that the writing of the poster is more of a draw than the particular topic.

It's an interesting thing to look at. What I did was find two decent, general numbers that over the averages would give a sense of the sort of poster we're looking at. Whether it's subject of comment that is tending to draw. The only thing I wish I'd done earlier was give the broader thread averages, so many looking in would have had a better opinion of their own position within the range, instead of thinking hitters numbers weren't, if you follow.