Three Men Marry (each other) in Colombia

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We are discussing a 16 year old, not a 2 year old.
Huge difference.
A difference of degree. The only reason I used a two year old was to dramatize the problem that exists for the 16 year old. Neither have the experience to value their actions and both suffer from significant biological impairment of impulse control and reasoning. And to some extent the ice cream has simply morphed into sex and other temptations that wouldn't interest the 2 year old, but are powerfully attractive to the imperative driven and poorly moderated reasoning of the teenager.

glassjester

Rather, you've evidenced a habit in this thread of calculated retreat to new positions instead of owning problems with the line of reasoning that gave birth to the tactic.

So you began with the slippery slope business while suggesting some have said gay marriage won't lead to polygamy. I noted that what I'd said on the topic was that it won't lead to legalizing pedophilia. I also noted that the slipper slope approach was actually nonsense though, and that gay marriage wouldn't lead to polygamy either, that polygamy would have to find its own feet, legally speaking.

And when Mr. Dante objected, I provided a list of several links showing pro-homosexual marriage authors publicly claiming that it would never lead to polygamy. Then Mr. Dante stopped responding.

What gay marriage consideration tells you is that our society is willing to reconsider laws relating to social institutions if those laws can be demonstrated to be contrary to Constitutional protection. Sometimes we are and sometimes we aren't. For a very long time society put up with slavery even though the men who wrote the Constitution understood its hypocrisy in light of that practice.

I thought the Constitution left marriage up to the states to regulate...

Anyway, your counter was that redefining marriage paved the way. Of course marriage wasn't so defined to begin with, legally. I set out the problematic history of it. And once gays weren't being criminalized and began attempting to use the contract THEN states resorted to an attempt to define by statute and the whole thing ended up in court after court.

Marriage was already defined as being between a man and a woman. State laws aren't a dictionaries. That's what marriage meant, prior to this same-sex nonsense.

Here's Webster's Dictionary's entry for "marriage," from 1992:
marriagetwo2two.jpg

Next thing I know it's about procreation. So I noted marriage wasn't about procreation, that the state made no demands or inquiry on the point and never had, though it would give you a tax break and would certainly value the contribution. You further suggested that the state allowing gay marriage opened the door to "any and all perversions." A concern that has no real basis in legal fact. I've regularly unhorsed the attempt by some around here to use that slope approach in relation to pedophilia, by way of example.

Except that now groups of men can get married in Colombia. It's only a matter of time.

You then asserted that gay marriage allowance would change the regard for the institution over time and compared gay marriage to an attack upon the institution. Later you evidenced a willingness to criminalize adultery as though it might be impactful, but were scornful of the notion that people would forgo entering into marriages over concerns relating to the law, which set up a problem of operating principle for you.

You don't think laws about marriage shape the public's opinion of it?

And now it's beastiality. . .

Yep.

glassjester

We're talking about sex. Kept within that parameter, your argument doesn't work.

We're talking about animals. Kept within that parameter, your argument doesn't work.

Why should you need an animal's consent? You don't need consent from an animal for literally anything else. Why should sex be the only exception? Why do you want to regulate people's private lives?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
We're talking about animals. Kept within that parameter, your argument doesn't work.

Because you conveniently left out what was being done with the animals, bestiality being your argument.

We're talking about sex with animals. In that parameter, your argument doesn't work.

glassjester

Because you conveniently left out what was being done with the animals, bestiality being your argument.

We're talking about sex with animals. In that parameter, your argument doesn't work.

I'm asking why sex should be the only exception, when literally no other actions with an animal require its consent. Your answer is... because it's sex?

That's begging the question.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm asking why sex should be the only exception, when literally no other actions with an animal require its consent. Your answer is... because it's sex?

That's begging the question.

No, that's you building a straw man.

I'm telling you why bestiality should be illegal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And when Mr. Dante objected, I provided a list of several links showing pro-homosexual marriage authors publicly claiming that it would never lead to polygamy. Then Mr. Dante stopped responding.
I'm only relating it to our conversation. That said, I'd agree it won't lead to, though it can be indicative of a general attitude that emboldens people to challenge on a point. I mean that polygamy has to stand or fall on its own merits. I will concede this, that in arguing for it you could use a broadened understanding of marriage as evidenced by the overturning of social convention in relation to marital restriction by gender, but the problem with the reference is that it puts power in the wrong place. What I mean is that restriction by gender, under any form, is actually running into constitutional problems on its own want of merit, historically.

I thought the Constitution left marriage up to the states to regulate...
That's one argument. If you want to know why the Court became involved there are all sorts of rulings on the point and I'd be happy to link you to some.

Marriage was already defined as being between a man and a woman. State laws aren't a dictionaries. That's what marriage meant, prior to this same-sex nonsense.
See, what you're saying is that the law didn't define it, but that tradition and social expectation set the limits. I think that's perfectly true. That's what marriage meant to the people who entered into it, or how they saw the contract (for those with a purely secular eye on the institution).

Except that now groups of men can get married in Colombia. It's only a matter of time.
All sorts of places have all sorts of laws. But they aren't our laws, lack our foundations, and largely have divergent thresholds, etc. So there's the argument about where the law is going in X and there's one about here and in our system. I can't speak to X necessarily but I understand the here and ours.

You don't think laws about marriage shape the public's opinion of it?
I think they mostly reflect it, which is why for generations the issue didn't arise. That said, I believe that the law does tend to normalize one sort of perception. Those who look at the world through a lens divorced from particular moral precept will see the law as a sort of substitute. But that lens was already indifferent at worst.

And I've never understood why those advancing a religious objection were only worried about the outcome of this unsanctified union. No one has ever given me an answer on the point. When atheists of any gender marry they do so outside of the blessing of God. That's what marriage must have for a Christian or what is it? It's as though we're reserving the right to mandate the acceptance of a purely religious standard for one group while leaving off on the other because they don't violate a gender bar.

I'd have to be convinced it's a worthwhile conversation of some bearing on a point that matters.

glassjester

No, that's you building a straw man.

I'm telling you why bestiality should be illegal.

I know, I know, because they can't consent. But that's the assumption I'm questioning. Why should we require consent from an animal?

And if we should require consent from animals for sex, then why shouldn't we require their consent to force them to mate (that's still sex, after all)? Or to capture them? Or to kill them?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I know, I know, because they can't consent. But that's the assumption I'm questioning. Why should we require consent from an animal?

It's not possible to require consent. :freak:

And if we should require consent from animals for sex, then why shouldn't we require their consent to force them to mate (that's still sex, after all)? Or to capture them? Or to kill them?

By all means, become a vegetarian and fight against animal cruelty. I wouldn't argue with you - but we're talking about your slippery slope argument against anything other than traditional heterosexual marriage. You wouldn't be able to take your argument regarding bestiality and use it in an argument against pedophilia. After all, we make kids go to bed at bedtime against their will, and we make them go to school and we make them mow the grass and take out the trash.

See why you have to stick to your main premise?

Edit: You can have the last word on this, I think I'm finished with this particular thread. :e4e:

glassjester

I'm only relating it to our conversation. That said, I'd agree it won't lead to, though it can be indicative of a general attitude that emboldens people to challenge on a point. I mean that polygamy has to stand or fall on its own merits. I will concede this, that in arguing for it you could use a broadened understanding of marriage as evidenced by the overturning of social convention in relation to marital restriction by gender,

Yes.

And those "merits," whatever they may be, would never even be presented to the judicial system if its proponents hadn't been emboldened, as you said, by the previous overturning of other marital restrictions.

but the problem with the reference is that it puts power in the wrong place. What I mean is that restriction by gender, under any form, is actually running into constitutional problems on its own want of merit, historically.

But that bit of logic won't stop people who, having seen marriage successfully redefined once, will seek to have it redefined to suit their own perverse views.

That's one argument. If you want to know why the Court became involved there are all sorts of rulings on the point and I'd be happy to link you to some.

Sure.

See, what you're saying is that the law didn't define it, but that tradition and social expectation set the limits. I think that's perfectly true. That's what marriage meant to the people who entered into it, or how they saw the contract (for those with a purely secular eye on the institution).

Yes, that's what it meant to the people entering it, and that's what it meant to those writing the word "marriage" in state laws. Same sex marriage, implicit in those laws, was an oxymoron. There was no need to explicitly forbid it any more than there's a need to outlaw 4-sided triangles. It's ruled out, by definition of the term.

All sorts of places have all sorts of laws. But they aren't our laws, lack our foundations, and largely have divergent thresholds, etc. So there's the argument about where the law is going in X and there's one about here and in our system. I can't speak to X necessarily but I understand the here and ours.

I think they mostly reflect it, which is why for generations the issue didn't arise. That said, I believe that the law does tend to normalize one sort of perception. Those who look at the world through a lens divorced from particular moral precept will see the law as a sort of substitute. But that lens was already indifferent at worst.

That could be. But why worsen it?
Look at, for example, the public perception of abortion. It's become more and more acceptable since Roe V. Wade, no?

And I've never understood why those advancing a religious objection were only worried about the outcome of this unsanctified union. No one has ever given me an answer on the point.

I agree. There are many other affronts to marriage and family.

When atheists of any gender marry they do so outside of the blessing of God.

Not according to Catholic teaching.

That's what marriage must have for a Christian or what is it? It's as though we're reserving the right to mandate the acceptance of a purely religious standard for one group while leaving off on the other because they don't violate a gender bar.

Again, this problem is not an issue for Catholics. I can't speak for other Christians. They may have similar doctrine on the matter.

I'd have to be convinced it's a worthwhile conversation of some bearing on a point that matters.

The only related point that it addresses is whether the state should regulate private sex acts that do not harm anyone.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...amorous-family-three-men-legally-established/

"Same sex marriage will never lead to polygamy," they said.
"That slippery slope argument is nonsense," they said.

Genesis 16 (Hagar and Ishmael)

1 Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children.
But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar;

2 so she said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having children.
Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.”
Abram agreed to what Sarai said.

3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife.

4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.

Abraham fathered "Ishmael" with his wife's Egyptian slave, Hagar, and yet God still considered him to be "righteous!"

The Bible is replete with different marriage arrangements, many of which would not meet with approval by today's standards!

Unless we are arguing that the "state" should intrude into the bedrooms of the nation, why don't we all get a life and move on!

glassjester

It's not possible to require consent. :freak:

You know what I mean... I think. The law requires consent be given in order for people to engage in sex. Otherwise, it's rape.

But the law does not require that an animal's consent be given in order to do anything at all to that animal. So the laws against bestiality must have a basis other than consent.

If you kill an animal, it's not murder.
If you capture an animal, it's not kidnapping.
If you keep one as a pet, it's not wrongful imprisonment.
If you buy or sell one, it's not slavery.

By all means, become a vegetarian and fight against animal cruelty. I wouldn't argue with you - but we're talking about your slippery slope argument against anything other than traditional heterosexual marriage. You wouldn't be able to take your argument regarding bestiality and use it in an argument against pedophilia. After all, we make kids go to bed at bedtime against their will, and we make them go to school and we make them mow the grass and take out the trash.

See why you have to stick to your main premise?

This is a bit mixed up. I am not the one actually arguing that bestiality laws are based on consent. You are.

I'm saying you're wrong. The law doesn't give a darn about an animal's consent or lack thereof. Consent is for people. (and kids are people)

glassjester

Abraham fathered "Ishmael" with his wife's servant, and yet God considered him be "righteous!"

The Bible is replete with different marriage arrangements that would not be approved by today's standards!

Do you care what the Bible says about sex or marriage?
If you do, we can discuss homosexual marriage on a scriptural basis.
If not, then why did you bring it up?

unless we are arguing that the "state" should be intruding into the bedrooms of the nation, why don't we all get a life and move on!

Do you believe the state should intrude into the bedroom of a man who engages in bestiality?