This is what emboldened white supremacists look like

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
enhanced-8329-1435171604-3.jpg

drbrumley

We don't have a single statue honoring one in my county. There are parks and plaques noting historical occurrences from the war, which is preserving history. Not a single monument to one of the losers though.

Which is little more than a historical marker unless you think graves are celebratory.

No, not at all. The statues are a different matter and the reasons for my and many people's objections have been noted. Beyond that, when the people of a community desire to see those lamentable monuments removed it's a public good and how they spend their money to that end is none of your business.

My position is in support of their efforts. I've never suggested a law or mandate to make a community act reasonably on the point. I don't believe it's necessary. Time and consideration will work that good, community by community. Those testaments to actual bigotry are on their way out, and rightfully so.

You're Southern?

In any event, only someone with a distorted and irrational world view could confuse bringing down statues fashioned to praise the ignoble, the actually bigoted mindset that produced the Civil War with an attempt to destroy history.

Yes. Apologists for the cause of the South in that war are essentially responsible for the ongoing harm it does. If we'd buried it with the war instead of commemorating and ennobling it then who knows how many lives we might have spared.

Since you believe, wrongly I might add, these monuments glorify our racist past, let's tear down the Lincoln memorial in Washington DC as well....

drbrumley

You gotta understand something folks......people like town and rex and the rest of the so called progressives don't give a crap about the constitution or bill of rights or anything like that....or dare I say, freedom itself..