This is what emboldened white supremacists look like

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did he say anything like your hero Bill Maher this past Friday?
Wasn't it just a week or two ago he did a show about how liberals should stop asking other liberals to apologize for things they say that are not PC?

rexlunae

Wasn't it just a week or two ago he did a show about how liberals should stop asking other liberals to apologize for things they say that are not PC?

That's one of his favorite themes. And while he does have a nugget of a point, he's mostly way off base.

ClimateSanity

My "hero" Bill Maher:

1. Should absolutely not have said what he did.
2. Has already apologized.
3. Has been widely condemned by others on the left.

Ok, your turn. Show me where Trump has ever apologized for any of his horrible comments.
What horrible comments?

ClimateSanity

So that's more than Trump has ever done in his entire wretched life.

It's been 24 hours. On a weekend.

Whether he's forgiven or not isn't up to me. But I don't think that in substance it's as bad as a lot of what Trump has said.

As far as I know, he's never uttered a slur on camera.

How about when he said that Alberto Gonzalez couldn't be fair to him because he's "Mexican"?
That's not the totality of his statement. Also look at his clarifying remarks. It's not what you make it out to be.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's one of his favorite themes. And while he does have a nugget of a point, he's mostly way off base.
I thought he was spot on with this part.

(It's Bill Maher, so watch at your own risk)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What horrible comments?
That's what we are trying to find out.
I don't recall him saying anything about being a white supremacist racist.

And it's outright stupid to claim that because white supremacist groups voted for him, it makes him a white supremacist racist.
I mean, who in the world did they think the white supremacist groups were gonna vote for? ......... Hillary? :doh:

rexlunae

Take Trump out of it for a moment, and just look at Bill Maher. I think there's a tremendous amount of value in his show, and how he approaches discourse, because he's one of the few places where you actually can get every side. He will bring on anyone with a unique perspective, agree, disagree, whatever, and that's almost impossible to find anywhere on television anymore. And he's also not afraid to have an imperfect conversation. A lot of commentators don't want to say anything until they know the party line. Bill doesn't wait for that, and he doesn't hew to it if he doesn't agree with it. Sometimes, he says horrible things, or does horrible things, because he doesn't follow any orthodoxy. If his show goes off the air, it will be a huge loss to the culture.

That being said, there are lots of reasons to criticize him, and this recent comment, while it certainly is the clearest example I know of him crossing a real important cultural taboo, in substance I don't think it's even the worst thing he's said on his show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bill-maher-history-bigoted-comments_us_5932bcb5e4b02478cb9beaf6

Now, no one here has defended Maher. Folks just brought him up as if somehow a guy on the putative left can balance out Trump's misdeeds, and just expected that people would defend him, and that would somehow make it a wash. It doesn't. Two wrongs don't make a right, and Bill Maher is a guy with a TV show. Donald Trump wields real political power, and has the support of a real political coalition.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How is Trump claiming Gonzales is Mexican, when he is Mexican, supposed to be racist???????????????
The judge Trump said he believed was Mexican was Gonzalo Curiel, who was born in Chicago, went to law school in Indiana, then worked in California prosecuting drug smugglers. His parents were Mexican citizens before becoming U.S. citizens. Curiel has always been an American.

Mexican isn't a racial recognition, but presuming that someone with parents who were once Mexican citizens is incapable of being fair because of that could be reflective of a bigoted mindset as is calling that individual a Mexican when he isn't and never has been, singularly to continue the inference of unfairness that is being attributed to anyone, apparently, with that family tree.