This is what emboldened white supremacists look like

exminister

There are thousands of these monuments throughout almost every single county of the South.

Not to mention cemetery sections devoted exclusively to Confederate soldiers.

And the intolerant bigots want to destroy it all, and make you pay for their destruction.
The big waste of money was to build them all. Germany outlawed building monuments to their Nazi bigotry. Quite the savings. Penny saved, penny earned.

Lon

Here is the question I asked: Is there a category of monuments that conservatives wouldn't support?

As long as we are comparing apples to apples instead of bananas and oranges: I have no problem with a statue of General Lee &/or General Grant.

WizardofOz

No they arent, at all. With a statue, a parent can choose what to teach their children about it, or ignore it.

"If it's not for you, ignore it." That's basically what Kat Savage's position is.

This all reminds me of the t-beam found from the WTC and the debate I had with Silent Hunter about it being included in the WTC Memorial.
As I said, I agree that these monuments should stay. But, if enough people who live where they are legally have them removed and/or moved, who is anyone to tell them what they can and can not do with their community?

If they end up in a museum or a memorial on private land, what is the detriment? At least with New Orleans, the people spoke and wanted them removed. The mayor agreed. The city council held hearings open to all and voted to remove them.

The only illegal aspects are the vandalism and the death threats/car being torched. Everything else was handled legally.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The big waste of money was to build them all. Germany outlawed building monuments to their Nazi bigotry. Quite the savings. Penny saved, penny earned.
You can't do anything about money that has already been wasted.
:doh:
But you can sure stop the waste now before spending another dime on such foolishness.

Arthur Brain

I'm talking about statues/monuments. Regardless, the situations simply aren't comparable. If conservatives are as oppressed as some say they are then we'll see how things look in 20 years.

Eh, some folk are just desperate to claim they're being oppressed so they can whinge about it and claim some sort of 'martyrdom'...labels don't really matter.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
But, if enough people who live where they are legally have them removed and/or moved, who is anyone to tell them what they can and can not do with their community?

Isnt that what i said about harvey milk?

The drag queen thing though, isnt comparible in discussion, it was comparible only to the disney thing, which is why it was even mentioned.

drbrumley

If they end up in a museum or a memorial on private land, what is the detriment? At least with New Orleans, the people spoke and wanted them removed. The mayor agreed. The city council held hearings open to all and voted to remove them.

The people spoke? Was there a vote or something...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm talking about statues/monuments. Regardless, the situations simply aren't comparable. If conservatives are as oppressed as some say they are then we'll see how things look in 20 years.

I agree, the picture of a persons home with grafiti on it, who references trump, is not the same thing as defacing public monuments - in other words what you keep trying desperately to compare, isnt comparable.

exminister

still0104_00003.jpg

This is the best "monument" so far. The others glorify killing and for what-to enslave a race. The dying part is what to remember and the value of the dying. This war fortunately the south lost because freedom was gained. Just like WWII.

Some of the monuments prior remind me of Soviet war glorification monuments.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is the best "monument" so far. The others glorify killing and for what-to enslave a race. The dying part is what to remember and the value of the dying. This war fortunately the south lost because freedom was gained. Just like WWII.

Some of the monuments prior remind me of Soviet war glorification monuments.
You're lucky you get to see that before it is vandalized and marked with 'black lives matter' graffiti like so many of the other Confederate gravesites are.

Lon

Why is there a comparison between Stonewall Jackson and Adolf Hitler??????????? :confused:

Who in the world hates/hated him that bad?????? :idunno:

I never got that memo of how I should think of the Civil War in terms of Nazi wickedness... :think:
Dwight D. Eisenhower: "General Robert E. Lee was...one of the supremely gifted men produced by this Nation...Through all his many trials he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his belief in God...he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history...I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall."
Winston Churchill: "Lee was the noblest American who ever lived and one of the greatest commanders known to the annals of war."
Booker T. Washington: "The first white people in America to exhibit interest in reaching the Negro and saving his soul in the medium of the Sunday-school were Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson."
Field Marshall Viscount Sir Garnet Wolseley: "...I believe all will admit that General Lee towered far above all men on either side...he will be regarded as the great American of the 19th century, whose statue is well worthy to stand on an equal pedestal with Washington, and whose memory is worthy to be enshrined in the hearts of all his countrymen."
Andy Griffith, aka Ben Matlock: In all of Matlock's trials in the Atlanta courtroom there are portraits on the walls as in most courtrooms anywhere. While in most cases these portraits are of distinguished members of the judiciary, there are two distinct and unusual portraits in Matlock's courtroom. On the back wall are portraits of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. This cannot be an accident. It has to be a subtle effort in support and admiration of these men. -Barry Cook, Chaplain of the Major John C. Hutto Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans, in Jasper, Alabama

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It's disgusting. I'm so sick of these liberal idiots....loot and destroy in the name of tolerance and "love" for their fellow man. Hypocrites all.

Looting is NOT a legitimate form of protest.

See video on this page : http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-22/charlotte-riots-what-they-are-not-telling-you

Note - video there is not appropriate for work, or town heretic.

(i would post the video instead of a page containing it, except whining liberals had the man censored, since they dont like the message)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The people spoke? Was there a vote or something...
Yes. That's how councils of local government form and how they function. The same is true for Congress. We vote in people to speak for us, negotiate and stand. If they don't do the job we can fire them.

Here's something from the mayor of New Orleans:

New Orleans was also America’s largest slave market: a port where hundreds of thousands of souls were brought, sold and shipped up the Mississippi River to lives of misery and torture. Our history is forever intertwined with that of our great nation — including its most terrible sins. We must always remember our history and learn from it. But that doesn’t mean we must valorize the ugliest chapters, as we do when we put the Confederacy on a pedestal — literally — in our most prominent public places.

The record is clear: New Orleans’s Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and P.G.T. Beauregard statues were erected with the goal of rewriting history to glorify the Confederacy and perpetuate the idea of white supremacy. These monuments stand not as mournful markers of our legacy of slavery and segregation, but in reverence of it. They are an inaccurate recitation of our past, an affront to our present and a poor prescription for our future.

Just like the decision to publicly recognize the tragic significance of that stone, removing New Orleans’s Confederate monuments from places of prominence is an acknowledgment that it is time to take stock of, and then move past, a painful part of our history. Anything less would render generations of courageous struggle and soul-searching a truly lost cause.